Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Unusual start up message on Genesis game Need help on if this is hacked cart or something

Mar 12 at 9:43:21 AM
John12880 (0)

< Flicky >
Hello,

I had a question about a Genesis cartridge I bought off eBay. The guy was a 100% rated buyer, and said the cartridge had been "cleaned and tested". However, when I received it and put it in, it gave me the message "First time initialization complete. Press "Reset" to continue." Now I've played it and it seems to be all working fine, but everytime I turn the power off then back on, it gives me this message. I've tried it in a regular Genesis and a Super Retro Trio, and it happens in both. Does this mean the cartridge is damaged? Is this a hack? Or is this just a rare fluke? I don't know how to add a picture on here, if it would help let me know how.
Thanks!
Daniel

Mar 12 at 10:31:16 AM
maelwys (134)
(Mike W) < Bio-Hazard Battler >
Pennsylvania
Which game is it?

Mar 12 at 10:51:12 AM
John12880 (0)

< Flicky >
Al Michaels Announces HardBall III

Mar 13 at 12:57:20 AM
dballin (22)
(Dave Balls) < Dr. Robotnik >
Rhode Island
Pretty sure its just a dead battery.

Mar 13 at 1:29:20 AM
John12880 (0)

< Flicky >
Is that something I can easily replace? How long do cartridge batteries last? And how does it gain power through the console?
Please forgive my noob-ishness, I've never had this problem before and would like to be able to prevent it in my other Genesis games.

Mar 13 at 1:49:23 AM
flatuswalrus (54)
(Mr. Dane) < Max Thunder >
Queensland
Cartridge batteries don't have a specific lifespan as it depends on how often it is used and environmental factors can contribute also such as where or how it is stored. I don’t think they get power from the console, I’m pretty sure it just acts like a battery being that it is its own source and eventually runs out. You can replace it yourself. If someone is kind enough to explain here that's cool but you'll get a lot more out of looking up a tutorial video from YouTube as there's quite a few or even a blog with images. I'm a visual person so I prefer videos or photos myself.

Edited: 03/13/2019 at 01:56 AM by flatuswalrus

Mar 13 at 2:08:08 AM
John12880 (0)

< Flicky >
Ok, I'll check that out; good to know that it's nothing serious.
Thank you so much!

Mar 13 at 2:26:08 AM
dballin (22)
(Dave Balls) < Dr. Robotnik >
Rhode Island
Yeah genesis carts usually have standard cr2032 coin cell batteries. They don't charge from the console and just lose charge over time and eventually need to be replaced. It's a simple process if you know how to solder and buy tabbed replacements which are also fairly cheap. You don't want the loose batteries because soldering the tabs back on may cause them to explode. Not ideal.

Mar 13 at 2:40:53 AM
flatuswalrus (54)
Queensland
& if you have not done any soldering before, like everything, it can be daunting but it is really easy. Once again, there are HEAPS of video tutorials on soldering. You do not have to break the bank also because there are some really cheap soldering irons/kits out there. You do get what you pay for but there is no need to break the bank when you are just doing something little and simple every once in a while. I bought this one for doing my guitar wiring:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/60W-E...

EDIT: If you want to practice soldering, practice on a Shaq-Fu cartridge first.

Edited: 03/13/2019 at 02:43 AM by flatuswalrus

Mar 13 at 8:29:40 AM
maelwys (134)
(Mike W) < Bio-Hazard Battler >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: flatuswalrus

EDIT: If you want to practice soldering, practice on a Shaq-Fu cartridge first.

When will this unfounded cruelty to Shaq-Fu end?!

Only thing to note is that when you replace the battery, you will lose any saves that might be on the cart already. Not really any convenient way around this - just something to be aware of. 

Mar 13 at 4:50:54 PM
flatuswalrus (54)
Queensland
Originally posted by: maelwys

When will this unfounded cruelty to Shaq-Fu end?!
Either when the creators issue an official apology or the game magically morphs into something playable and good.

Here is my top ten worst SEGA Mega Drive games:

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/flatuswalrus/my-top-10-worst-...

Edited: 03/13/2019 at 09:57 PM by flatuswalrus