Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Loading...

GameBoy Game on Sega Game Gear - Help! Is this even possible?

Feb 18 at 10:47:48 AM
Telekill (0)
avatar
< Flicky >
Posts: 6 - Joined: 02/16/2018
Colorado
Profile
Ok guys,

I am looking to do what is potentially impossible. If you took a look at my first post in the Welcome forum, you'll know that my one gripe about the Sega Game Gear is that there was never a Ninja Turtles game on the Game Gear while there was three of them on the original GameBoy. That got me to thinking that perhaps there is now a way to get a GameBoy game onto a Sega Game Gear cartridge for play on the Game Gear. I've seen all sorts of varient cartridges such as multicarts (even on GameBoy and Game Gear), emulators for GBA playing NES or even Game Gear games from a GBA cart, and then of course the crazy amounts of cartridge modding ranging across all cartridge based systems.

So far, I've done enough research that I've seen there is a cartridge called the EverDrive across most cartridge based systems including Game Gear. I did some digging and apparently that is a dead end for me as the EverDrive is built to only run Game Gear and Master System games on it. If I'm doing that, I'm going to simply get the actual real cartridges for my collection. I'm wanting to see if I can get this project up and running because I simply want a Ninja Turtles game on my Sega Game Gear. I've even created the box art for the would be game on my preferred system (see attached). 



Thanks for the help guys. I understand there's a very real possibility of this not becoming a reality.


Edited: 02/18/2018 at 12:02 PM by Telekill

Aug 04 at 9:32:26 PM
Telekill (0)
avatar
< Flicky >
Posts: 6 - Joined: 02/16/2018
Colorado
Profile
UPDATE:

After much research it appears that simply porting the Ninja Turtles game to the Game Gear will not be possible unless someone else dedicated to the cause that is good at coding on both Game Gear and GameBoy were to jump into the project.

What is more possible is to swap the sprites of an already created Game Gear ROM with that of the Ninja Turtles. Challenge Accepted!

I'll keep you guys posted.

Aug 05 at 3:44:56 AM
MODERATOR
flatuswalrus (54)
avatar
(Mr. Dane) < Max Thunder >
Posts: 7607 - Joined: 11/12/2010
Queensland
Profile
It is definitely possible. Any game could be ported from one system to another with sometimes leaving it the same, upgrading or downgrading it to meet the 'new' system's capabilities. Though you have to know that coding/programming as you said, and I do not. Are you wanting to keep it as is or colorize it?

Aug 09 at 2:05:37 AM
Telekill (0)
avatar
< Flicky >
Posts: 6 - Joined: 02/16/2018
Colorado
Profile
Thanks for the reply.

I have found that the best method for me is to not convert the game itself but instead, to alter a ROM with my own hack. It wouldn't touch the coding but instead would be a sprite hack.
I've decided to alter the Streets of Rage 2 ROM for Game Gear similar to that of the one for Genesis, but instead of merely doing the Turtles, I would be altering the playable characters
and the enemies so that it felt more like a classic Ninja Turtles game on the NES.

I have big plans but I'm a novice when it comes to ROM hacking. I've joined a ROM hacking community in the hopes of getting some info but they are slow to respond and I've hit a wall.
This particular wall is that it appears that the Streets of Rage 2 ROM has some kind of compression for the graphics causing them to look garbled for the most part. Most part being
about 90%. The other 10% consists of two of the characters having one move each that's viewable, what I believe is the title screen that will be altered, and then some random text.
I don't even have access to the basic walk motion.

So, I am trying to find out if there is a way to decompress the graphics on the GG ROM or even use one that can handle SMS ROMS as they are very similar. If you know of any
communities or help sites that I could turn too, please let me know. I hit the wall last night so I'm still researching.

Thanks.