Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

The Sega Master System of 1986

Feb 06 at 12:27:05 AM
sean42 (0)
(----FATHER TIME----- VIDEO GAMES IN 1972) < Tom-Tom >
United States
Hi Everyone
     Ok you all have seen my post and charts on the Sega Genesis. Well as everyone knows I am
pretty old. My brother who has passed on for a couple years now told me about a Sega Master system but it
never did click in my brain what is was. I now have one and it pretty cool since this is the first one I have ever seen.
I have seen just about every game system ever made from the beginning. This one just never made it to me.
Anyways I want to know some really great games I could get for this thing.
The Titles of the games. I thought about doing a dating chart for the Sega Master System but the Genesis seems to
be going good. I started that in 2013 and it grown alot. I am about to up date that list again.
If anyone currios a little while ago I Lost a bid for a Sega master system that would of had the Serial number 525 and that very
low. I left out the manufacturing plant number and date code as well run numbers.
This was a 1986 machine with the serial number 525. This would have been one of the very first ones ever released in the united States.
Well enough of that I did get one from 1986 that fully works and now I am ready to get lots of games for it.
Just would like to get some good titles.

Thanks
Everyone.

Feb 06 at 12:53:10 AM
flatuswalrus (54)
(Mr. Dane) < Max Thunder >
Queensland
That is great you finally get to see one after all these years. The SEGA Master System was superior to the Nintendo Entertainment System but SEGA lost the advertising wars and there are not nearly as many titles. I made this list of my personal favourites for the system:

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/fl...

There might be a few there that tickles your fancy.

Feb 06 at 1:36:30 AM
sean42 (0)
(----FATHER TIME----- VIDEO GAMES IN 1972) < Tom-Tom >
United States
Thanks That list will sure help out alot. I did read where the Sega master had 8K of normal ram but 16K of Video Ram.
Here is What I do not get. The Z80 Chip is capable of handling at least 64K of Ram. If I had been Sega I would of at least
set up 16K of Normal Ram with 16K of Video Ram that on 32K of Ram. Which is still only about half the Memory that the Z80
could of addressed. The cartridges went up to 4 megabytes so it would have made for quicker loading on larger games.
The NES still make no sense to me.

Here is what most say of the Ram For the NES

The NES contains 2 kB of onboard work RAM. A game cartridge may contain expanded RAM to increase this amount. The size of NES games varies from 8 kB (Galaxian) to 1 MB (Metal Slader Glory), but 128 to 384 kB was the most common.

I also read the NES had about 2K of Video Ram as well.

I dont know but I have program computers that only had about 2K on board Ram and they did not do much, so how Nintendo got this work as well as they did is amazing to me. Again I think most NES cartridges added extra RAM to the System which would explain Why they need a 72 pin Connector.
I read where they went with 72 pin connector just to save a few cents on making them. Anyways no big deal.

Back to the Sega Master System . Runs a 4 Mhz clock speed verses 1.79 Mhz. 8K of on board RAM and 16K of Video Ram.
The machine had alot going for it in the 1980s.  In 1985 and 1986 most home computers were only running between 16K to 64K
Max. Some Apple computers only came with 48K. Atari introduce the 130XE that actually came with a 132K of RAM but most the memory had
to be done in Banking it. That kind of hard to explain since the 6502 chip could only access 64 K at a time.
Anyways do not want to get to technical in this thread.

Still wish sega would have taken the full avantage of having the Z80 CPU which would of handle 64K great.
They still made it work great with 8K of on board RAM and 16K of Video Ram. This is still 24K of Ram in total.

Well lets get back to the games. I do not want to go on about technical things and bore people with them.
I am an Electronic Engineer and that would be very easy to do and been doing this longer than most people been alive.
I have the earliest example of the Odyssey made in 1972 and yes that means I have the lowest Serial number known to exist.
I have the 4 lowest serial numbers and that because I was around in 1972 when they came out. Well I have been around way before 1972
but we will not get into that then I will start dating myself.

Now back to the fun stuff the games.

Thanks

Edited: 02/06/2019 at 02:18 AM by sean42

Feb 06 at 11:22:27 PM
flatuswalrus (54)
(Mr. Dane) < Max Thunder >
Queensland
Yes, unfortunately, that was pretty much all gobbledygook to me, haha.

Feb 09 at 12:48:16 PM
Nordak (0)
< Tom-Tom >
Arkansas
I like flatuswalrus' list, and would add: Wonderboy in Monsterland, Kenseiden, Spellcaster, Phantasy Star, Space Harrier. As my very first game console that was mine-all-mine, when everyone else was rockin' the NES, it could be a lonely world as a Sega kid. I have a soft spot for this system, and think it's a vastly (here it comes) overlooked gem.