Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Dreamcast - Internal Battery, controller issue and laser (lens)

Aug 10 at 3:27:19 PM
RetroMichel (27)
(Michel B.) < Alex Kidd >
Quebec
Hello guys, I've started playing Dreamcast games lately and I've had some problems with my Dreamcast console.

First of all, certain games don't play properly on it. These games are Power Stone and Hydro Thunder which I had trouble with. For Hydro Thunder, I have problems with the sound effects. Sometimes, when I play, the sound effects totally disappear, but music is still there. I've read that this could be due to Midway and their first bunch of discs for the Sega Dreamcast. So, maybe this is only my game, and not my Dreamcast. For Power Stone, I actually have two discs. The first disc I tried totally froze after match 2 in Arcade mode, then I tried it again, and it was OK. When I tried my second disc, the same thing that occured with Hydro Thunder happened: music is still there, but sound effects are completely gone. So would I need to change my laser ? Is it due to my console ? My discs are in very good condition.

Second, many times when I hooked up my Dreamcast, it asked me for the hour and day. I've read that this is due to the internal battery. Could someone help me changing my battery ? I would pay for the shipping and the service.

Third, my controller disconnects very often. Is it due to my console or my controller ? I don't know. Anyone experienced something similar ?

Thanks a lot,
Michel

Edited: 08/10/2017 at 03:28 PM by RetroMichel

Aug 10 at 9:47:16 PM
dballin (22)
(Dave Balls) < Dr. Robotnik >
Rhode Island
1. My DC is pretty finicky with discs too. I'm not sure if it's the laser or the format of the discs. I've some scratched to death that work fine and others that are spotless that only work intermittently or not at all.

2. The battery thing will happen if you don't play at least 30 minutes every week I believe. It's actually a pretty terrible design and the date/time doesn't matter for >99% of things you can do on a DC nowadays so I just ignore it. If it happens more frequently than that, it's probably the battery, but I would still just ignore it. I'm the guy that pulled apart my VMUs and cut the speaker wires because I got tired of the stupid things beeping at me when I turned the console on.

3. That's news to me. I've never had that issue before. Sorry I can't help.

Aug 12 at 8:21:58 PM
RetroMichel (27)
(Michel B.) < Alex Kidd >
Quebec
Originally posted by: dballin

1. My DC is pretty finicky with discs too. I'm not sure if it's the laser or the format of the discs. I've some scratched to death that work fine and others that are spotless that only work intermittently or not at all.

2. The battery thing will happen if you don't play at least 30 minutes every week I believe. It's actually a pretty terrible design and the date/time doesn't matter for >99% of things you can do on a DC nowadays so I just ignore it. If it happens more frequently than that, it's probably the battery, but I would still just ignore it. I'm the guy that pulled apart my VMUs and cut the speaker wires because I got tired of the stupid things beeping at me when I turned the console on.

3. That's news to me. I've never had that issue before. Sorry I can't help.
Thank you for the answer. Dreamcast sure is a weird console.