Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Sega CD - Sega 32X.......do you really like these consoles??

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:35:22 PM
Giancarlogb (4)

< Neff >
Hi guys,

So, ...this is the first time i got my hands on a Sega CD and a 32X add on....

And honestly i'm still in shock, i know i'm probably saying the obvious but my real question is....

Did any of you had one of these things as a kid? and second, what was your experience,did you really enjoy it or just hated having it?

What surprises me more is the little to almost non difference between your normal Sega Genesis 16bit console game and the same port on the 32x and sega CD....is like the same freaking game with really new small details.....it is just sad.

I really want to heard from you guys cause......i honestly would had gone mad since for me back in the day, having a new system was a mayor decision....

Aug 10, 2018 at 4:18:36 PM
SpaceFlea (51)
(Dan J) < Seven Force >
Oklahoma
I got both in 1995 when I was in sixth grade.

The Sega CD was then and will always be amazing. It also happens to be the first console I purchased with my own money. I never had any regrets with regard to it and loved every game I got for it over the next year-and-a-half before stores stopped carrying them.

The 32X however pissed me off. First, it didn't come with an RF adapter, and my TV only had coaxial input, so I had to buy that extra. Then, two months after receiving it (and nothing else) for Christmas, the price of the console dropped from $160 to $20 and the games from $40-60 to $20 each. I loved the games I got for it at the time --Knuckles Chaotix, Metal Head, Kolibri, even Motocross Championship and Supreme Warrior (though most people despise those two)-- but they disappeared from stores soon after, so it was a double whammy and felt like a major waste.

I'm not sure I could have convinced my parents, but in hindsight I wish I had asked them to bundle my Christmas and birthday together and get me a Saturn instead of the 32X.

-------------------------
Be Attitude For Gains...

Edited: 08/10/2018 at 04:21 PM by SpaceFlea

Aug 10, 2018 at 6:07:15 PM
Giancarlogb (4)

< Neff >
.....From US$ 120.00 to  US$ 20.00 in 2 months?!?.....that sounds traumatic...

...I have read a little about the add-on and apparently you did have some of the best game for it....Kolibri looks great...

Aug 10, 2018 at 6:27:38 PM
maelwys (136)
(Mike W) < Seven Force >
Pennsylvania
I had the same experience as Flea - I bought a Sega CD with my own money and played the heck out of that thing. I still love a lot of the Sega CD games and play them regularly. The 32x I also bought with my own money and then proceeded to buy only a few games for it before the bottom dropped out on that system. That said, I played the heck out of Doom (I didn't have a PC until years later), Primal Rage, and Star Wars before packing it up.

Aug 10, 2018 at 7:59:51 PM
IchbinIan (0)

< Tom-Tom >
I didn't have either as kid but one of my best friends had both.  He was the rich kid who got every console when it first came out lol.

We definitely played the Sega CD.  Sonic CD alone was worth getting one.  It's arguably the best Sonic game.  Awesome soundtrack.  I still listen to the opening title theme sometimes.  Very fond memories.

As for the 32X, we didn't play it that much.  I didn't really find much memorable about the 32X.  I think Knuckles Chaotix is kind of cool.  I love Doom but I'm not a big fan of the 32X port.  If you're going to play it on a console the PS1 port was the best imo.  

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:28:26 PM
flatuswalrus (54)
(Mr. Dane) < Max Thunder >
Queensland
They are like any system, they have good and bad points, and they have good games and bad games within their library. There is nothing wrong with the capabilities of the systems but instead how SEGA released them. It is a good display of impatience and what it can do to your company.

Aug 13, 2018 at 9:58:00 AM
Giancarlogb (4)

< Neff >
....I do agree..

If we see the Sega CD and the 32X as what they are (ADD-ONS) ...they are great....ideas.

Sega CD provided better music and more storage, Sega 32X better graphics. Sega CD / 32x games should had offer both. 

The thing that really killed for me the Sega CD back in the day was the crazy retail price (If it was so expensive, why just they didn't do it as another console??) there is another factor i read that affected the sucess of the console and it was the FMV games (never played them but i heard they suck, Anybody here had these and enjoy it them??). What killed the 32X was the lack of support and awful timing.

I already had my firts Sega CD experience with Eternal Champions and FMV are awful but back in the day probably was a novelty, i will have my first 32X later this week, was not planning to buy another game now but i saw a complete copy of TEMPO for 30 dollars and couldn't pass on that one.

Aug 14, 2018 at 9:31:44 AM
Silverspoon (33)

(Justin Steimer) < Sketch Turner >
Nebraska
I have a sad obsession with Sega CD, but outside of Sonic CD, I havent reallly found any good games for it. I still need to get Final Fight and Shining Force for it.

Aug 14, 2018 at 10:46:19 AM
maelwys (136)
(Mike W) < Seven Force >
Pennsylvania
I always had a soft spot for Brutal: Paws of Fury and Wing Commander on the Sega CD, and I'm a huge RPG fan so Popful, both Lunars, and Shining Force are games I still break out from time to time.

Aug 19, 2018 at 9:05:08 PM
retro17247 (0)

< Alex Kidd >
I bought both add on's on day one. Cobra Command & Road Avenger were two of my favorite early games, and I remember the hype for Batman Returns, though I seem to recall it being delayed numerous times. I was blown away by Silpheed - the environments were unlike anything else at the time. Ultimately, I tired of Sega CD quickly. I've never been into RPG's, and the numerous Genesis ports with CD music did nothing for me.

I've always liked 32X better than Sega CD. Virtua Racing Deluxe was a great launch title, and much improved versions of NBA Jam & Mortal Kombat II were very welcome. I enjoyed Star Wars as well despite the difficulty. I was also thrilled to finally play nearly arcade perfect home versions of Space Harrier & After Burner. Sure, they were 8-10 years old, but that just showed how far ahead of their time Sega's arcade games always were. I never got to play Virtua Fighter back in the day because I also bought a Saturn on day one, and it was bundled with VF, though looking back the 32X port was on par with the buggy Saturn version.

Aug 20, 2018 at 11:04:04 AM
Giancarlogb (4)

< Neff >
Well...I'm still surprise that most of the stories have been positive....and that's cool to know.

I played Tempo and it looks nice, I also got my hands on Corpse Killer and Fahrenheit but honestly can't get into them....

Mar 06 at 3:14:24 PM
Telekill (0)
< Flicky >
Colorado
I rented the Sega CD when it first released to play Sonic CD. I beat it in a weekend which was a bit of a downer but I still liked the idea of some of the games and wanted to try them.

It wasn't until about the year 2000 that I decided to go ahead and buy both a Sega CD model 2 to match my Genesis model 2 and a 32X. I got each for about $80 at the time. I no longer have either of them but still have my Genesis and Game Gear for my Sega fix.

With the 32X, I was disappointed at the lack of "upgrade" that was promised versus what was delivered. The best games on it were the arcade games such as Virtua Racing and Virtua Fighter along the likes of Doom. I couldn't really see a huge difference between Virtua Racing on Genesis versus the 32X version. I did notice a difference in the two versions of Mortal Kombat 2. For me, MK2 on the 32X is the best console version as it had better audio for whatever reason and felt far closer to the arcade version than that of the regular Genesis version.

With the Sega CD, there were actually a few games that I enjoyed such as Sonic CD, Jurassic Park, Sewer Shark and Corpse Killer. The live action FMV games were closer to narrative driven than ever before at the time and I really enjoyed that aspect. The games themselves were little better than on rail shooters that could get dull rather quickly. It's actually the main reason that I got rid of my Sega CD as it took up a large amount of physical space and the games were, frankly, not that great gameplay wise. That said, I still really liked the design of the Genesis model 2 and Sega CD model 2 put together. The lines of the casing were really well done and still remains one of the sleekest console setups that I can recall. I even recently found high resolution PDFs of the patent designs and made a wallpaper for myself for both the Genesis/CD 2 combo as well as the Game Gear.

As a negative for both Sega CD and 32X, I found it ridiculous that in order for the system to function, you had to have an outlet with enough space for three of the larger power supply AC adapters. It was crazy trying to bring that setup out into the living room without having an extension cord.

May 14 at 1:34:51 AM
JeremiahJT (0)

(Jeremiah Thomas) < Sketch Turner >
Texas
I have had a Sega CD since Christmas of 1993 and I am a big fan. Sonic the Hedgehog CD, Flashback, Vay, Popful Mail, and Shining Force CD are some of my favorites. I have only had a 32X about a year or so and I have not discovered any games that I truly enjoy. One of these days I will get around to playing the Lunar games and I am sure I will enjoy those.

May 20 at 3:08:14 AM
FantomTesla (1)
(Michael W) < Flicky >
Tennessee
So, I'll probably echo a lot of people on here, I wasn't that enamored with the 32X (felt like a money grab) but loved my Sega CD. I got both when they were new, and still have them, I actually brought the Sega CD into rotation this weekend again so I can show my wife some of the games. I loved Jurassic Park, Sonic, and Batman Returns, and while there were some definite crap games, there were lots of others that were entertaining enough to keep me and my friends going.

What really got me, though, was the fact that it pushed to be more than just a game console. It did what Sony and Microsoft would do years later and try to become a major part of your entertainment hub. At the time, music CDs were revving up, but decent CD players were still pricey. Sega pushed that, yes, this would be expensive for a simple game console, but this could also play CDs, and even had direct outputs so you could connect it with your stereo, to make it look like it was more of a stereo component. It would play a basic version of the equalizer pattern that would become the iTunes staple, so your TV would have cool light shows going in time with the music.

Sega included a little bundle of games and CDs when you bought it and two of them were designed to highlight this ability. They had a mixture of famous bands like Led Zeppelin (and some not so famous bands) on each CD so you could see how it worked. My parents wouldn't spring for a new CD player for my stereo AND a new console, but they were more willing to help me pay for a combination, especially if I put music on to play and the TV had these cool effects. I remember my friends and I hanging out and having it playing music in the background while we did other stuff.

Edited: 05/20/2019 at 03:09 AM by FantomTesla