Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Shining Force initiate begins a journey I am starting my play through of the Shining Force series for the Genesis and Sega CD!

Dec 17, 2016 at 10:29:09 AM
Natty Bumppo (1)

< Alex Kidd >
Colorado
Originally posted by: JeremiahJT

Tonight was an all out attack on King Edmond with disastrous results. The first attempt ended with Nick being killed thanks to Cerberus spewing a breath of flame continuously. The second attempt ended when my wife handed me our baby and I dropped the controller. I do not know how, but somehow the controller hitting the floor caused the game to completely reset. The third attempt was thwarted thanks to my hubris. The fighting was not that difficult, but it was slow going. Once I had all of King Edmond's underlings defeated, I had my three separate groups converge on him without any thought to the tactical situation. Suffice it to say that King Edmond ate our lunch. He has a strong attack, attacks twice a round often, and he gets a turn much more often the my characters. I do not relish having to redo that battle since the movement is so hampered.
IIRC you can send in your weaker characters first and let Edmund finish them off.   This results in a situation where he doesn't get the extra turns and your stronger characters can then tackle him on more equal terms.   

-------------------------

"When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!"

Dec 17, 2016 at 12:59:02 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

(Jeremiah Thomas) < Sketch Turner >
Texas
Originally posted by: Natty Bumppo

Tonight was an all out attack on King Edmond with disastrous results. The first attempt ended with Nick being killed thanks to Cerberus spewing a breath of flame continuously. The second attempt ended when my wife handed me our baby and I dropped the controller. I do not know how, but somehow the controller hitting the floor caused the game to completely reset. The third attempt was thwarted thanks to my hubris. The fighting was not that difficult, but it was slow going. Once I had all of King Edmond's underlings defeated, I had my three separate groups converge on him without any thought to the tactical situation. Suffice it to say that King Edmond ate our lunch. He has a strong attack, attacks twice a round often, and he gets a turn much more often the my characters. I do not relish having to redo that battle since the movement is so hampered.
IIRC you can send in your weaker characters first and let Edmund finish them off.   This results in a situation where he doesn't get the extra turns and your stronger characters can then tackle him on more equal terms.   

So does the amount of attacks he gets depend on how many characters you have?  Or does he get a turn after every x amount of your turns and if your weaker characters are dead then they are not wasting one of your turns?

Dec 17, 2016 at 3:28:50 PM
Natty Bumppo (1)

< Alex Kidd >
Colorado

So does the amount of attacks he gets depend on how many characters you have?  Or does he get a turn after every x amount of your turns and if your weaker characters are dead then they are not wasting one of your turns?

I assume he gets an attack after so many of yours - so with fewer (and only the stronger)  characters you get stronger attacks in - he also gets less chances to heal in relation to the damge he gets.  Been a very long time since I played though so may be not remembering things correctly.    

Edit - it also helps if you keep your characters on high ground so they get a defense bonus - and if you can keep Edmund off of it so he doesn't.

"When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!"

Edited: 12/17/2016 at 03:47 PM by Natty Bumppo

Dec 18, 2016 at 2:04:32 AM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas

I assume he gets an attack after so many of yours - so with fewer (and only the stronger)  characters you get stronger attacks in - he also gets less chances to heal in relation to the damge he gets.  Been a very long time since I played though so may be not remembering things correctly.    

Edit - it also helps if you keep your characters on high ground so they get a defense bonus - and if you can keep Edmund off of it so he doesn't.

I did not know you got defensive bonuses due to the type of terrain you are on.

Dec 18, 2016 at 2:40:39 AM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
This time I took my time getting my characters in position and took out King Edmond fairly easily. The Demon Master seems to always leave King Edmond to attack anybody coming in from the left, so I was able to take out her quickly. Luckily this time the Cleric also left the King. He went up the right side to start attacking with the Evil Ring and I was able to kill him without drawing out King Edmond. I then healed everybody up (I still had all 12 characters alive) and attacked. Fortunately King Edmond decided to attack my character with the highest defense, the most hit points, and who can cast Heal to regain hit points: Sig. I was then able to surround the King with three more fighters and I got both of my archers in range. I was not able to get either mage into the battle, but they were not needed as I defeated him without losing even one character.

After the battle a paladin named Randolf joined the team. He is the last surviving member of his platoon. Exactly how many different groups were sent to Cypress? He is inserted into your party for some dialogue in the next battle.

The next battle actually took me three tries to get through it. The 4 Belials and 2 Demon Masters kept attacking Nick en masse successfully. The third time I was able to keep the Demon Masters from joining the Belials and the rest of the battle is pretty straightforward The Evil Bishop and the Executioner make their first appearance, but they are only backed up by a Brass Gunner so they went down fairly easily.

I changed up my group. Right now I have Ruce, Shade, Sig, Wendy, Apis, Stock, Mayfair, Yeesha, Gyan, Kashing, and Randolf. I am trying to level up my mages, Kashing, and especially Gyan right now.

Dec 19, 2016 at 2:17:12 AM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
Geppel has been defeated. I cleared out all other monsters before tackling him (except of course the constantly respawning Dulahans) and took him down without too much trouble. A couple of my characters were killed thanks to the Assassins on the walls, the two Demon Masters, and the couple of times Geppel came down and used the Axe of Atlas. Nick went by himself to take on the two Chimeras and to get the contents of the chest. Both Chimeras only used melee attacks, so I am not sure if the Chimeras in this game have a special attack.

Once I realized that the Dulahans respawn, I decided to grind. After I cleared out all the enemies I had 8 characters left and all of them but Sig gained good experience for killing a Dulahan. So I leveled up Nick, Apis, Wendy, Mayfair, Stock, Gyan, and Kashing up to level 13. I really wish Yeesha would not have been killed since she is only at level 8, but she was and I did not feel like retreating and starting the battle over. Once everyone was leveled up and healed, I situated them within striking distance of Geppel. I attacked with everybody at once, well except for Mayfair and Wendy, and took him down fairly quickly and won the Axe of Atlas.

Once Geppel falls I went straight into the next battle with Bazoo (again) and Frabel. I retreated and saved and will take them on later.

I did look and see that I missed Amigo. I looked around every bush, but the search option never showed up. I probably would not have used her anyway.

This next fight might be a little tougher since there are two bosses, but I think all the grinding I just did will help me out. I should work on getting Yeesha leveled up, but I am not sure if I will.

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:55:01 AM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
Book 1 has been conquered. The fight with Frabell and Bazoo version 2 was not too bad. You can clear out all the other monsters without engaging the two bosses or the Evil Bishop up there with them. After dispatching their backup, I was then able to take out Frabell without Bazoo and his Evil Bishop getting involved. After Frabell was taken out, I healed my party and staged them for an all-out attack. Bazoo's magic was deadly, but he went down real quick with 12 people beating on him.

The next fight was quite a bit harder. Woldol kept spitting the demon breath and doing massive damage. After the second or third time Nick died, I started playing really carefully around Woldol. Eventually Woldol was killed along with his lackeys, leaving only the Evil Monster. The Evil Monster packs quite a punch with the Bolt level 3, but I was able to take him down while only losing two characters.

Unfortunately, but not unpredictably, you go straight into the next fight with whatever characters you have left. I was down two, but Lug showed up and fought with me, so it was like only being down one. I was able to win this final fight on the first try, mostly because I kept Nick out of the fight until only Woldol was left. For the most part I was able to take out the Taroses and the Sentinel without too much loss of life. Some of the Taroses moved to protect Woldol, but I was able to kill them quickly, leaving only Woldol and the ever-spawning Evil Bishop. I made about three unsuccessful attacks on Woldol before I realized Lug told me to attack first with Nick and the Sword of Hajya. After breaking the seal on his defense and having Nick's arm turned to stone, I attacked Woldol with everything I had. He kept spitting the demon breath though and kept killing my fighters. When Nick struck the final blow to kill Woldol, I only had one other character left and combined they had about 20 hit points left.

The game treated me to a pretty good ending and an unfinished tale. Since book 1 is the first Game Gear Shining Force game, I must say this would be an excellent handheld title. I do not know if the game saves or if their is a password feature, but this game would have been a blast to play on the Game Gear when it came out. Actually is still would be, well except for the whole in Japanese thing. It got me pumped to start on book 2, which I immediately did, but I will give my thoughts on the first battle after I play a couple more.

Edited: 01/11/2017 at 08:47 PM by JeremiahJT

Jan 11 at 6:41:02 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
I picked up a loose copy of Shining Force II for $30 from a local collector yesterday so I will be able to continue the saga once I finish Shining Force CD. Speaking of Shining Force CD, I have not played for about 3 weeks now. I kind of took a break to play some Wonder Boy games on the Master System and some 7800 and NES too. I plan on continuing tonight. I played through the first battle of book 2 already, maybe I can get through a couple more battles today.

Jan 11 at 11:47:49 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
I fought through two more battles of "The Evil God Awakes" and I'm ready to give my initial thoughts. First things first, isn't the main character male? Because Deanna is not a male name. The game asks if this is a sequel, since I played through book one first I said yes. What does that entail and how is the game different whether you play it as a sequel or not? I chose easy since that it was I did for "Towards the Root of Evil" and I wanted to keep things the same.

This game starts out a little differently than most. It starts with a fairly long cut scene in which we presumably get to meet most, if not all, of the game's bosses. We also get to watch the King (of?) sacrificed to the Prince of Darkness, Iom. That is definitely not normal. We see quite a bit of dialogue and Warderer offers condolences to Hindel for "a lowly swordsmen killing his brother." I would think the lowly swordsman will be part of the shining force. Maybe even Deanna?

A now sighted Mayfair bids a speaking Nick adieu, and he leaves with Gyan and maybe Claude, Randolf, and an NPC priest or vicar along with the Cypress Army. As Nick is leaving the new main character is brought in unconscious after falling off a cliff.

Chapter 1 starts with Sergeant-of-the-Guard Mayfair checking on her troops. They immediately start goofing off when she leaves and Deanna actually speaks. Only one word, but still. Once most everybody has left their post the walls are breached on each side. I really do not think anything would have been different if they were at their posts. They still saw the attack immediately and reacted. The first battle starts with the mage Natasha, the warrior Jaha, the knights Eric and Dawn, and the monk Luke. Just like book 1, your healer at the beginning is a monk instead of a priest. We see a new enemy, the Dragonute, who looks pretty cool. After defeating the first group of enemies, the Sword of Hajya is stolen by Graham. Why Nick left the Sword of Hajya is beyond me. The antagonists say it is because of his stone arm, but he was still able to use the sword against Woldol in the first book so I do not understand why he left it now. Your party chases Graham through the hole in the wall and down a cliff and we find out Jaha is extremely clumsy.

This leads directly to the second battle, which is not too bad. Afterwards Mayfair and Deanna head into Thames Village to find out about the thief. They talk to the merchant and he only tries to sell them goods. The rest of the village is almost empty except for a skulking priest named Shade who is easily convinced to join the group and fight Iom instead of giving them the Sword of Hajya in exchange for the villagers' lives. We then chase Graham to Albert Cliffs after buying all new weapons for my party.

This third fight is more difficult than the first or second, but is still fairly easy. Apparently we are still not at the cliffs yet though, I guess we have to wait for the next fight to see Albert Cliffs. It is nice having a priest in the group now for extra healing since Luke really does not have a lot of mp.

Mayfair has taken over Lowe's role from book one and Nova's from The Legacy of Great Intention. One problem I had in both Shining Force and book one was my mages being killed easily. This time I decided to not let that happen. I have been giving Natasha the kill shot as much as possible and she now is the only level six character I have. Hopefully with book two I can have a mage or two who actually participate fully in the battles.

So far this is almost exactly like book one. Considering they are both Game Gear games that in not too surprising. I want to see how the story is wrapped up and how books three and four are connected to the first two.

Jan 14 at 2:25:22 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
I caught Graham at Albert Cliffs and chased him into a house on top of the hill. The enemies here are spread out and do not give much of a challenge. I do like the look of this battle, like the distant ground off the side of the cliffs is a cool effect. The Death Archer says we are too late and the Dark Mage already has the Sword of Hajya. Which leads into a cut scene of the Dark Mage forcing Graham into giving him the Sword. There is a house at the top, so I guess this is still on Albert Cliffs, but zoomed in. I am a little confused about where this battle takes place.

The last battle of chapter one is more difficult than the previous ones. There are plenty of Iom Knights along with a Ratman and Dark Mage for the first time. I made sure I searched the well and got the Ticket to the museum, which Mayfair then immediately takes away from you for safekeeping. I lost a few members, but I had enough to finish off all of the Dark Mage's forces and then the Dark Mage. He somehow manages to teleport away and give the Sword to a Gargoyle. As the Gargoyle is absconding with the Sword of Hajya, Graham shoots it down. Graham then says he was able to save his people of Thames Village. How? Were they all hidden in that house? If so, how did they escape? Is there a secret exit off the cliffs? It does not make much sense. Graham then decides to join the group, so I now have a Ranger!

Mayfair says that the Gargoyle went down near King Emild's castle. Who is King Emild? There are too many kings in this game. Maybe he is the one that was sacrificed at the beginning of the book. And thus ends chapter one.

Chapter two begins with the group unable to find the Gargoyle's body. We are then treated to a confusing scene between a dwarf masquerading as a soldier of King Emild and future party member since he has a portrait when he talks. The fake soldier tries to arrest the other character who is standing outside of a castle, which has to be King Emild's castle. Which make no sense. Eventually the fake soldier notices the arrival of your force and pushes the other character over the bridge and then collapses the bridge cutting off the castle. He drops his disguise and for some inexplicable reason explains his orders from Gordon and the fight then starts. At that point I cast Egress and saved and quit.

Hopefully the next fight or two sheds light on what is going on because I was thoroughly confused about the scene. Chapter one was pretty easy, but that is not a bad thing. It was brisk, fun, and presumably set up the rest of the book. On to chapter two.

Jan 15 at 6:23:26 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
I fought through the fake Emild soldier (actually a Hell Soldier and not a regular Dwarf) and his underlings and met Chester the Archer. He confirmed the King Emild had the Sword of Hajya and brought the party to him. The cut scene with Chester introducing Deanna and the King giving over the Sword was very obvious from the get go. Right before King Emild hands over the Sword, he instead destroys part of the castle and reveals himself to actually be Gordon. Gordon informs the group that King Emild was the King sacrificed at the beginning of the book and Chester joins the party so he can get Gordon. Gordon flees with the Sword and leaves a group of monsters to slow you down.

After that battle the Court Mage, May, comes running in. After talking about Gordon, she says the King has been acting strange lately. She then joins the group and you head into the underground passage after Gordon. Gordon is heavily guarded, but it looks like he might stay and fight. I egressed and quit though, so he may flee again.

These two battles have made the scene between Chester and the Hell Soldier even more confusing. Gordon was already posing as the King before the disguised Hell Soldier tried to arrest Chester. It makes absolutely no sense. Iom already had control of the castle and possession of the Sword. Why even arrest Chester? I know I am probably overthinking the plot of a 16-bit tactical role-playing game from 1994 based on a 8-bit handheld game from 1993, but it is still confusing.

I promoted Natasha and Luke once they hit level 10. Most everybody else is at level 8 right now. On easy level I think I will be able to get by promoting everybody at level 10.

Jan 16 at 1:08:23 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
Gordon actually stayed and fought. At the beginning of the fight he headed to the stairs and I thought he would escape, but he stayed and died. He did have a nice trap of Zombies set up, but it was not sprung until all the other monsters were killed. Nobody came and snatched the Sword of Hajya away either. Unfortunately Deanna cannot equip the Sword yet. After the battle Mayfair shows up to take the group back and a disembodied voice tells the group that the Cypress Army has been defeated and that Nick has been captured! The voice instructs the group to head to Portobello to gain access to a ship so they can cross the sea to Iom.

The next fight has a Master Mage as the boss and quite a bit of monsters backing him up. They are guarding the port of Portobello so the Shining Force cannot sail to Iom. After being defeated the Master Mage confirms that Nick has been captured and that he is being held at an impenetrable fort at Algam! The group then runs towards the boat. Overall not too tough and two of the monsters drop nice weapons and a chest contains the first ring I have come across in this book.

The Iom boat is of course guarded. An Arch Knight is in charge of the force guarding the boat. This fight has some powerful foes, but they can be challenged just a few at a time. Two chests are found in this battle and the Arch Knight drops a Power Spear. Immediately after the Arch Knight is defeated the group is shown on the Iom ship.

The ship is not moving and Mayfair does not know why. Then Randolf from book one and Nick's army appears along with the Lady Sarah, who was the character from Nick's army who I did not know. Sarah says the army was defeated at Algam Fort and you find out Claude also escaped. So Nick and probably Gyan were taken by Iom. I am going to go out on a limb and say all the nameless soldiers were killed and none were taken hostage. Randolf tells the group to get off the boat, but before everybody can disembark the gangplank cracks and the group is split. Deanna, Eric, Jaha, Slade, Chester, and May along with Mayfair are trapped on the boat while Natasha, Luke, Dawn, and Graham are left on the pier with Randolf and Sarah.

The boat starts moving and the characters on it cannot stop it. Thus ends chapter two. This is a pretty cool and unexpected plot twist.

Chapter three starts out with the group panicked and unable to control the ship. A Bishop appears and lets the group know that this was a trap and then sets up the next battle. At that point I quit, but the next battle does seem like it might be pretty tough due to the monsters involved and only having six characters.

Before the fight at the pier I was able to promote the rest of my team. Everybody has been promoted at level 10 so far. The rest of the new members I get are probably already going to be promoted, but that is just a guess. I wonder if I will fight with the team left at the docks also or if I will just control Deanna's group until they are reunited, assuming they are reunited.

Jan 20 at 1:36:48 AM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
The fight on the ship was actually easy. The enemies attacked about two at a time so it was no real trouble. After the fight Claude shows up and Mayfair says "You must be Claude." What? She should know Claude. They fought together in book one. They both joined the Shining Force before there were twelve members so they had to have fought together. I guess maybe she has never seen Claude since she regained her eyesight, but then what was she doing as Nick was gathering his force. I watched a Youtube video showing the beginning of the book and she and Claude are never on the same screen, but they are on the same map not too far away from each other. So how Mayfair does not know exactly who Claude is is a major plot hole I think. Anyway, Claude joins the group led by Deanna and Mayfair and tells you the other group is heading towards Iom as you should also.

The next fight starts in a field, I guess nothing of note happened at the port of Demis. Again the enemies are spread out so they are easy to take out. We see Bow Riders, Lizardmen, a Sorcerer, and a Worm for the first time. In book one, the first time I fought Lizardmen they really did a number on my party, but this time they were not too tough. After killing the Sorcerer a giant hole appears beneath the characters and they fall to their doom! How the Bird Battler fell down a hole is beyond me.

Cut to the other group at the bottom of a steep cliff. Sarah says they must climb the cliff, much to Luke's consternation. Natasha's reason for knowing the Egress spell is now apparent. There is a chest here, but it only has gold coins. Yay! The movement here is slightly slower due to having to climb the vines. The battle was not too bad. I thought the Bishop was the main bad guy, but it was the Lizardman who ended this fight. Rohde then appears and gives the group the backstory about building the Algam Fort. He says there is a way in and joins the group.

The group then rappels down a mountain to the top of the fort. Some guards show up and Sarah tells everybody to be quiet. They listen in on the conversation and when they mention that Prince Nick will be sacrificed Sarah yells and stupidly reveals their position. I had Luke go left by himself and everybody else head down. At this point Luke can easily handle any enemy the game throws at me. I foolishly found out that if Natasha dies then the current battle ends with this group. Oops. There is a door that continuously spawns Evil Pixies. I let Luke soak up all of the Sorcerer's level one and two Freeze attacks and set up my party to kill Evil Pixies. Unfortunately I took too many hit point off the Sorcerer and a counterattack killed her before I could do any leveling.

The group then goes inside the fort and finds out that Lord Solo has the power to blow out candles. One of the enemies on the map says that with the help of Lord Solo's powers they will defeat the force. I assume the power is the darkness and the inhibited visibility. Not that impressive of a power. There were only like three enemies on the map, either more will show up or the power is something else. I did not start the fight, but it looks easy from first glance.

I thought the two groups will be back together by now. Maybe they will reunite when chapter three ends. My next move is to finish the fight in the darkness and take the fort probably by taking out Lord Solo. I am not sure where Deanna is right now, his group might also be captured at the fort.

Jan 22 at 9:03:22 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
Lord Solo's power also included summoning Zombies, Bow Riders, Lizardmen, Bishops, and a Sorcerer and it still did not make a difference. They did manage to exhaust Graham, but Luke could probably take out every enemy by himself. The Deadly Born went down without too much fuss and Sarah then leads the group to the Algam fields. I thought we would take out the leader of the fort, Lord Solo, but maybe not.

We then are shown Deanna's group who are now trapped in an underground cave. Lava has created a path in the cave and as the fight goes on more of the path is destroyed giving the party only one path. This fight was probably slightly harder than the last. The Hawkman is not terribly tough, but more difficult than anything else in the battle. After the battle the group is desperately searching for an exit because of the oncoming Iom Army. A light appears and then a voice also. Mayfair says she recognizes the voice. I am not sure if she recognizes it from after the Gordon fight or from somewhere else. The voice lowers a rope and the group escapes to the Algam fields.

Once topside they see Sarah and Natasha's group and both groups break out in dance as the reunite. They actually just run to each other and Luke trips and falls over a bush. Back at camp you now have a decision. For the first time in "The Evil God Awakes" you have more than 12 members. Sarah is now a playable character also. I left Randolf and Luke out of my group. Right now they are so much stronger than everybody else and can make battles too easy. I have not checked the next map yet, but I would think the next fight is at Algam fields. After that we may be fighting at the Algam fort again.

Jan 25 at 6:30:37 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
The next battle did take place at Algam fields. The map is large and it has plenty of monsters, especially worms. The boss is a Ghoul who is guarded by a Cleric, a Bow Rider, and a Sorcerer. The most difficult thing about this battle was the size of the map. I split my group up to take everything out which made it easier for the monsters to do more damage to a single character. Eventually everything was killed without losing anybody. One thing to note, they start calling the structure at the top Iom Castle. I am pretty sure it is Algam Fort and they just had a little continuity error. The Ghoul said that Ballon would take care of me, which we learn is a typo in the next battle.

The next battle takes place at Algam Fort/Iom Castle and we are treated to a cut scene. Solo and Barbara are going at it, but are stopped by Warderer and Hindel. We then learn that Warderer has revived King Emild, I guess nobody on the translation team knew the word resurrection. I really do not what part a revived King Emild will play outside of making Chester happy. The game is strongly hinting at Hindel being the traitor, but before we find out who Warderer suspects the Shining Force interrupts their discussion. Warderer, now called King Iom, Hindel, and Barbara escape to the Shrine and Solo stays to fight. He says his Death Balloons will stop Deanna. Death Ballons had a better ring to it. The map has six treasure chest in it which contain pretty good loot. I split my group up into two groups and send one left and the other right. Neither way is particularly difficult, but Death Balloons do randomly appear. They do not attack, but they do blow up when killed damaging all characters close to them. They offer good experience so I did kill all of them. You can get all of Solo's guards except the Cleric away from him. So the final fight is not too bad, I killed the Cleric first and then took down Solo with continued attacks. He can do some major damage with his Bolt spells though.

After defeating Solo he threatens to Corbomite Maneuver the Shining Force, but instead is dumbstruck when he looks at Deanna and recognizes him. Solo then realizes who the traitor is and dies. Mayfair then questions Deanna about the traitor, but Deanna still has amnesia. Deanna is probably Hindel's presumed dead brother. Chapter three then ends and chapter four begins.

Sir Hindel and Barbara are taking Nick to the Shrine when the Cypress Army gets too close. Hindel orders Barbara to take Nick ahead, but she refuses. Warderer suspects Hindel of being the traitor. Instead they both head to the shrine and leave a force led by a Minotaur and including spawning Golems. Again I split my force and made short work of this map. After killing the Minotaur Gyan appears and joins the group. Mayfair wants to immediately chase after Nick, but Gyan convinces her to rest at the village. At the village we find a merchant with all new weapons. I ran out of money before I could buy everything, but I was able to get everything except a new glove for Luke.

The next map is a valley where Gyan says that an ambush would be fatal. So of course we are ambushed. A Demon Master says that they must lure the group into the dungeons. Not sure what that means. There is also a giant statue called the Iom Statue. At first I thought it was scenery, but then it got a turn. After a few turns of nothing it turned on its Iom Beam and did massive damage. I was not expecting that. It is a vertical version of the Laser Eye from the first Shining Force. After that I made sure I had both chests, the Valkyrie and the Buster Shot, and then ran away. Now that I know what I am up against I can better prepare. It also seemed liked some monsters appeared out of thin air, but maybe I was imagining that.

Jan 26 at 11:28:00 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
Fought the battle with the Iom Statue again. This time I sent my melee fighters up the valley to take out the monsters and kept my magic users at the bottom of the map and out of the valley. The Iom Beam hurt my fighters, but did not damage my magic users. I then sent Slade and Sarah to heal the fighters and then attacked the Iom Statue and its guards. The Iom Statue fired off one more Iom Beam that managed to kill Dawn, but it was quickly destroyed after that and then the Demon Master was defeated.

The Demon Master said they would still win if the resurrection was successful. I guess the translation team does know the word resurrection. The revival of King Emild now makes sense. He was a trial run to perfect the process before they try it on their target. Assuming that the kingdom of Iom is named after a person named Iom. I would guess they are trying to resurrect that person. I do not think that are trying to resurrect Woldol, Darksol, or the Dark Dragon.

Feb 03 at 10:17:13 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
The next battle starts with King Warderer and Hindel running away with a helpless Nick and leaving Barbara to fight. Chimeras and their spewing of breath of flames appear for the first time, along with the Dulahan and Taros. The enemies are also spread out like usual, but nothing too tough. One of the chests has an Evil Claw. Like any other cursed objects I will not use it, but it still annoys me how so many of the best weapons are cursed. I did find Rush hiding in a statue at the beginning.

Barbara puts up a decent fight. Only a single Cleric and Brass Gunner stay near her. Her attack and defense are pretty good, but her magic is pathetic. She does use the Axe of Atlas as a Blaze level three spell quite often though. She goes down pretty quick under concentrated attack.

After the fight Deanna and Mayfair are raring to go, but oh know, they are trapped by an army... consisting of a Demon Master, a Brass Gunner, and some kind of centaur. Luckily Ruce shows up to save you. He kills one third of the army, the Demon Master, in one hit and lets you escape.

Next the heroes are exposed to a familiar voice, Woldol! He lives. Well not quite. It is actually Death Woldol, I guess a resurrection gone wrong. Assassins, a Wyvern, and an Evil Bishop show up for the first time. There is enough firepower here to take out some characters like my Paladins. Especially if you split them up like I did. I eventually made it to Woldol and took him down. He is definetely not as tough as his scorpion version and I do not recall how tough his regular form was from book one. He does not have, or at least he did not use it on me, the demon breath attack that is so deadly. After he is defeated he melts away, yet still explode in fiery glory on screen.

I am thinking that there are only two battles left and most likely they will have to be fought back-to-back. I have avoided using any permanent stat boosting item so far, but I think now it the time for it. I will use it on my current team members that need the most help in whatever stat the item improves. I will go into the next, maybe last, battles with Natasha, Dawn, Eric, Shade, Jaha, Graham, Chester, May, Claude, Sarah, and Gyan. Not the strongest group, but the group I like playing with right now.

Feb 04 at 9:32:20 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
I attempted to finish the book, and failed. The next fight we get to see King Warderer punish Hindel for being the traitor. Nick is tied up ready for sacrifice and Hindel is unconscious on the floor. When the fight starts they both disappear though. Skull Knights and a Sentinel show up. The centaur from the end of the previous battle was a Skull Knight. The fight is not too tough. I lost Claude to the Wyvern, but I took everybody else out relatively easy.

For the fight against Warderer and his Evil Bishop I used Graham and Chester to snipe at them. Warderer would occasionally come over and cast Bolt at them. Between that and both of them using to Aura to heal each other they used up their magic pretty quick. Once they were low I sent in everybody. The Evil Bishop died quickly and I surrounded Warderer. He went down pretty quick and easy.

After the fight Warderer disappears and Hindel and Nick reappear exactly where they were before the fight. Hindel saves Nick from being sacrificed by a quickly reappearing Warderer and Nick escapes. Nick thanks a now unmasked Hindel and says that his arm is now healed. We find out that Hindel and Deanna are brothers and that Gyan knew the whole time. I do not remember any hints about Gyan being in on the ruse, but maybe I just missed them. A should-be-dead Warderer throws Hindel into the lava as a sacrifice and then adds himself to the sacrifice causing a dragon? and two small heads to appear out of the lava. The next battle then starts.

Nick is now part of the force. Since I lost Claude I still have twelve, but I wonder if Nick would be an extra fighter or if he would have just replaced one of the characters. Nick was unarmed so I had to make sure Deanna got him the Sword of Hajya.

There are only a small number of enemies for what should be the final battle: three Ioms, the big one and the two little heads, two Iom Dolls, and an Evil Bishop. I figured it would mean some of the enemies would be respawning and I was right. Both Iom Dolls will continually respawn, but they can be stopped by placing a character on their respawn spots. The Iom Dolls cast Freeze level three almost every time and the two little Iom heads use the demon breath constantly. Removing everybody except for the main Iom can be done without getting the main Iom involved.

Unfortunately Deanna was killed on my first attempt. I figured after leaving camp I would have to do the Warderer battle again, but instead I went straight to the Iom battle. Nick has to attack Iom with the Sword of Hajya before anybody else can harm Iom. This time I lost everybody but Deanna. I may have taken about half of Iom's hit points off before I egressed. I did manage to gain a few levels on most of my characters so maybe next time I can finish of the fight.

Iom's demon breath is powerful and has a huge area of affect, so I am not sure if I should attack en masse or one at a time. I think I will try to send in as many people as I can this next time.

Feb 04 at 11:33:38 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
I beat it! I sent everyone to the right to attack the Iom Doll and the Evil Bishop on that side. I placed Dawn over the respawn point and then killed the Iom Doll and Evil Bishop. Then I sent Eric around the top and everybody else left to attack the other Iom Doll. Eric was in place when I killed the Iom Doll so then I turned my attention to the little Iom heads. I overwhelmed both of them and then healed everybody up. I sent Nick in to make the first attack and then brought him back out and healed him. Then I sent in everybody I could. Jaha was up first in the front. Chester and Graham attacked with their bows from afar and May and Natasha attacked with their magic. Freeze worked best for them. I used Sarah to heal large groups with Aura. When Jaha went down I replaced him with Deanna. After a couple of attacks by Iom on Deanna I replaced Deanna with Nick. Natasha was killed, but shortly after Chester made the kill shot.

Iom is a tough fight. Fortunately unlike Woldol from book one he is stationary. Woldol only had one respawn point, but Iom has two. It is also easier to clear out all the other enemies around Iom since he is stationary than it was for Woldol. I think the Woldol fight was a little bit more difficult.

After the fight Warderer reappears and is taken to Hades against his will by Iom. The entire Shining Force is revived and brought to the shrine. Unfortunately Hindel is not brought back and Deanna does not want to go without his brother. Eventually Nick and Natasha convince Deanna to leave the crumbling Shrine. Back at Cypress Mayfair talks with the troops about Deanna's future. Everybody wants him to stay, but Gyan and Nick are unable to get him to stay. Not even Natasha can change his mind. So instead she leaves with Deanna and they presumably live happily ever after.

Now onto book three. I guess it should be open to me now and I can start. I might give it a try tonight.

Feb 07 at 11:19:40 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
Started book three, A New Challenge. The game asks if it is a sequel to a saved book two game and then to a saved book one game. I said yes to both so I assume that means all the characters will be imported. I read that for characters that appeared in both the game would transfer over the stronger version. I wonder if that includes Nick or if the game only takes the Nick from the first book. When I chose easy for the difficulty the game said "as usual." I thought that was pretty rude.

The game starts like book two with the same characters who failed as sentries then coming back for more. Fortunately instead of enemies busting through the walls Deanna and Natasha show up to attend Nick's crowning. So Nick is becoming King. Does that mean he is marrying Anri or is she Gardiana's Queen? After Deanna and Natasha go through an old woman named Dava shows up with three underlings, two of them are Chu Rao and Bulldor. Dava's name is sometimes shown in all uppercase so I wonder if she will join the Shining Force. She seems to be the main antagonist of this book so maybe that just made a typo. She easily removes Eric, Luke, and Jaha from her path and enters their castle where there are like 40 warriors. Who all just stand aside as she walks through. She then easily captures Anri, again, and taunts Nick as she teleports away.

We are then treated to a scroll that says "Final Chapter." Which is not true since there is a book four and I believe there is a third Game Gear game also. The first battle starts with a humorous scene involving zombies scaring Luke and Eric. Mayfair and Gyan are both in this scene, but neither are playable. Mayfair was playable in the first book and Gyan was playable in both books! Why not just make Lowe the advisor so you can fight with Mayfair? The game gives you Nick, Deanna, Luke, Claude, Eric, Dawn, Sarah, Ruce, Jaha, Wendy, Natasha, and Shade. They all have new weapons also. Buster Swords for the heroes and birdman, Misty Knuckles for the monks, Large Axes for the front line guys, Hyper Cannons for the archers, Javelins for the centaurs, and Great Rods for the magic users.

The enemies are all "new" too. By new I mean that put the word Dava in front of Zombie, Bat, Born, Ghoul, and Pixy. These new enemies are definitely harder than their non-Dava versions. The fight starts out with lightning destroying gravestones and making enemies appear. This lightning keeps coming back during the fight to bring in more enemies. Eventually it stops doing this, but there are two graves that continually respawn. This fight is tough. I lost plenty of people including Nick once. I could have played it safe and moved slowly and walling off my magic users, but that would have taken too long. Eventually I cleared everybody out and surround the respawn graves to do some leveling. I got every character still alive up to level 19 and then egressed and replaced just about everybody and went back at leveling. I did lose a few again, but everybody that was left made it to level 19. I decided not to fight the Dava Ghoul yet so I could level some more people. I am going to try to get everybody to 19 before I finish off this fight.

There are a ton of hidden items in this battle hidden in the graves. I found a Medical Herb, an Evil Ring, Mithril, a Venom Javelin (which is cursed), a set of Giant Knuckles, and a Running Pimento. I looked online for information about the Mithril and it looks like it is only good for money. I gave the Giant Knuckles to Sig and the Running Pimento to Shade. I searched every grave that I could so I think I got all of the secret items.

Feb 12 at 10:11:32 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
I got everybody up to at least level 19 and then I killed the Dava Ghoul. After all the leveling I did this battle became easy. Dava then taunts you and says you cannot defeat her three followers. You then enter the mansion and are greeted by a scene of great revelry. Overturned barrels of ale and drunk enemies abound. Fortunately plenty of enemies are passed out drunk on the floor and most of the standing ones are still too drunk to fight. Chu Rao says it took so long for Nick to arrive that they had a great party while waiting.

This fight is not too tough. If all those enemies actually fought then this would have been near impossible. Again this battle had tons of secret treasures. Luckily I had Shriek in my party because three of the treasures can only be found by a flying character. Two items were in the middle of a table and the third was in a barrel surrounded by other barrels. One of the items I got was a Pegasus Wing which after looking around online I found it is apparently useless. I got an Earth Axe, Shut Cannon, and Mystery Staff and gave them to Ruce, Stock, and Slade. The Teddy's Coat looked to be useless, but Gyan shows up wearing a Teddy Bear outfit that looks more like a dog the next time you see him.

The Necromancers pack a punch, the Dark Priests do have plenty of healing spells, and the Bow Masters and Berserker Knights have decent attack power, but nothing too bad. The Groggy Dwarves and Dava Knights do not offer up much challenge. Chu Rao can spew a breath of flame and his attack power is pretty high, but he goes down quickly under continued assault. Nick then leaves with Mayfair and a Teddy's Coat wearing Gyan.

Four beautiful women immediately show up and escort Nick and Gyan, but not Mayfair, to Kisaragi. Kisaragi offers sex, I mean THAT, to Nick and Gyan much to Mayfair's disgust. Nick is asked if he wants to try THAT and I answered yes. Gyan is then told to take off Kisaragi's kimono to see her REAL style. Gyan pulls on her belt and her kimono falls away to reveal a woman ready to battle. Her henchwomen then throw off their kiminos and battle is joined. After that I egressed to save and quit.

Edited: 02/18/2017 at 08:26 PM by JeremiahJT

Feb 16 at 4:37:00 PM
SUBSCRIBER
cirellio (47)
(Nintendo Sage) < Flicky >
Illinois
Great read so far, and you're about to reach my favorite game in the series  

Instagram
Wishlist

Feb 19 at 5:39:50 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
I tried the Kisaragi battle. At first it seemed pretty easy. In addition to Kisaragi, there are three Satsukis, two Mutsukis, and an Uzuki. The Uzuki is the magic user, the Mutsukis are strong fighters, and the Satsukis are even stronger fighters. Some of their attacks also act as the slow spell and decrease my defense. Nick starts off by himself, but there are no immediate threats to him either.

The present enemies are not too bad. I attacked all but Kisaragi and was taking them out when the trap was sprung. The two statues at the bottom come to life as Komainus and two Satsukis and two Mutsukis come flying out of the pond where they were hiding by breathing through the four reeds coming out of the pond. I then start attacking these newcomers and slowly start taking them out. Until some women fall out of the air, including a new enemy, Yayoi, who have pretty strong magic. This is where things went bad.

Overall two Yayois, two Matsukis, and a Satsuki come to attack. Nick was caught with only a couple of allies and too many enemies. They were able to take Nick out with magic.

I did find some more hidden items before I died. I found an antidote, a Quick Ring, a Running Ring, and a Murasana. Back at camp I realized I had not equipped the new weapons from the fight before or used the stat boosting items. So I boosted everything I could and equipped the superior weapons. Next time I will not be caught unaware.

Feb 20 at 11:37:50 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
I tried the Kisaragi fight again and was victorious this time, barely. I sent Nick up to try to take out an enemy who was by herself, but the enemies that fall from the sky showed up much quicker this time. I guess their appearance is controlled by where your characters move and not by time. Nick ran away back toward the rest of the group and barely made it back. I was able to take everybody out this time by keeping everybody, except for Nick, close to other fighters so they could overwhelm the enemies.

Kisaragi had two bodyguards with her, but I was able to draw both of them out and kill them. Kisaragi did come over and cast a Raijin spell that did pretty good damage against one group who was taking out one of her bodyguards, but it did not kill anybody. After the two bodyguards were killed I sent everything at Kisaragi. She managed to kill Stock with another spell, but they was the only scalp she got. After the fight she runs through a secret exit and Nick, Gyan, and Mayfair follow.

Before finishing the fight I found a Counter Sword, a Kamikaze Axe, a Murasame, and a Healing Seed. Nobody in my group can equip the Murasame or the Murasana. I do not have Higins in my group, or Amigo, so I do not know if those are made for him.

The next fight starts with Bulldor chastising some workers for not having finished building what they are working on. When he sees the party he knocks both of them into some paint which they knock over. He tells them to keep the group back and they quickly build walls in between Bulldor and the group while creating red and blue footprints everywhere. Before any fighting could start I egressed away to save and quit.

Feb 25 at 12:19:56 AM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
This time I was one and done with a fight. There are some new powerful enemies in this fight, but no additional enemies arrive during the fight. The Goblin Pupils went down easily and the Dark Paladins did not put up too much of a fight. The Arch Bishops have strong Aura level three spells, but neither of them used it effectively in this fight. The Metal Gunners do decent damage from afar and the Liches have level three Bolt which is very powerful. The King Chimeras of course spew breaths of flame and the White Dragons have that deadly icy breath.

A little ways into the fight Bulldor has his minions construct another wall which creates a choke point right in the middle of the map in front of Bulldor. There is a longer way around to the left though. There are more items hidden in this battle, but this time there are also visible chests and a couple of the monsters drop items. I got two Work Gloves and a Kaiser Knuckle for the monks. The Work Gloves are weaker than their Misty Knuckles that they started with. The Kaiser Knuckle is stronger, but it drops agility down to zero so I did not equip any of the new gloves. The Chirrup Hammer is also less than the Large Axe so I did not equip that either. The Chrome Lance is stronger than the Javelin so I equipped Eric with it. I also got a Power Ring that I gave to Slade. In addition to the weapons I picked up an Angel Wing, a Healing Rain, and a worthless hunk of Mithril.

As far as the fight goes I once again almost lost Nick thanks to a devastating icy breath from a White Dragon that did 35 damage. I was able to save him, but I did lose Apis and Chester. The enemies were retreating towards the top and I had moved Apis fairly close to them. I guess he was close enough that a few of them ceased their retreat to come attack and attack. Chester died because I let him get caught in a corner with a Dark Paladin and a White Dragon attacking him. I sent reinforcements to him and managed to kill the White Dragon, but before he could escape the Dark Paladin finished him off.

The fight with Bulldor was not difficult. His guards abandoned him to attack the Shining Force so I was able to surround him and quickly take him down. He does have good attack and defense power and gets plenty of attacks, but it was not even close to being enough.

After his defeat, Bulldor leads us into Dava's room after some smack talk. In the large room Dava confronts Nick, Gyan, and Mayfair with shadow versions of themselves and then asks how difficult the fight should be. I chose easy and she laughed at me. What a ...
Gyan and Mayfair defeat their shadows and then the Shining Force appears with shadow versions of each character in your group. At that point I left the battle to save. Next time I have to fight my shadow selves. I wonder if they are carbon copies or if there are differences.