Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Help with Shaky Video - Genesis 2

Jul 08 at 10:25:21 PM
mathewbeall (0)

< Flicky >
Hi Folks - first post here.  I pulled my old Genesis out of the closet and hooked it up to a Sony TV that I have my SNES and original Xbox hooked up to.  

Using the Composite AV cable - after a few minutes the screen starts to shake, lose sync, etc.  I have tried different inputs on the TV - same thing happens, with multiple cartridges.  

I plug in the RF adapter - no problems at all.

I borrowed a friend's Genesis (rev 2) and it has the same problem.

Before I go out and spend $12 on a new A/V cable - does this sound like that is about the only thing that could be causing the issue?  I also haven't tried a new power supply, but figure if it works fine with the RF adapter, that wouldn't be it.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Jul 09 at 3:36:14 PM
poppj (6)
(Jeremy Popp) < Flicky >
Ohio
Originally posted by: mathewbeall

Hi Folks - first post here.  I pulled my old Genesis out of the closet and hooked it up to a Sony TV that I have my SNES and original Xbox hooked up to.  

Using the Composite AV cable - after a few minutes the screen starts to shake, lose sync, etc.  I have tried different inputs on the TV - same thing happens, with multiple cartridges.  

I plug in the RF adapter - no problems at all.

I borrowed a friend's Genesis (rev 2) and it has the same problem.

Before I go out and spend $12 on a new A/V cable - does this sound like that is about the only thing that could be causing the issue?  I also haven't tried a new power supply, but figure if it works fine with the RF adapter, that wouldn't be it.

Thanks in advance!

Matt
That's interesting.  I've repaired several genesis consoles and never encountered anything like that.  My first suggestions would be the av cable or the power supply.   Since it happened with 2 different genesis consoles, it's hard to believe the console itself has any issues.  Are you running it though a vcr, or just straight rca cable input?  BTW, if you don't mind waiting several weeks, you can get a new av cable from china pretty cheap:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Composite-3RCA-Audio-Video-AV-Conne...

Jul 09 at 3:50:53 PM
mathewbeall (0)

< Flicky >
Thanks Poppj - I will grab another cable - I have a feeling I just got a bad one from Amazon, the one I got was from Retro-Bit. I will try a different brand and report back!

Thanks,

Matt

Jul 09 at 3:57:34 PM
Podmax (37)
(M J) < Dr. Robotnik >
Texas
Have you tried the system on another tv? What's the make of your TV? Maybe it cant handle the the genesis resolution (320x224) through its AV port. Just throwing out ideas

-------------------------
"When in this state of mind, the controller becomes held like the last rung of a ladder that mid-90's Bruce Willis is hanging onto for dear life above a paper mache replica of the New York City skyline covered in cement, broken glass, and Lego pieces." ~ Galacticlint

SegaAge Discord Chat invite link : https://discord.gg/N...

Jul 09 at 4:27:24 PM
mathewbeall (0)

< Flicky >
Thought about that - but it's a Sony Wega Trinitron (27"). I would be surprised if it couldn't handle it. I have 8 other "old" video game systems hooked up to it and none of them have any issues at all.

Matt

Jul 10 at 1:40:09 PM
poppj (6)
(Jeremy Popp) < Flicky >
Ohio
One thing I just thought of would be replacing the capacitors. I once had a 32x that would work perfect for 2 minutes, then you'd start seeing garbled and distorted graphics (new caps fixed it). Also, check out this thread on atariage:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/...

He replaced the CXA1145P IC

Edited: 07/10/2018 at 01:40 PM by poppj

Jul 11 at 11:15:02 PM
mathewbeall (0)

< Flicky >
Just following up on this - it was indeed the AV cable! Glad it's all working and it was an easy, and cheap fix!

Matt