Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Getting out of collecting?

Aug 07 at 10:03:51 AM
Professor Gull (7)
(Professor Gull) < Neff >
Iowa
So this weekend 3 of the members of my Facebok collectors group just dumped their collections for good and got out of retro collecting al together. Anyone else out there seeing this trend? Could the mean the end of the gaming/colecting bubble?

-------------------------
I tried doing nothing and always ended up doing something instead.

I don't check here on weekends so bear with me folks thats just my private game time not meant to be interrupted.

https://www.facebook.com/professo...
Gull Gaming on Youtube!
https://twitter.com/ProfessorDotG...

Aug 07 at 2:25:14 PM
mydogsrule (155)

(Jonathan Smith) < Alex Kidd >
Tennessee
No, but collecting can get expensive especially to newer collectors. If my brother and I hadn't began collecting for almost 20 years then we wouldn't bother starting due to cost. Anyway, some people put themselves in a hole they can't get out of. However, others loose interest or want to sell to put the money towards something else.

Aug 07 at 3:46:41 PM
The Count (100)
(Grant X.) < Neff >
Minnesota
I don't know if collectors are checking out more often these days than in the past, but it's always been that way. The plus side being that more stuff is for sale now.

Aug 07 at 4:40:00 PM
flatuswalrus (54)
(Mr. Dane) < Dr. Zan >
Queensland
I personally never lost interest. I just ran out of room and it was getting too expensive. Also, I felt like collecting became more prominent than playing and my priorities changed. So all that combined I decided to sell and just play now via emulation.

Aug 08 at 5:25:33 PM
dballin (22)
(Dave Balls) < Dr. Robotnik >
Rhode Island
I spend almost $1300 a month on repaying student loans. It doesn't leave a lot of cash left over to spend on games which is not conducive to collecting as prices continue to shoot through the roof. I don't miss much of anything I sold 3 or 4 years ago to buy my car either so I've never really gotten back into the swing of things. I rarely pick up anything new, but selling is a giant pain in the peehole so there's no motivation to do so either. Plus prices keep going up so my "investment" is getting better everyday right?

Aug 12 at 9:41:30 AM
TheGreyGhost (3)
< Tom-Tom >
Ontario
Cant say Ive heard of this or noticed this. I always ask around the local game stores too to see if there has been any change in demand but apparently no. Im still happily collecting albeit slowly. Still enjoy the hunt and finding deals.

-------------------------
NA Game Gear loose cart collection: 98\233

Aug 12 at 1:19:52 PM
Giancarlogb (2)

< Sketch Turner >
Just like cycle of life, new people come others go.

It's getting extremely hard and it will only get harder but I think it will all depends on how r you collecting ( budget, breaks , tactics...etc).