Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Sega Genesis Controllers - 3 Button or 6 Button Let's hear Sega Age's preference! (Now with poll)

Jul 19 at 8:20:56 PM
NESMASTER14 (26)
(color dreams) < Alex Kidd >
Virginia
Hey everyone,

With the recent releases of wireless Sega Genesis controllers by Krikzz and now 8bitdo, I've begun to wonder again why almost every modern Sega Genesis controller is modelled after the 6-button design.  You never see 3 button controllers being remade. Why is that? I mean almost every single aftermarket controller is modelled after the 6-button, even with branding such as "original" "classic".  Future generations might even forget that the three button is the original!

Am I alone in thinking that the original 3-button controllers are the go-to Genesis controllers?

Image result for sega genesis controller  VS Image result for sega genesis controller

I'm curious what SA's thoughts are on this!

For me, I could never get into the 6-button.  XYZ never felt right, there's clunky incompatibilities, and so on. The three button controller has a great feel, even with adult hands.  The layout is superb, and the d-pad/buttons precise.

what is this sorcery!

-------------------------

Edited: 07/20/2018 at 07:28 PM by NESMASTER14

Jul 19 at 11:28:40 PM
flatuswalrus (54)
(Mr. Dane) < Max Thunder >
Queensland
There is nothing wrong with the 3 button. It is comfortable, but you are limited with it. There are nearly 50 titles worldwide for the system that are 6 button compatible. I always preferred the feel of the 6 button and especially preferred it because SFII was and still is my favorite game of all time. Many third-part and after-market controllers felt flimsy and cheap, but the official releases were okay. For maximum quality despite the d-pad taking some getting practice you can't beat the QS-173 Quickshot Starfighter 3+3:

Or even better yet if you can find one, The Tank by H.E.S.:

They are in my opinion the two best controller ever made for the system.

Edited: 07/19/2018 at 11:34 PM by flatuswalrus

Jul 20 at 8:04:54 AM
The Count (102)
(Grant X.) < Neff >
Minnesota
I use the 6-button controller due to some games utilizing the X, Y, and Z buttons. The original version is more comfortable though.

Jul 24 at 8:09:57 PM
TheGreyGhost (5)
< Sketch Turner >
Ontario
I say original. Its just what I played with and Im used too. If needed I can always switch to the 6 button.

NA Game Gear loose cart collection: 132\233

Jul 24 at 8:51:41 PM
IchbinIan (0)

< Alex Kidd >
My personal preference is the 3 button, with the red trim. It's what my friends and I all had when we were kids so it's more of a nostalgia thing. The six button is a must for VS games though.

Jul 24 at 10:21:23 PM
maelwys (117)
(Mike W) < Bio-Hazard Battler >
Pennsylvania
All depends on what you started with I guess. One of my favorite games is Blades of Vengeance which uses a 6, so I've just become used to those.

Jul 28 at 8:39:05 PM
Podmax (37)
(M J) < Dr. Robotnik >
Texas
6 button for sure!

"When in this state of mind, the controller becomes held like the last rung of a ladder that mid-90's Bruce Willis is hanging onto for dear life above a paper mache replica of the New York City skyline covered in cement, broken glass, and Lego pieces." ~ Galacticlint

SegaAge Discord Chat invite link : https://discord.gg/N...

Jul 29 at 6:56:54 AM
flatuswalrus (54)
Queensland
Originally posted by: maelwys

All depends on what you started with I guess. One of my favorite games is Blades of Vengeance which uses a 6, so I've just become used to those.
I started with a 3 button but favor the 6 button so your guess is WRONG! Capiche?!

Jul 29 at 5:07:11 PM
maelwys (117)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: flatuswalrus

I started with a 3 button but favor the 6 button so your guess is WRONG! Capiche?!

All depends on what you started with, unless you started with a 3 and upgraded to the far superior 6 in which case that is as it should be, according to SCIENCE.

Jul 30 at 12:07:28 AM
flatuswalrus (54)
Queensland
All depends on what you started with, unless you started with a 3 and upgraded to the far superior 6 in which case that is as it should be, according to SCIENCE.  
Exactly, and that is why Scientology is my religion.

Jul 30 at 4:44:51 AM
XE-A-THOUL (1)
< Alex Kidd >
Germany
I am also a fan of the 6 Button Pad. It's one of the best pads ever I think.

Aug 02 at 11:56:04 PM
AsmikAce (92)
< Neff >
Indiana
The JVC X'eye 3 button D-pad is the one I like to use.

Aug 03 at 1:56:21 AM
flatuswalrus (54)
Queensland
Originally posted by: AsmikAce

Now you are just being fancy, Mr. Fancypants. What about it exactly do you prefer over others? I ask as I have never used it.

Aug 03 at 12:15:43 PM
AsmikAce (92)
< Neff >
Indiana

Now you are just being fancy, Mr. Fancypants. What about it exactly do you prefer over others? I ask as I have never used it.

The d pad and buttons feel just right, not to mushy like the first 3 button pad but not to stiff. I would go for a 6 pad controller but the D pad on them is not as spacious.

Aug 03 at 4:32:43 PM
Everharm (176)
(Michael Everhart) < Bio-Hazard Battler >
Wisconsin
This one is my favorite.

Aug 03 at 7:41:42 PM
flatuswalrus (54)
Queensland

The d pad and buttons feel just right, not to mushy like the first 3 button pad but not to stiff. I would go for a 6 pad controller but the D pad on them is not as spacious.
Interesting, I never had the chance to try one out. I always wanted to see how the Amstrad Mega PC's controller might have differed also:

Aug 05 at 12:32:35 PM
maelwys (117)
Pennsylvania
My go to controller:

Aug 09 at 9:48:21 PM
nieds16 (38)
(Ty Nieds) < Funklord >
United States
3 A OT GNIOGI think this is an interesting question. Simply asking about the sega branded 3 vs 6 seems easy as why not have extra capability? As a kid growing up during this time I went for the 6 button as it was perfect. As I got older and my hands grew, that controller is simply too small. I started looking at a ton of options after the fact to find a good solution because I just don't see the point in going to a 3 button when games need or benefit from a 6. My go to is the ascii fighter pad. My friend Danny said they used to sell those at his store and he didn't like them because they wore out so bad, but i haven't had that issue. The buttons have the right spring for me, the joypad isn't something you slide off of and is pronounced enough to feel when you are turning, and the angle of the buttons if good for me.

Aug 10 at 3:17:01 AM
flatuswalrus (54)
Queensland
Originally posted by: nieds16

ascii fighter pad
Which one is that? There were quite a few from that compant so I am curious.

Originally posted by: maelwys

My go to controller:
What is it about that one you like?

Edited: 08/10/2018 at 03:17 AM by flatuswalrus

Aug 10 at 6:36:09 PM
maelwys (117)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: maelwys

My go to controller:
What is it about that one you like?

The buttons are pretty stiff on it but have great response - I tend to be pretty hard on controllers and this one has stood up to my punishment well. The D-Pad rolls well and kind of locks in on each direction. You can set the top bumpers to emulate ABC-XYZ if you want, although I rarely do that, and as I get older I admit to occasionally using autofire. Also, it fits in my hand like I'm cradling a little newborn puppy. 

Aug 21 at 10:52:21 AM
nieds16 (38)
(Ty Nieds) < Funklord >
United States

Originally posted by: nieds16

ascii fighter pad
Which one is that? There were quite a few from that compant so I am curious.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Asciiwar...~