Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Loading...

Shoot 'em ups for beginners

Sep 13, 2017 at 5:01:53 PM
Giancarlogb (4)

< Neff >
Posts: 236 - Joined: 05/23/2015
Profile
Hey guys,

Never been a great gamer that has completed challenging games like Chakan but been always attracted to the Shoot 'em ups, the problem that haven't play them a lot and when I do is a disaster. Find them extremely hard.

Any recommendations for a beginner??..I do have a couple but just have tried them to see if the games work:

-Thunder Force 3
-Lightning Force
-Air Buster


Thanks



 

Sep 13, 2017 at 6:50:05 PM
final fight cd (57)
avatar
(serious mustache ) < Seven Force >
Posts: 1413 - Joined: 11/14/2010
Ohio
Profile
define easy? how easy it is to 1cc? if you don't really care about 1cc action than most shmups aren't too bad. based on how easy to 1cc, these come to mind:

thunder force III - 1 ups fall from enemies like woah
arrow flash
steel empire - if memories serves me correctly, slowdown is atrocious, which makes many parts much easier to dodge bullets
gadget twins

some imports:
curse
verytex - 95% of the game is a breeze. the other 5% - the final boss - is an absolute bitch, though there is a magic pixel that allows you to beat the boss without being destroyed. I had to resort to youtube for this strategy  

i'd say lightening force is middle of the road, though definitely one of the best on the system, if not one of the best 16 shmups across all platforms. I found air buster to be one of the hardest on the system to 1cc. essentially no extra lives to earn, making you beat the game on 2 or 3 lives. very little room for error.

Sep 13, 2017 at 8:16:57 PM
Giancarlogb (4)

< Neff >
Posts: 236 - Joined: 05/23/2015
Profile
Sorry of my ignorance but what 1cc stands for?

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:38:04 PM
final fight cd (57)
avatar
(serious mustache ) < Seven Force >
Posts: 1413 - Joined: 11/14/2010
Ohio
Profile
Originally posted by: Giancarlogb

Sorry of my ignorance but what 1cc stands for?

1credit clear.  Beat the game without game over.

Sep 14, 2017 at 7:50:07 AM
Giancarlogb (4)

< Neff >
Posts: 236 - Joined: 05/23/2015
Profile
I tried yesterday Air Buster in options you can put 6 credits and 7 lives per credit...that's generous.

Got to level 3, but I imagine it gets impossible at the end.

A game a played a long time ago (just level 1) is Biohazard..is that game also tuff as nails?

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:33:01 AM
final fight cd (57)
avatar
(serious mustache ) < Seven Force >
Posts: 1413 - Joined: 11/14/2010
Ohio
Profile
biohazard is on the easier side, but definitely one of my least favorite on the system.

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:16:52 AM
Professor Gull (8)
avatar
(Professor Gull) < Neff >
Posts: 322 - Joined: 03/25/2016
Iowa
Profile
Definately stay away form some of the bullet hells or flying massacres.

Truxton
Insector X ( your hit box is half the screen ridiculous)
Whip Rush
Battle Squadron ( yay invisible fighters)

Here are a couple I would recommend to try out that are also not wallet killers.

Thunderforce 2
Space Harrier II
Shadow Squadron 32X
Fire Shark

Honestly I would get a decent arcade stick as well since I find that can make the world of change except for Truston where you want that start button handy.

-------------------------
I tried doing nothing and always ended up doing something instead.

I don't check here on weekends so bear with me folks thats just my private game time not meant to be interrupted.


https://www.facebook.com/professo...
Gull Gaming on Youtube!
https://twitter.com/ProfessorDotG...

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:42:50 PM
AsmikAce (94)
avatar
< Neff >
Posts: 220 - Joined: 12/20/2013
Indiana
Profile
I second Fire Shark for beginners and just being a fun game to play

-------------------------

 

Nov 27, 2017 at 9:06:21 PM
bimlanders (0)
avatar
< Flicky >
Posts: 4 - Joined: 11/27/2017
California
Profile
I just got a repro of Trouble Shooter Vintage and it's probably my favorite shooter. The difficulty is very forgivable but you can up it for a better challenge. So fun, it's like the Dirty Pair anime with rocket packs.

-------------------------

Nov 28, 2017 at 9:12:23 AM
Giancarlogb (4)

< Neff >
Posts: 236 - Joined: 05/23/2015
Profile
We love to try that game. 

Only here good stuff from it.

Jan 10 at 9:50:06 AM
cma2032 (22)
avatar
< Alex Kidd >
Posts: 41 - Joined: 09/20/2013
Virginia
Profile
Definitely Thunder Force 3. By far the easiest shmup I've played

Feb 14 at 1:55:10 PM
SegataS (0)
avatar
< Flicky >
Posts: 5 - Joined: 02/14/2018
Utah
Profile
I only REALLY got into them last year and even bullet hells are fun but you have to not care about the score. Raiden I love and got super into the series. Astebreed is a hybrid but fantastic. I have now played so many retro and newer. The one I bought on PS4 I could not get into is Sine Mora EX. Now I just await LRG to ship Sky Force.

-------------------------