Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Shining Force initiate begins a journey I am starting my play through of the Shining Force series for the Genesis and Sega CD!

Feb 26 at 1:33:20 AM
JeremiahJT (0)

(Jeremiah Thomas) < Sketch Turner >
Texas
It took me three times to get through the shadow battle. I was trying to bring a bunch of level three Bolt spells to bear, which included Nick. By trying that I kept getting him in the thickest part of the battle and he kept getting killed. Once I decided to keep him in reserve the fight was won. Even in that fight the shadows managed to take out almost half my party. Fortunately Shadow Yeesha was a fan of melee attacks.

Thanks to fighting the battle three times I was able to use Shriek to find a Healing Seed, a White Ring, a Black Ring, the Iris Blade, and a worthless Pegasus Wing by pure luck. I was finished with his turn and I thought I was selecting stay, but instead I searched some random part of the wall and found a Pegasus Wing. Two of my other characters picked up an Antidote and a Protect Ring. I think Wendy actually found both of the other items.

After the fight the Three Amigos confront Dava and she admires the group's progress, but is perturbed when Mayfair asks about Queen Anri. Dava then uses the crystal ball to either teleport the group to a crumbling flying castle or changes the mansion to look like a flying castle. The new battlefield has many areas that you have to walk around. The group is at the very bottom of the map and Dava is at the very top.

Dava invites the group to battle and then fires the Dava Beam at hits everybody in the Shining Force. It does fair damage, but it is not devastating. I started making my way up the map when Dava said she was going to make us happy and threw a bunch of seeds in the air that make Wonder Mushes pop up. Wonder Mushes are immobile toadstools that can cause confusion. Yay! More continued to appear as I made my way up the map. A little bit later Dava's henchmen all show up to join the battle and another Wonder Mush appears beside Dava.

At this point I egressed and revived my dead and equipped all my new rings. I was not sure if I would have to fight the shadows again, but when I went back it went straight to the Dava battle. For the Dava battle I may have to change my group up. I replaced Chester with Shade for the heck of it before the shadow fight, but now I think I might need Sarah's Aura spell if Dava uses the Dava Beam often. I might also need Claude since he is not affected by the holes in the ground like most everybody else.

Edited: 02/26/2017 at 01:48 AM by JeremiahJT

Feb 27 at 12:00:22 AM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
Dava and book three have been defeated. At the end of the battle only Nick, Deanna, and Slade were still alive, but it was enough.

I decided not to change my party so I went in with Nick, Deanna, Slade, Sig, Wendy, Yeesha, Apis, Eric, Shriek, Stock, Ruce, and Shade. I bought each of them a Medical Herb so they could use it after the first Dava Beam and then entered battle. I sent Nick, Apis, Yeesha, Shade, Sig, and Shriek left while Deanna, Slade, Wendy, Eric, Ruce, and Stock went right. Every time a Wonder Mush appeared I converged on it and destroyed it, I made sure to only send people in to attack if I knew I could kill it before it had a turn. Not one member was ever in range when a Wonder Mush had a turn.

Dava used the Dava Beam two or three more times at the beginning of the fight, but once I had the Shining Force completely split into two groups she never used it again. After destroying all of the Wonder Mushes I started preparing my two groups to ambush Kisaragi and Chu Rao right when they arrived. Shriek and Deanna moved towards Dava to get the henchmen to appear and Shriek almost lost his life to Dava Breath. Why does every boss have the same deadly breath?

Nick's group killed Kisaragi quickly. She did get a double attack on Nick that almost killed him, but thanks to a level four Bolt from Yeesha Kisaragi was not able to kill anybody. Chu Rao did manage to take Wendy out thanks to his breath of flame and getting turns fairly quickly, but he went down right after taking Wendy out.

I decided to start prepping for Dava since Bulldor was so far down the map and that may have been a mistake. His first attack on Shade almost killed him and then he finished him off on his next turn. After that I surrounded him and killed him while still being out of Dava's range.

I focused on the Wonder Mush first and destroyed it quickly. I thought it would probably be a respawning enemy, but another one never showed up. I sent people at Dava one or two at a time. Only one non-flying character can get next to her at a time. I had Apis and Yeesha attack first. Yeesha's Bolt level four did only 11 points of damage. Dava attacked them with Dava Breath, but they survived the first attack. At that point I sent Shriek in to attack and actually had three characters attacking for a very short time. Dava took Yeesha and Apis with a Dava Breath and Shriek with a melee attack. Next up were Eric and Stock. Like before they hurt her before succumbing to Dava Breath. Next was Ruce and then Sig. After killing each of these she cast Dava Aura, but it only healed her 20 points. I then sent in Deanna to attack. He got her down to nine hit points and then I sent in Nick to hit her with a level four Bolt. This time it was a critical hit and did 57 damage!

Dava had a ton of hit points! I think it is over 300, but it could just be over 200. Suffice it to say it takes a long while to kill her. I believe the black bar is the 300 range, the blue bar is the 200 range, the green bar is the 100 range, and the yellow bar is below 100. After defeating her the battlefield changes back to the room from the previous battle. So Dava did not teleport everybody, she just made an illusory map. Dava is getting bullied by Eric, Jaha, and Luke with Nick, Mayfair, and Gyan looking on. They are trying to get Dava to tell them where Anri is. Dava then says she has had enough and asks Gyan for help. Mayfair is about ready to skin Gyan when Queen Anri shows up hale and hearty.

Anri then explains that Dava was testing Nick before he could be crowned. Dava says that Nick is as strong, if not stronger, as his father. Gyan says that all kings of Cypress have underwent the same test on Crowning Day. Mayfair then chases Gyan off screen and and then it cuts to a few days later to Nick's real Crowning Day. Everybody is in attendance just like at the beginning of book three. This time Mayfair crowns Nick and he joins his comrades and they start to party. It then cuts to the girl you see at the beginning of the game in the menu who gives the happily ever after part of the story and then the credits start.

The credits are the Shining Force CD credits, so this would technically be the end of the game. All those people who have played this game without the RAM cart have never actually been able to finish this game. The top part is the credits and the bottom part is a humorous scene involving all the members of the Shining Force doing various things. Everybody except Lowe that is. He was not at the crowning either. It is like the programmers completely forgot he existed.

Now on to book four!

Feb 27 at 10:55:30 AM
Natty Bumppo (1)

< Alex Kidd >
Colorado
I wrote a guide for the museum battle that is available on the web - because of some of the powerful enemies (who work in groups) it can be tricky. If you have trouble I can post a link to it if you wish.

-------------------------

"When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!"

Feb 27 at 5:16:48 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
Originally posted by: Natty Bumppo

I wrote a guide for the museum battle that is available on the web - because of some of the powerful enemies (who work in groups) it can be tricky. If you have trouble I can post a link to it if you wish.

It will be on easy. Do you think it will still be pretty hard?

Feb 27 at 5:40:34 PM
Natty Bumppo (1)

< Alex Kidd >
Colorado
Originally posted by: JeremiahJT

Originally posted by: Natty Bumppo

It will be on easy. Do you think it will still be pretty hard?
I am not sure how much difference that will make in that particular battle.  It is hard by its contruction - you have clusters of two or three bosses that you have to encounter at the same time as you progress (the battlefield is like a garden path so you don't have much freedom of movement) so the strategies you used to originally beat them won't work for the most part.   And no shame in getting your butt kicked during this battle - I know I did all too often until I sat down and looked at it carefully.     

"When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!"

Feb 27 at 9:45:47 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
I gave book four The Museum a go. Holy crap is that a lot of bosses! I think every boss from book one except for the first forms of Bazoo and Woldol are there and every single boss from books two and three look to be there. Like Natty Bumppo said they like to cluster together in large groups. The game gives you Nick, Deanna, Ruce, Slade, Wendy, Claude, Eric, Luke, Jaha, Dawn, Natasha, and Sarah. Casting egress only starts the battle over so there is no way to switch characters out I guess. I would like to think that Lowe is sitting back at headquarters waiting to help but the Shining Force just cannot get back to him.

I tried it once and died of course. I knew I would not beat it on the first try so I was not being real tactical. I managed to take down Dantom, Bazoo, Death Woldol, and Solo before Nick was killed by the Evil Monster. The best thing about the battle is that Sarah, Wendy, and Natasha regain two magic points every turn.

I used the quit command to end the game so I assume when I go back I will be able to pick up where I left off. Not really a big deal either way, but Sarah did go from level 19 to level 20 which gave her Aura level four.

Natty Bumppo, could you go ahead a link to your guide. I plan on trying at least two or three more times sans guide, but if I still have not beat it by then then I will use a guide.

Feb 28 at 7:20:27 AM
Natty Bumppo (1)

< Alex Kidd >
Colorado
And it gets harder as you move along! Here is a link to the guide:

http://forums.shiningforcecentral...

Mar 05 at 11:51:35 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
Well I have tried it about 8 or 9 times so far. My last attempt I made it past Iom, but half of my force had been killed when I shut it off. I do not think I will be winning this current battle. My biggest problem is impatience. I was about to finish off the Evil Monster with everybody still alive when I sent somebody too far ahead and Kisaragi came over to attack. The same thing happened when I was fighting Iom, I sent somebody too far ahead and Warderer and Woldol came over to attack. I need to just stay patient and I should be able to do better.

I got pretty good at beating the first group, Gordon, Death Woldol, Dantom, Barbara, and Solo, without losing anybody pretty quickly. Then I was having trouble with Chu Rao and Bazoo attacking quickly together when i got near the Evil Monster and taking a fighter or two out. I decided to try and engage Bazoo before he could make it to the Evil Monster. It took a few tries, but the last time I played it I managed to take Bazoo out with the first group without losing anybody. I really wish I would not have been so stupid with moving my members forward, but I was. Next time I know better.

I am not sure if can get past Iom without losing anybody. Shade can take out both of the little Ioms without getting in their range, but he cannot attack the big Iom without being in his range. Unfortunately Eric and Dawn have lances instead of spears, so only Claude and one other close quarters fighter can attack at one time. I think I may try to use Wendy's attack spell on Claude and one of my Gladiators and then use Nick's and Deanna's level four Bolt. Since Iom is the only boss that I can only get two fighters involved it might be worth to use both of the spells on him.

After Iom is Warderer, Bulldor, and Woldol. Hopefully I can draw only one of them out and hit him with everything I have. We shall see.

Mar 09 at 6:42:21 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
A dream! It was all a dream! Are you kidding me? Well I obviously beat book four The Museum finally. My victory did not come with the save I had going in the last post, I was wiped out by the Woldol-Warderer-Bulldor group.

My victory came quickly after that loss. I did have one or two attempts sputter quickly with the Gordon-Solo-Death Woldol-Barbara-Dantom + Bazoo fight and one that ended at the Evil Monster. Eventually I was able to take out the first group plus Bazoo without losing anybody. Then Chu Rao went down quickly as did the Evil Monster after that. This time I did not allow Kisaragi to attack before I was ready. Kisaragi and Frabell did take out Luke. I had a chance to use Aura with Sarah, but I thought I could get him out of the fight before Kisaragi or Frabell got another turn, but I was wrong. I decided to push on and took out Frabell and Kisaragi quickly after that.

I took out the two little Ioms with Shade since he can do it without getting hit. For the big Iom, I used Wendy's Attack spell on fighters one at a time, except for when Claude was also involved, and sent them in to attack Iom. With this battle I cheated a little bit and would save frequently so I could go back to a save point if things went bad. This was the first time I have used this tactic since starting the Shining Force series. I also sent Natasha around to the other side to use her level four Blaze spell. Eventually Iom went down without me having to use Nick's or Deanna's Bolt spell.

When I defeated the little Iom on the right side I used Nick for the kill shot. Before I could move him, Warderer came up to him and attacked with his Bolt spells. Fortunately his double Bolt spell did not kill him and it gave me a way to drain all of his magic power without losing anybody. There is a path towards the Woldol-Warderer-Bulldor group that leads into a buzz-saw. Woldol charges forward with his Demon Breath and Warderer and Bulldor attack before you can get everybody through the small gap. Luckily there is another path farther down that lets you stage your group without forcing a fight.

Once I had everybody ready I moved a fighter into a tile I knew would force Woldol to attack, one I had just discovered on accident, and then quickly counterattacked. I was able to do some damage to Woldol without forcing the other two into the fight. Once I finally surrounded Woldol then the other two came to help. Warderer was not nearly as deadly without his magic. I did have two or three characters get down to where the next hit would kill them, but I was able to remove them from danger each time. After Woldol went down, Warderer and then Bulldor followed him.

For the Dava-Geppel fight, I lured Geppel away from Dava and quickly overwhelmed him. I then prepared my assault on Dava and then bum-rushed her. I had four fighters surrounding her with melee attacks. Shade attacked from afar, Wendy and Natasha attacked with level four Blaze spells, and Nick and Deanna used their Bolt spells. She went down with nary a whimper. She never even used a spell against me! She attacked Jaha every turn and did hardly any damage. I am not even sure she can move off of her spot. The final fight of the game was terribly easy.

We then are shown Mayfair waking up a sleeping Nick. Of course it was all a dream. Mayfair asks Nick if he knows what day it is and Nick gets frantic and runs and grabs a gift for Mayfair from his dresser. Mayfair says it is not her birthday, it is the day he goes to the museum with his friends. Mayfair really talks down to Nick. Mayfair tells Nick to change his "cloths" and then hands her present back and the cut scene ends and the credits begin.

The credits say Shining Force CD Burning Staff. I have no idea what that means. Like the end of A New Challenge, the credits are at the top and a humorous scene plays underneath. I think the characters in this scene are the programmers. The characters are dressed in real world clothes and have things like motorcycles, jet packs, cars, and golf equipment. At the end of the credits it says "The Very End." I guess we know there is no book five.

Let me think on this game for a while and see what my final thoughts on Shining Force CD are.

Mar 19 at 7:41:50 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
Finally have time to give my final thoughts for Shining Force CD. Of course I think the game is great, the question is how great. The game definitely takes time to complete and will keep you playing for a while even if you do not have the RAM cartridge. It would have been well worth the money if you bought it new back in 1995. I am not sure if it would be worth what I paid for it, but it also has collector value that takes care of that.

Some of the highlights of the game include the hidden characters in each of the first two books, although I only found one in each book. It is cool how your characters from the first two books are the ones you get in the last two books. However strong your characters were are how strong they are in the extra books. Since I only found Domingo and Rush those were the only two hidden characters I could use in book three. It is annoying how you cannot use Mayfair or Gyan in book three or how your book four party is unchangeable.

I am still not sure about the towns. I think I like the little bit of exploration in The Legacy of Great Intention better than the camps of Shining Force CD. I still love how the game lets you know who can equip what and how it will affect them.

The fighting is just as awesome as the previous game. The plot and story were also a plus and the cut scenes were fun. The disrespect shown to Lowe is still unforgivable though.

Excellent game that is hard to compare head-to-head with Shining Force. If I had to pick now I think I would go with Shining Force CD being the better game, but that might be recency bias.

On to Shining Force II. I need to find a copy of the manual online somewhere so I can read through it first.