Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

The Summer of Protos! MrMark and Beaglepuss Release Protos All Summer!

Jul 2, 2011 at 8:20:16 PM
MrMark0673 (454)
(Mark Nolan) < Neff >
Massachusetts
A little behind over here on SA, but just wanted to let you all know that Matt and I will be releasing proto ROMs all summer and the first two are ready to download and enjoy!  A quick copy and paste job with some unique bumps int he future!

Hi folks!

Matt had posted earlier in our Flintstones 2 thread about spending some time this summer releasing some of the unreleased protos we have.  The tentative game plan is to release them all this summer, culminating with the release of Chuck Yeager's Fighter Combat.  We will do our best to document how much was paid for the proto, where it was found or purchased from, and any other history we know about the proto.

For our first release, we'd like to start with Arcadia VI:

Purchase price:  $1,500
Purchased from:  Dreamtr

General information (copied from what I sent to Unseen64):

Arcadia VI is an unfinished multi-cart that was intended to be released on the NES with 6 games. The only know proto, currently owned by BeaglePuss and MrMark0673, only has 4 games. Of the 4 games, only one game (Tennis) has been completed. The 4 games on the cart are:

• Tennis
  • Xerxes
  • Ghurka
  • Twin Cam Turbo

The first game is an interesting pseudo-clone of pong. It supports up to 2 players and the single player mode has 4 difficulty levels. The players compete in a pong like game, but are allowed to move in all directions as opposed to just up and down. There are 2 "Arcadia Men" located on the screen which make faces depending on how well a player is doing. The game is scored in the same way as Tennis, the first player to win the match is the victor.

The second game, Xerxes, is a vertical space shooter. This game is incomplete, but is playable in a demo form. There is no music (although there are sound effects), some enemies can be shot while others cannot, you can be damaged but not destroyed, there are a few power ups, and the only level is on a continuous loop.

The third game, Ghurka, is an unfinished Commando clone. Again, there is no music, but there are sound effects. You cannot be damaged by enemy fire, but you can destroy most of the bad guys. You have a limited number of bullets (the amount is unknown to the player) but an infinite number of grenades. The "game" ends when you reach an unpassable bridge.

The final game, Twin Cam Turbo, is a top down Spy Hunter like racer. There are various power ups and obstacles to avoid, but no enemies and the one and only playable level is on a very short loop. Of all the games available, this is the least complete.

Anyway, this is the first of hopefully many, many, releases this summer.  Thanks for everything you guys have done for us and enjoy the games!

Bump for a new unreleased proto! Thought we'd mix things up a bit and give something up to the SegaAge crowd. Without further ado, I present you: Dragon's Lair for the Sega Genesis!

Original purchase price: $800
Previous owner: Gknight

Don't ask me why, but I love this one! It's a port of the SNES game with some distinct differences in graphics and is 100% complete. The only glitch I've seen is that when you duck and fire your weapon, there is no firing animation, so you just shoot the object from your head.

Just a small taste of things to come for the summer of protos, the ROM is attached to the first post.  Enjoy!

Beastball Link:  https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0...

-------------------------
Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Edited: 09/15/2011 at 11:15 PM by MrMark0673

Jul 2, 2011 at 9:06:53 PM
final fight cd (57)
(serious mustache ) < Seven Force >
Ohio
how do you play these?

Jul 2, 2011 at 9:30:11 PM
MrMark0673 (454)
(Mark Nolan) < Neff >
Massachusetts
Emulator, or you could get them repro'd. I actually did art for DL thinking we'd do a release some day, maybe I'll make some.

Photobucket

Jul 2, 2011 at 11:36:20 PM
pats1717 (885)
< Neff >
United States
very cool of you guys!

Jul 3, 2011 at 1:06:55 PM
Greg2600 (0)
(Greg Mario) < Alex Kidd >
New Jersey
Excellent, works on the Everdrive perfectly, thanks again.

Jul 3, 2011 at 10:24:56 PM
Wesker (0)

(Albert Wesker) < Flicky >
Spain
Such a sweet unreleased game for the Mega Drive/Genesis finally released. Thank you guys!

Jul 6, 2011 at 8:25:13 PM
OldNESJunkie (1)

(Daniel Ford) < Flicky >
Tennessee
Yes, thank you guys SO much for releasing these protos. I always love seeing what could have been.

Jul 8, 2011 at 4:06:39 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Neff >
Massachusetts
Removed in good faith.

Edited: 12/23/2016 at 03:22 PM by BeaglePuss

Jul 8, 2011 at 4:55:51 PM
djshok (25)
(H Hog) < Neff >
Ontario
Man that is so awesome! I have my fingers crossed that one is X-Women, I don't expect it, but it would be uber awesome if that was the case.

Ready to print game covers and cart labels: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gm45wyxr3xvv

Jul 19, 2011 at 6:16:00 PM
synbiosfan (4)
(Jim D) < Neff >
Michigan
Thanks again Mark & Matt!

Diabetes Sucks!

Sep 15, 2011 at 11:15:13 PM
MrMark0673 (454)
(Mark Nolan) < Neff >
Massachusetts
Our newest addition to the list: Beastball! (Link can be found in first post)

Purchase Price: Can't remember, I'll check with Matt
Purchased From: Dreamtr

Beastball is a game that was to be ported to the Sega Genesis by Spectrum Holobyte. The game was released on several other consoles as Brutal Sports Football and Crazy Football on the Jaguar and Amiga.

The game plays out as a futuristic sporting event. Your goal is to have your team score by throwing or drop kicking a ball into the goal of the opposing team. You can punch or tackle opposing players, pick up weapons like swords, bombs, and shields to attack the other tam, as well as pick up items like a rabbit or a turtle that will effect your in game speed. The game ends when time runs out or you decapitate every member of the opposing team.

At the end of the game, money is awarded for how many points you score, how many players you've killed, and if you've won. You may use this money to heal players, or to increased their stats.

There are 3 modes of play: League, Unfriendly, and Knockout. In league, you attempt to bring your team to the championship. You can record your progress with a password. You will compete against other humans as well as various other races. In Unfriendly, you choose a team and play against the computer or a second player in a single, best of three, or best of seven format. In Knockout, you can create your own 12 man tournament using any combination of human and computer players.

Photobucket

Sep 15, 2011 at 11:32:08 PM
hybrid (43)

(jeff .) < Neff >
Virginia
neat game unfortunately i suck at sports games X(

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:23:41 AM
wrk (69)
(Adolf Oliver Bush) < Boogerman >
Tennessee
This one's pretty unique Jeff, you should definitely give it a try - I'm not terribly awesome at them either And although I got stomped in my first game, it was a pretty short learning curve.

Proto collecting is unlike anything else, and I'm becoming more intrigued as my time as a collector grows. How long did you guys do the standard video game collecting before you got into protos? I hope my wife doesn't read this thread or she might shit a brick.

https://www.prodigydisc.com/...

Sep 16, 2011 at 7:57:36 PM
Greg2600 (0)
(Greg Mario) < Alex Kidd >
New Jersey
Thanks again (a broken record now!). Everdrive compatible, although the game is for some reason a little slower on the Genesis than an emulator.

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:24:24 PM
djshok (25)
(H Hog) < Neff >
Ontario
Well now that the ROM has been dumped I can share the artwork with everyone, here you go: http://www.segaage.com/forum/mess...

Ready to print game covers and cart labels: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gm45wyxr3xvv

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:32:48 PM
ssj (0)

(J. SSJ) < Flicky >
Spain
Beastball! This is awesome, I played Brutal Sports Football for hours on the Amiga, do you know how finished this proto is?