Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Sega Game Room / Man Cave - Decoration Question

Apr 14 at 12:15:34 AM
maelwys (139)
(Mike W) < Seven Force >
Pennsylvania
Hey gang - I'm FINALLY getting my game room set up. It's my old workshop in the basement, but since I just finished adding a garage on the house, I'm moving everything up there and now have this open space to use for my own purposes! The room is 13x13, so not huge, has a drain pipe in one corner, and is pretty dingy at the moment.

Here is the corner with the pipe. To the left is the doorway in, and to the right is a storage area. I'm planning to put the TV and consoles on the right wall, and may leave the left wall open for a few collectables shelves and some artwork. The walls behind this will hold my custom shelves with the collection, as well as the Sega display case which I am finally getting ready. Will probably do some carpet squares in a neutral color. My question now is: painting it!

One idea: pipe in Sonic blue, with a Genesis red and 32x yellow stripe around the whole room. Too McDonalds?

Or maybe just an accent wall in the yellow?
\

Any other ideas? Links to cool themed rooms? Open to all suggestions!

Apr 14 at 2:45:13 AM
flatuswalrus (54)
(Mr. Dane) < Max Thunder >
Queensland
I personally not paint the PVC pipe its own colour. I would paint it the same colour as the wall to help blend it in and since that is the wall (if I read correctly) that your TV and consoles are going on I would cut any shelving to wrap around the pipe and hide the horizontal part with items along the top on a shelf. Either that or I would put corner display cabinets in the corners of the room on that one wall to help hide the pipe. I would try and hide it instead of making it stand out.

Apr 14 at 9:42:11 AM
cyberguile (2)

(joe musashi) < Alex Kidd >
France
Do not put anything valuable under the pipe.
A friend of mine lost thousands and thousands of euros worth of stuff in one night because the pipe leaked (similar situation in his game room)

Apr 14 at 9:23:17 PM
flatuswalrus (54)
Queensland
How handy are you Mike ol' chap? Before you paint it, buy the smallest container of PVC cement and put some more around the joins just for good measure and peace of mind. Then, when you paint buy the smallest tin of wet-area undercoat to help create a membrane. That stuff is not needed obviously but as my nan used to say "every little bit helps says the blind man as he piddled in the river". Regarding hiding it. Maybe you could build a little 'case' around it.

Maybe attach some 35mm battens around the pipe and put something like this on it: http://www.mlbuildingdirectltd.co...

You could put it on hinges to be able to access it or in the unlikely event that you do have to access it just use a few dollops of liquid nails to attach the material so it will never move until you want or need to jimmy it off.

Are you going to replace that ugly office-style ceiling and put up some plasterboard? I know it is extra work but it would look so much better. I would do that, but I am a big old silly bum.

Edited: 04/14/2019 at 09:25 PM by flatuswalrus

Apr 15 at 11:29:20 PM
maelwys (139)
(Mike W) < Seven Force >
Pennsylvania
Thank you for the ideas! Excellent point about the pipe - I can absolutely seal up the joints a bit more and box it in. I was going with the paint option because, honestly, lazy. And I thought it might look cool. If I were a Nintendo collector, you can bet I'd be painting it green and slapping Mario stickers on it.

I have a large hanging lamp I can put over the pipe that would hide at least the downward part. And on the TV wall, I like the idea of a high shelf for small display items or figurines that can hide it a bit. This bears consideration. As for the ceiling, I hate the tiles but not planning to replace. Would have to re-route a lot of wiring and plumbing into the floor joists and the whole basement is done the same way, so it'd be a massive chore. What I could do though is replace those tiles with something less objectionable - maybe paint them even.

Any other color ideas from the peanut gallery? Open to any suggestions before I break out the credit card and paint rollers.

Apr 16 at 3:49:11 AM
flatuswalrus (54)
Queensland
I have done some things with my current ongoing house renovation to save time and money only to go back and redo it because cutting corners is never a good thing. So, I would say always to go the extra yard as you will be happier in the long-run. However, just painting the ceiling would spruce it up and make it far less of an eye-sore. Painting the pipe the same colour as the wall and then hiding it with a high shelf and something like your lamp would be more than sufficient and of course is easier. Here in Australia The Mega Drive was always blue and black, but over there the two dominant colours seem to be black and red. I would personally go with a nice blue and black shelving/accents. I like this blue: https://cdn.homedit.com/wp-conten...

Though I know that is probably far from the yellow and red that you were contemplating.

Apr 16 at 6:21:52 PM
maelwys (139)
(Mike W) < Seven Force >
Pennsylvania
Hmm, so what about something like this:

Lose the blue and yellow from the CD and 32x respectively, and focus on the red/black/grey scheme of the US Genesis games. The TV and TV stand are black, so that would go on the red wall, and do the rest of the room in a grey color. Sealcoat the pipe and possibly block it in, and possibly paint the ceiling tiles black or grey. Too dark? It is a man 'cave' not a man 'cloud'.

Apr 16 at 7:17:55 PM
flatuswalrus (54)
Queensland
Ha, "man cloud" sounds so gay, I now wish to have a man cloud room.

I think those colours you've demoed above go well together. I like it.