Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

SNES VS GENESIS: KONAMI

Apr 06 at 7:02:21 PM
Giancarlogb (4)

< Neff >
Hi Guys,

For me this is the never-ending topic, and I love it. Wanted to know who you think won on at least the most popular games of one of the best companies of that era....KONAMI.

One of the reasons a wanted to do this topic is that i still hear divided opinions on which version of the games were better in what console, and want to know who won for you.

My opinion:

TINY TOONS BUSTER HIDDEN TREASURE (SEGA) VS TINY TOONS BUSTER BUST LOOSE (SNES)
I do prefer the sega version more, is simple but more enjoyable. 

SUNSET RIDERS (SNES WON)
More playable characters, more levels, more variety, more bosses, closer to the arcade. I do prefer the darker sega graphics but the sega port is just missing too much.

TMNT: TOURNAMENT FIGHTERS (SNES WON)
Simple. The Sega version is hands down one of the worst fighters on videogame history, the Snes version one of the best at least on the 16 bit era and still enjoyable to this day.

TMNT: HYPERSTONE HEIST (SEGA) VS TMNT: TURTLES IN TIME (SNES) 
There is actually a lot of people that prefers the Sega version because of the dash feature but compare to the Snes version it looks like another bad rip-off. Fewer levels, less bosses, less variety. The Sega version is good but has no chance against the Snes version.

ADV. OF BATMAN AND ROBIN (SEGA WINS)
This one is tough because they are 2 different games, i love the graphics on the Snes version but not so much the slow pace gameplay. On this one i will go with the sega version but this is a tossup.

CASTLEVANIA BLOODLINES VS CASTLEVANIA IV
These 2 games are different too but for me is a easy choice. More levels, darker graphics and one of the best soundtrack to date in videogame history. The sega version is good with 2 playable characters, but 6 levels is rather short and just comparing it to the masterpiece of the Snes version is unfair.

CONTRA HARD CORPS VS CONTRA III
This is another hard one. I could see the effort on the Sega Genesis version to surpass in every way possible the Snes version: More playable characters, alternate endings, alternate routes, cut scenes, no weird top down levels. I just feel that the graphics are not as good and the difficulty on the Sega version is unforgiving. Also, the Bosses on the Sega Version are just ridiculous looking. I feel the Snes one is more enjoyable.

SNES (5)  SEGA (2)

SNES WON 

What do you guys think? feel free to add other KONAMI games and compare them. Who won for you, Sega or Snes???    

Apr 06 at 9:10:29 PM
The Age of Genesis (16)
< Tom-Tom >
Genesis wins easily, especially Castlevania and Contra. Only one I'd give to SNES is Tournament Fighters.

Apr 06 at 10:41:47 PM
Giancarlogb (4)

< Neff >
More than anything..why Hyperstone over Turtles in Time?

Apr 06 at 11:40:21 PM
The Age of Genesis (16)
< Tom-Tom >
Originally posted by: Giancarlogb

More than anything..why Hyperstone over Turtles in Time?

At the time, the SNES version was probably more exciting because it was a closer port of the arcade version. But now, if you want the arcade version, you can just play on MAME, so the SNES version feels kind of unnecessary. The Genesis version does its own thing, and it does it well. The stuff the SNES version adds (the battle with Shredder, the mode 7 in Neon Night Riders, etc) are often unnecessary or just plain annoying.

Also, the Genesis version has better controls, and better music.

Apr 07 at 11:05:58 AM
Giancarlogb (4)

< Neff >
Understand your point of view.

Yes, it has a couple of differences compare to the arcade ( 1 different level and a boss not available on the Snes and Arcade). And it makes sense the best version is the Arcade one so, Mame is the way to go.

But.....if you had to choose one between the Genesis and Snes only, the Snes has the most complete experience.

Apr 07 at 8:43:17 PM
The Age of Genesis (16)
< Tom-Tom >
Originally posted by: Giancarlogb

Understand your point of view.

Yes, it has a couple of differences compare to the arcade ( 1 different level and a boss not available on the Snes and Arcade). And it makes sense the best version is the Arcade one so, Mame is the way to go.

But.....if you had to choose one between the Genesis and Snes only, the Snes has the most complete experience.

Ehhh, I would still choose the Genesis, the game is just overall smoother and more tightly designed, it's enjoyable all the way through while the SNES version has more than one annoying section.

Apr 08 at 4:00:06 PM
Podmax (37)
(M J) < Dr. Robotnik >
Texas
If I had to choose between Turtles in Time vs Hyperstone Heist, I'd go for HH.

-------------------------
"When in this state of mind, the controller becomes held like the last rung of a ladder that mid-90's Bruce Willis is hanging onto for dear life above a paper mache replica of the New York City skyline covered in cement, broken glass, and Lego pieces." ~ Galacticlint

SegaAge Discord Chat invite link : https://discord.gg/N...

Apr 08 at 7:23:51 PM
The Count (104)
(Grant X.) < Neff >
Minnesota
TMNT IV is better. Hyperstone Heist was lazy with battling alternate colored bosses a second time and had fewer levels.

Apr 08 at 7:25:01 PM
Giancarlogb (4)

< Neff >
I guess I will have to re-play those 2 games....didn't remember any frame rate issues on the Snes or one version been way smoother than the other....

Apr 08 at 7:27:40 PM
Giancarlogb (4)

< Neff >
Agree....you just make me remember that lazy last level....

Apr 10 at 7:29:50 AM
nieds16 (38)
(Ty Nieds) < Funklord >
United States
I can't weigh in on many of these as I have touched the SNES very little. As for TMNT IV vs HH, I am also in the minority on my preference as I like HH better. I can't say I'm unbiased as I don't like a 4 button set up on a controller so I am already dinging the SNES on that, but I felt IV had a ton of really choppy/short levels. I prefer to spend some time in a particular environment. They are both great games, but that's just me preference.

Also, happy belated birthday OP.

Apr 10 at 11:52:04 AM
Giancarlogb (4)

< Neff >
Hey thanks Nields!

On the subject ,I think nostalgia is playing a factor.  On Tiny Toons , Castlevania and Contra  since they are different ,it could a preference thing, but I just feel confused with TMNT ,I will definitely replay both versions to see the "smoothness" that Hyperstone Heist apparently has over the Snes.

i have hear this comment for a long time not only on this forum...but is hard to still not see "Heist" as a incomplete game.

Apr 10 at 6:56:39 PM
nieds16 (38)
(Ty Nieds) < Funklord >
United States
What would you call complete about it? There are a ton of shorter, worse games out there.

Apr 10 at 7:21:58 PM
Giancarlogb (4)

< Neff >
Don't get me wrong. Is one of the best beat em ups on the Genesis.

I'm just saying that when compare to the Snes Version it has less levels, less characters from the cartoon, the move that you could throw the foot soldiers to the screen is gone.That's why I have the sense of incomplete.

But in all fairness, I have a long time I don't play any of those versions and a lot of people is saying it plays better on the Genesis, probably I should revisit them To compare gameplay.

Apr 10 at 7:25:08 PM
Giancarlogb (4)

< Neff >
....Is just like I feel about Contra: Hard Corps.....is definitely has more almost on every aspect compare to Alien Wars, but I just feel it plays better.

Apr 11 at 11:43:44 AM
AsmikAce (94)
< Neff >
Indiana
To best honest with Contra Hard Corps is that it was made to hard when it got localized in the West removing the health bar. The problem of me playing it with health bars is that think its too easy after playing the Western version.

Don't forget the excellent Rocket Knight Adventures. Also you might want to do a Sparkster comparison as well.

Apr 17 at 9:05:36 PM
Everharm (176)
(Michael Everhart) < Bio-Hazard Battler >
Wisconsin
Lethal Enforcers, SNES removed the blood from the bullet holes vs the Sega Genesis version. Also Nintendo felt the need to take "The Justifier" off the side of the Konami light gun.
There are more differences as well, noticeable the snes is slower and one commenter says is missing animations.

Sega wins that one.

Apr 22 at 12:11:17 AM
KingsegaGEN89 (0)
< Flicky >
New York
Hyperstone Heist is a great Ninja turtles game although i'm and hunt on getting most of the konami games for the Sega genesis/Mega Drive
Here are some games i what too have

CASTLEVANIA BLOODLINES
SUNSET RIDERS
BATMAN AND ROBIN
TMNT: TOURNAMENT FIGHTERS

i have the other two games already so no need for that ^_^

SEGA Forever <3

Edited: 04/22/2018 at 12:58 AM by KingsegaGEN89

Apr 23 at 7:09:36 PM
Giancarlogb (4)

< Neff >
And it also benefits from darker graphics, which i think looks better on this game.

I guess is a win for Sega.

Apr 23 at 7:12:20 PM
Giancarlogb (4)

< Neff >
Can go wrong with KONAMI on the 16 bits.

I'm only missing:

- Lethal Enforcers 1 and 2
- Frogger
- Junction

Apr 27 at 11:04:04 AM
KingsegaGEN89 (0)
< Flicky >
New York
  Nope Konami is the best from the 16-bit era 

SEGA Forever <3

Edited: 04/28/2018 at 06:00 PM by KingsegaGEN89

Apr 27 at 1:49:30 PM
Giancarlogb (4)

< Neff >
Yes you are right...i meant to write "Can't"..lol

Jun 08 at 6:00:09 PM
bimlanders (0)
< Flicky >
California
I have to pick Contra 3 over Hard Corps simply because I find the fact that Hard Corps is so damn hard that it's difficult to have as much fun. I didn't know about the removal of the life bar so that explains a lot. I may have to pick of the Japanese version. Why did they want to make an already incredibly difficult game even harder? I can 1CC Contra 1 at will, usually dying only a couple of times. I can 1CC Super C if I'm feeling sharp, and I can 1CC Contra 3 (on easy, lol). But Hard Corps I cannot even get very far. The first level boss still kills me at least once every time I play.

As far as Bloodlines vs SCV4, it's a much tougher call. I think that since SCV4 came out early, it was much more impressive in context, and it was easy enough so that most people would actually get to experience the entire game - and WHAT a soundtrack!!! However, what I love about Bloodlines is that it's still amazing on the graphics side of things, and has some every impressive effects (the leaning tower, the reflection in the water of level 2). But what I really appreciate about Bloodlines is that it's actually a legit challenge just like the NES Castlevanias (1 & 3). It feels more "pure" that way. Plus, I like playing as Lecarde. I guess that my biggest complaint is that Morris sucks by comparison, so having the classic whip is actually not as good as using Lecarde's spear. I refuse to pick a winner. Both are great for different moods.