Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Shining Force initiate begins a journey I am starting my play through of the Shining Force series for the Genesis and Sega CD!

Jun 9, 2016 at 8:12:02 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

(Jeremiah Thomas) < Tom-Tom >
Texas
I created a thread a while back about where to start the Shining Force games with the goal of starting over Spring Break.  My newborn decided that was a bad idea. My now 5 month old is okay with me playing some games when she is napping, which she does quite often, so now I start my quest. Here is a link to the thread: http://segaage.com/forum/messagev...

I was going to start with Shining Force like suggested, but I changed my mind and now will start with Shining in the Darkness.  There are a couple of reasons for this. First, I do not have Shining Force II yet, so this gives me a little bit more time to pick up a copy. Second, Shining in the Darkness came out first so gamers would have played it first back then and I want to experience it like that also.  After Shining in the Darkness I will play Shining Force, then Shining Force CD, and last Shining Force II.  As of right now I have no plans to play Shining Force games that came out on other systems.

This thread will be for me to give my thoughts and impressions on the games as I go through them.  I have never played even one second of a Shining Force game and have seen very little gameplay video.  This thread will contain spoilers when I get to something, but please keep the spoilage of anything I have yet to get to off this thread.  I am in an RPG mood right now, I just finished Earthbound for the Super Nintendo and I want to roleplay some more.  I have been wanting to play my Genesis/Sega CD lately so this series matches both my moods right now.

Normally I would not make a blog-like thread like this, but Gamer's Gauntlet is dead right now so I figured it could use some new content.  Hopefully some you will find my comments amusing/insightful/idiotic/whatever and feel compelled to play the games with me or at least join a discussion about them.  Anyway here I go.

Edited: 06/26/2016 at 02:13 PM by JeremiahJT

Jun 9, 2016 at 9:53:05 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
First step: read the Shining in the Darkness manual. Done. I gather from the manual that there is no overworld exploration. You just choose where you want to go and then you arrive. When you want to go in a building you just scroll through all the available places you can enter. I am not sure if the Labyrinth is the only area you explore and fight monsters, but the manual does not really explain that really well. I think all fighting will be in the Labyrinth. I will be starting my adventure here shortly. The manual did do a good job of getting me excited for the game.

Jun 10, 2016 at 10:33:48 AM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
I started my quest last night and the game is great so far. It does look like all action does take place in the Labyrinth. With only nine levels, I have to wonder if the game will be over too quickly, but I played for a little while last night and I am still on level one. I have not met up with my companions yet. I wonder if they will be found at the castle, in the tavern, or in the Labyrinth.

So far none of the shopkeepers have had any specials when I asked, but the weapons shop owner did give me a special buy as I was trying to exit. He offered me a morningstar for 350 gold pieces. I had 355 gold pieces so I went ahead and bought it. It added 4 attack points more than my just bought short sword. The morningstar does not show up anywhere in the manual. The shopkeeper mentions that they have more than just what they show and I guess this is what they are talking about. Since I am avoiding spoilers I am not going to look up a weapon list, but I am curious how many "special deals" there are and if they are worth the money.

As far as the gameplay itself, I really enjoy it. The 3-D dungeon exploration is like Phantasy Star or some early Dungeons & Dragons adventures. The battles are fast paced and so far over pretty quick. I am worried about getting lost and the wisdom pill or whatever it's called does not seem to be too helpful. There is a door on level one that I assume leads to level 2. I do not know if I find a key at the end of level 1 or if the King unlocks it after reaching a certain point.

I named my character Gord after the Gary Gygax creation.

Jun 10, 2016 at 11:11:16 AM
maelwys (112)
(Mike W) < Bio-Hazard Battler >
Pennsylvania
Nice! The Shining Force games are some of my favorites on the system. I've played through SF1 probably half a dozen times, but only Shining in the Darkness once. So, mission accomplished, now I want to play it again.  

Look forward to your impressions mate!

Jun 10, 2016 at 3:54:05 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
I finished searching all through the first level. I thought I had the map down all right, then I somehow ended up at the entrance when I did not mean to so I decided to map it out. It is a crude map, but it worked. Running into the Kaiserkrab the first time was cool even though he beat me like a rented mule. I got a little stronger and some better equipment and the next time we met I was victorious. Got the Royal Tiara from him and took it back to the castle to allow me to get my companions. Pyra was found at the tavern where I figured, but I found Milo at the Shrine.

Having your two companions helps out a lot. Pyra's Blaze spell is effective and even at the beginning when they are weak they are still helpful and once they get some levels they make the level one enemies a breeze. Speaking of the enemies, Man-Ape and Cave Slug are my favorites along with the menacing Kaiserkrab. I found two doors, what looks like a portal, and what I think is a trap door on level one. I tried the Dwarf's Key on the door at the end of the level and it did not open, so I guess the Dwarf's Key opens up the door near the entrance. The next time I play I will try to open up that door and presumably start the Trial of Strength.

Level one took some time, if all nine levels take that long then this game will take some time to beat. Plus the trials are probably outside of the levels. I might get back to it later today or tonight, but I can say so far it has exceeded my expectations.

Jun 11, 2016 at 12:56:03 AM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
So I learned I made some wrong assumptions. After opening of the bronze door with the Dwarf's Key, I was treated to a little bit more of level one. That was okay though, it was not too much and I had room on my map for the new area. I went downstairs into the Cave of Strength and was treated to another expansive level. I found a couple of pitfalls to the second underground level, along with stairs to the second level also. I am curious if I will ever have to use the pitfalls instead of the stairs to get to certain areas of lower floors. After getting to another portal looking thing, it changed and became a bas-relief that told me I passed the trial of strength. Whoopee! After being transported back to the first level, a previously solid wall was destroyed revealing more of level one. A lot more. More than my home made map could take. So now I have to either get some graphing paper or cheat with some online maps. What a conundrum.

Level one is huge. HUGE. I laugh at myself for thinking (and typing) that I had finished level one earlier. If every level is this size then I have no idea how anybody has ever finished this game. At this point most of the stuff I am buying from the shops is from the deals section so the weapon and armor list in the manual is just about worthless now. Really wish they would have put all of the equipables in the charts. I am off to a family reunion tomorrow so I will not have a chance to progress, but I should be back at it on Sunday.

Edit-It's cool how you come across Gila in the Labyrinth and he joins your party.  He doesn't fight all that much, but when he does his attacks are always deadly.  He really helped out when I ran into a large group of Death Guides who kept using their sleep powder effectively. Also, Chestbeaks are pretty tough. I never died on one, but a couple of them came close to killing me.

Edited: 06/11/2016 at 01:02 AM by JeremiahJT

Jun 11, 2016 at 7:31:38 PM
Philosoraptor (50)
< Sketch Turner >
Texas
Glad to hear you're enjoying Shining in the Darkness! Makes me want to go back and play it.  

Jun 14, 2016 at 9:15:09 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
I have decided to buy some graph paper to make my dungeon maps. I have only done two maps so far, but it looks like the map is wider than it is deep. So I am planning on mapping in landscape mode so hopefully that works out for the best. Now a question, what is the total number of squares in a Shining in the Darkness dungeon map? I want to start the map in the correct place. I believe I can use the View spell or the Wisdom Seed to get my coordinates and just count the necessary blocks away from the edge.

Since I found Gila in the Labyrinth I assume I am also going to find Dai (I think that's his name) down there somewhere too. I wonder if I will bring him back to his sister (I think that was his sister in the tavern) or be the bearer of bad news and tell her that Dai died in the dungeon. I have been busy since getting back from my family reunion, but hopefully I can get some play time in tomorrow.

Jun 17, 2016 at 7:34:09 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
Finally was able to get back to it today. I went back to the first floor and to the Cave of Strength to finish finding all the treasure chests and to finish mapping them. So as of now the first floor above ground and the first floor below ground have been completely explored and mapped. Of course I now know that can change. At the castle I was told the Trial of Courage is next, so that should be the second level below ground. I wonder if all the below ground levels are the trials and when I complete them I am given the key to open the door that leads upstairs.

My characters have no more need to buy any regular armor, regular shields, or regular weapons from the weapons shop. I still have plenty of helmets I could get. So now will be relying on the deals that the shop keepers offer me. The Main Gauche and the Madu are still available from the armorer, so I could still buy those if the weapons shop does not offer me anything reasonable. Some of those deals they offer are down right expensive. I am sure as I get later on in the game I will have plenty of gold pieces to buy the stuff, but right now some of that stuff is way out of reach.

When next I play I will head down to the second underground level. I think I might fall down those pitfalls and use the View spell to find out where they are at and the use the Angel Feather to get out and start at the stairs from the Cave of Strength. They may lead to a normal part of the level or they could lead to a hidden part of it.

I have been wondering about the puddles since I started and at first I thought they were some marker to let you know that the area beyond it had stronger enemies. Of course that guess was not correct and I have now run into Killwaves popping up out of the puddles. I think that is pretty cool, but I am not sure if the puddles serve any other purpose besides that.

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:23:31 AM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
I went down the stairs leading to the second underground level and explored the entire area in under 5 minutes. Apparently those stairs are just for coming back up if you drop down one of the two pitfalls. Now I have to wonder what lays beyond the pitfall that you cannot get to the other side of. So I consulted my map and saw another set of stairs I had forgotten about, so I went down those and entered the Cave of Courage. I searched all through that level and came upon another set of stairs leading down. After going down I quickly came to a room with two doors leading out of it. I chose one randomly and attacked the maze. The very large maze with many branching paths. The Cave of Courage took me quite a while to get through. I found the portal/bas-releif thing, but decided to keep exploring. And exploring. And exploring. This was a long level. I eventually came to another door and I couldn't believe it. This level was already huge and here I am at another door. I went through and thank the gods it was the second door from the beginning of the floor. So I went back to portal thing and touched and I passed the Trial of Courage.

During the trial I kept walking over these weird things on the ground that made the screen go a little a crazy. I had seen them before, but I did not know what they did. After going over a bunch of them I noticed my MP was gone. Then I remembered somebody in the castle mentioning how the Trial of Courage also tested your magic ability. So that stuff on the floor drains MPs. Great. Unfortunately if you are going to map out everything you have to go over a ton of that stuff. Milo and Pyra were out of MPs, I had run out of Herbs and Healer Fruit, and Gord and Milo were paralyzed on my way back to the portal. I ran into a Cyblock right before I got to the portal and I thought I was dead. I was able to run away and then run to the portal. I also had a Smelling Salts that I forgot about that I could have used.

After getting back to the castle I was told the Trial of Truth is next, but the only way to find the hidden entrance in the northeast was to obtain the Orb of Truth, what Gila was looking for, from the Cave of Courage. I went over every square inch of the Cave of Courage and there was no Orb of Truth to be found. My guess is that it only shows up after passing the trial, because I am 99% sure I did not miss anything. I also loaded up on new equipment. Pyra got a Magic Hood, Gord got an Iron Helm, and Milo got a Main Gauche, which is used as a shield. I guess the Main Gauche, and most likely the Madu are secondary weapons that increase your attack power and your defensive power, but not as much as the bronze shield. I decided to go ahead and keep the Main Gauche since Milo already has the Bronze Armor so he has plenty of defense already for this stage in the game.

So my next step is to go back to the Cave of Courage and find the Orb of Truth. Once I have that in my possession, I will go to the northeast of the first level and try to find the hidden entrance to the Cave of Truth. I wonder if Gila will make another appearance once I get the object he was searching for.

Edited: 06/19/2016 at 02:05 AM by JeremiahJT

Jun 20, 2016 at 4:42:05 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
I had gone over every square inch of the Cave of Courage, I had just forgot about the staircase. I usually do not go down (or up) staircases until after I am completely through with the current floor. In the Cave of Courage I had found the staircase right off the bat and then forgot about it as I made my way through the rest of the cave. After I rediscovered the stairs (my map is not the easiest to read either) I thought there might be a guardian for the Orb of Truth so I went back to town to rest up. After getting back to the Labyrinth, I made a beeline to the stairs and started exploring them when I came upon a giant boulder rolling down a hall. I figured this was it and followed it. After coming upon the boulder, it cracks and legs starting popping out and then a head. The Tortolyde looked quite imposing, unfortunately it did not fight like it. Its attacks only took off 1 HP. It could use the Heal spell, but it was not enough. It went down easily and I claimed the Orb of Truth. I love the Tortalyde's look, I just wish it was more powerful.

With the Orb of Truth in hand, I found a weird spot on a wall and used the Orb to make a Grimwall appear. The fight was easy as well, but the animation when it appears was really cool. This fight was a tad been more difficult than the Tortalyde. I mapped the newest new area of level one and found the staircase leading down into the Cave of Truth. I have not made it far into the Cave of Truth, but those rotating discs are annoying and the Ghosts, while really cool looking, are deadly with the Desoul spell. Next time I play I should be able to complete the Trial of Truth.

I have not run into Gila yet, but Lupo in the Tavern mentioned the Orb of Truth revealing monsters in walls, which it did, and the treasures behind those monsters. When Lupo mentioned treasures, Gatt said something different finally. I wonder if the belligerent drunk will ever do anything. I bought the Thornwhip for Pyra, not realizing it let her make multiple attacks each turn. I was confused when I defeated more than three enemies without any of them running away. I finally figured it out and it has made me change my attack strategies up a little bit. Next I will buy the Longspear for Milo or Gord. Milo and Gord both have a Madu now. The Madu offers more defensive help than the Bronze Shield anyway, plus it helps their offense.

I have put quite a few hours into this one so far and I am still not into the Labyrinth proper yet. I really wonder how big the actual Labyrinth will be. One thing I wonder about, Tristan is in charge of the Kingdom's Knights, what is Vyrun's position? He has men under his command since he ordered them to attempt the trials, I just do not understand how Vyrun and Tristan complement each other.

Jun 20, 2016 at 4:53:40 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
In the game Milo has a spell called Screen. Is this the Dispel spell from the manual?

Jun 21, 2016 at 10:45:39 AM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
I passed the Trial of Truth last night. I made it all the way through on my second attempt at the Cave, but barely. I got to the first bas-relief wall without mapping/finding everything yet. So I went back and made sure every nook and cranny was checked and all treasure chests had been opened. When I finally did go through the portal thing I was surprised that more cave lay beyond. As I made my way through I found a woman who said her name was Jessa locked in a cell. I really could not remember if Jessa was the name of the princess, so I was not sure if it was a random woman, the princess, or a trap. I already had the False Idol, but I wanted to finish mapping the level first. I mapped everything until the second portal, but I was out of MPs and healing items and low on HPs also. I decided to go back and release Jessa. I made it all the way back to the cell, but barely. Those Sea Stallions can do major damage. I opened the cell by placing the False Idol in the nook and went to rescue Jessa. She proceeded to laugh at me and then turn into a giant monster called Doppler. I was sure I was dead. Its first attack killed Gord. Fortunately, earlier in the Cave of Truth I killed a Cyblok that left a Fire Staff behind. Two attacks from the Fire Staff and an awesome blow from Milo sent Doppler to the great beyond and I recovered the Rune Key. I then made a mad dash to the portal with only two characters, both barely alive. I made it and passed the Trial of Truth. An Angel Feather got me back to town to rest and recuperate.

In the Tavern Lupo mentioned the Rune Key opening a stone door, I think. Both Lupo and somebody in the King's audience chamber mentioned the Rune Key. I think I have to go to the door on the first level that was right past a statue. That should be where the Cave of Wisdom, and my last trial await. I had a ton of gold, so I bought everything available except for the Miracle Herb priced at 8000 gold pieces. I do not know what it does, probably heal the entire party, but it is expensive. I bought Gord the Long Spear, but then I was offered a Long Sword. Since Gord is the only one that can equip the Long Sword, he took it and I gave the Long Spear to Milo. At the moment, both Gord and Milo have the Bronze Armor and the Armor Shop is trying to sell me a third one. Obviously I do not need it, but it is annoying they are not offering something I could use. Pyra still has the Hemp Robe as her armor and I am sure there are better options for her.

I was excited when the Cyblok dropped the Fire Staff, it is by far the best enemy drop so far. I was not expecting to have to need it so soon after getting it though. Milo's Vision Spell mentioned that it has limited uses and after the second use it was crackling with energy or something. I wonder if that means it is almost done.

I was looking at maps online, just for places I had already been, and saw that those things I thought were trap doors are actually pools. I thought maybe they are some kind of recuperative pool, but I do not know for sure or even when I should be able to utilize them.

Next stop is the Cave of Wisdom. Maybe I will run into Dai there, although I do not know how he would have got there without a Rune Key. I am sure I will save Jessa at the end of the game, but maybe my father Mortred can be saved before then. I guess I will see.

Edited: 06/21/2016 at 11:31 PM by JeremiahJT

Jun 22, 2016 at 6:31:10 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
Finally completed the Trial of Wisdom. It took three or four different attempts for me to get through the Cave of Wisdom. I found Dai cowering in a corner like I figured I would. He joined my party like Gila did, but he was not near as helpful as Gila. Dai might actually be stronger since I was fighting much tougher enemies, but he would take 10-15 hit points off of a monster while Gila would take off over 50. I took Dai back to the Tavern where Dyan was very grateful to get her brother back. Edward said he owed me one, but I do not know if he will ever get a chance to pay up.

The King has given me access to the Labyrinth Proper finally. Somebody said there were five levels above ground. I guess that includes the first level I have been exploring. If so that means four more levels to go. If they are all as big as the Caves then I still have quite a bit of game left. Melvyl split, so I wonder if he works for Dark Sol or is even Dark Sol himself.

The Trader has become available to me. Unfortunately when I was looking up something I had already done I saw that you could craft equipment so I knew somebody who could make things would show up in that red tent. He also sells plenty of high end regular merchandise. I had him fix Pyra's Fire Staff and he said it would have been unfixable with one more use. Right now I have two things of Mithril Ore and one Dark Block. I have no idea what is the best way to use these or how much of these materials are available. Or if there is another material besides these two. I think I might cheat and look at the materials and what they make so I can get the best stuff. I have done a good job of playing without any internet help so far, but I really do not want to waste something. I am not sure yet though.

I also saw Pyra's mother and Milo's father in the Tavern. Pyra was about to get a spanking when I said I needed her. I wonder if I could have lost her if I said no.

So the next step is crafting and/or buying new equipment and then off to explore the Labyrinth Proper. One of the King's men made it sound like it was through that dormant portal near where I first fought the Kaiserkrab.

Jun 23, 2016 at 1:55:33 AM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
The second level of the upper Labyrinth went much quicker than the Cave of Wisdom. It did not seem to have near the amount of dead ends. I liked how you went through the door to the outside and came in at another part of the level. Now there are gold "pools" in the Labyrinth. I now know those are fountains that you can teleport to thanks to Xern giving me a split-in-half Medallion. Speaking of Xern, he informed my that Melvyl is in fact Dark Sol. Sentinel statues now come to life and fight. I guess that first one on the first floor is just to get the player complacent. Some of the enemies now really start packing a punch. I really need to upgrade Gord's defenses. I found the Sun Armor, which is nice, and I bought the Magic Shield so he should be better prepared when next I go in.

Melvyl was waiting for me in the Tavern. It was a nice little animation of him turning into Dark Sol and talking to me. I like how the game did not even give you the opportunity to say yes to his offer.

I found another Fire Staff in a treasure chest and I sold it to the Alkemist. I like how you can sell stuff and then the shopkeepers put it in their special deals so you can buy it later if you need it. This time I sold it to the wrong person and the Fire Staff still ended up in the correct shop under special deals so I can buy it if my current one goes kaput.

I did cheat and look at the crafting information. I guess I am glad I did so now I do not wast my time with the Dark Block. So far I have three pieces of Mithril Ore. The first one I used to make Milo's armor, which ended up being a Light Robe. I saw from my cheating that he can wear the Mithril Armor, so I used my next one to make Gord's armor and then gave it to Milo. I gave the Light Robe to Pyra, but I am not sure how good it is. The Magic Mail actually gives her more defense power, but maybe the Light Robe does something else I do not know about. The third piece got turned into a Mithril Shield for Milo. So Milo now has two Mithril items on him.

Now that I know the gold fountains are used with an item, I am going to try to figure out if there is an item to use with the blue fountains. There has to be something and I just have not figured it out yet.

Next time it is onto level three to see what new threats await me.

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:26:39 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
Level three was so much harder than level two. I died quite a few times, losing half my gold each time. The Head Hunters on level two were tough, but the Soul Thief made them look easy. I had to fight a Soul Thief all but one time when I had to go to the other part of level of three. The first time my entire party was wiped out by one, so I started making sure I was at full HPs before I got to the pitfall. Luckily I only once ran into a Soul Thief at the other holes in the rest of the level. I do like how they both came swinging down from a rope to fight you though.

The Shellbeast was no pushover like the Tortolyde. The first time I fought it, it wiped me out with the Fire Breath or whatever it does. The second time I was better prepared and defeated it. The Blackbone whipped me twice before I was able to beat him. He was extremely tough and I loved how he crawled out of the ground.

The Mystic Rope opened a whole new technique for me. I immediately went back to the Cave of Strength and got past that pitfall that blocked my path earlier and found a piece of Mithril Ore. Unfortunately dying four or five times means I did not have the money to get Milo the Mithril Axe. Most of the time I would just use the rope on level three to make the map more complete when I tackle level four, but then I realized those areas are probably only accessible from the pitfalls on level three so I will need to go back to all of those and explore them.

For the life of me, I could not figure out what the Herb Water and Holy Water did. I used them outside of battle and during battle to no avail. Finally I just had to look them up. The Herb Water revives fallen allies. I guess from death. And the Holy Water removes curses. I wish I would not have used them so much trying to figure out what they did if they do in fact have a finite number of uses.

Next step is to visit the Castle again and then head back up to level three to explore those areas that the Mystic Rope is needed to get to. Unfortunately I have already moved my the Medallion to the gold fountain at the end of level three so I will need to go through level two. I guess that is a good thing since I decided to look and see if there are any areas to use the Mystic Rope on level two. There is one so I will go check that out also.

Only two levels to go. I still think I might run into Mortred before the final battle.

Jun 24, 2016 at 6:22:41 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
NOOOO! Melvyl turned my father, Sir Mortred. against the Kingdom. I was shocked when Princess Jessa said that Mortred was working for Dark Sol. I was expecting to save my father and then have a nice father/son reunion. When the Dark Knight first started talking and then came stomping down the corridor I knew if was Mortred. Then after dealing your father a mortal blow, he thanks you for releasing him before he dies. Lord Melvyl will pay for this. I will not stop until my boot heel is resting on his neck.

After taking Princess Jessa back to the castle, I talked to the King's retainers. Theos said that a wizard from long ago wielded the same power as Dark Sol, but he was defeated by the Shining Knight. He only mentions the Shining Knight one time, after that he just talks about the ancient wizard. Is the Shining Knight the character you play in Shining Force? It would be cool if it was.

After getting the Cell Key I went back through all of the levels and retrieved all the treasures hidden behind locked cell doors. I now have three of the four Arms of Light. I still need the Armor. I read about using the Doom Staff to get enemies to give you their treasure. So I went and found were Brickeyes hung out and got two more pieces of Mithril Ore. Milo now has the Mithril Axe, Mithril Armor, Mithril Shield, and Mithril Helm. Pyra has the Mithril Rod, Light Robe, Mithril Shield, and Mithril Hood.

Level four was not so bad to get through. There was only one hole in the ceiling to go through. I did get killed by my first encounter by a group of Deathpaws, but I made it to the treasure on my second attempt. I have moved the other half of the medallion to the gold fountain at the end of level four.

Edward finally had something helpful to say. He told me about the Water Spirit and what I needed to have so it would talk to me. I wonder of those blue pools will have a function after I talk to the Water Spirit.

I am excited to be close to the end. I really want to crush Dark Sol for what he did to Mortred. I will probably play some later tonight. I do not know how long it will take to get through level five or if I will have to level grind to stand a chance against Dark Sol, but maybe I will have time. My characters are at levels 50, 47, and 48.

Jun 25, 2016 at 12:23:16 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
Mortred the Brave has been avenged! The battle was not too bad. The first time I got to him he wiped me out. That was due to me not realizing the battle would immediately start as soon as I went through the Altar (I now know those portal like things are Altars). Even going in unprepared and having spent a lot of time exploring first, I killed his first form and did plenty of damage to his second form. When I fought him the first time I had not got the Vial of Tears and found the Water Spirit. I thought I would find the Vial in the Labyrinth and then take it to Princess Jessa instead of just talking to her and Theos having the Vial on hand. So the second time I fought him I had gone to the Water Spirit first and received a blessing on the Arms of Light. I have no idea if that actually did anything, but I did kill him after that. I honestly do not think the blessing is necessary to defeat him.

My preparation for the fight included making sure everybody was at max health and using the Magic Rings to get Milo and Pyra close to their max Magic Power. During the fight, Dark Sol got some of my characters down below 100 HPs, but he did not manage to kill any of them. I really never felt like I was in danger of losing. The first form was kind of easy. While his transformation to the second form was cool looking, it did not make him that much stronger. After avenging Mortred I went back to the village and talked to everybody. The Trader was not there for some reason. Then I went to the castle and received my just rewards. The ending was okay, nothing great, but it was not bad.

The fifth level was pretty tough at first. A lot of long corridors and tough monsters. Fortunately the monsters on the fifth floor give a ton of experience points and you level up really quick. Once everybody got up into the mid-50s, the fifth level was not that tough. The first time I ran into a group of Crystal Oozes I was unprepared. They managed to kill Gord with Muddle and all but one ran away. I did manage to kill one for 30,000 experience points which was nice. The Ramiuns are probably the hardest regular monster to fight. Of course Guardians and Syrens are also tough, but you only have to fight them one at a time.

Overall I think the game was great. Definitely in the A range and I would recommend it to anybody looking for an RPG or especially a dungeon crawler. I had just played through Earthbound right before this and I think Shining in the Darkness is the better game. It was an excellent start to the series.

I will be starting Shining Force next. My first step is to find a scan or something of the manual online and read through it before starting play. If anybody is thinking about starting one of these up, give it a go and post your (non-spoiler if you are further than me) thoughts here.

Jun 26, 2016 at 2:11:04 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
Sega Age has a scan of the Shining Force manual, so that worked out. I knew Shining Force was going to be different than Shining in the Darkness, but the manual really drove that point home. In the manual it states you should write down each character's status and check on periodically. I am not sure what it means by that, but I am sure I will figure it out. It also says you can have up to 12 characters in your party, that is a giant party.

I guess everybody should be promoted. The manual says do not do everybody at the same time, but everyone should get a promotion.

Now that I have gone through the manual, I can go ahead and start the game. Hopefully the battery works. When I played Shining in the Darkness there was one save already on the cartridge. One time I was not paying attention and I picked that one to continue and the game said the save had been lost. I did not realize I picked the wrong one and I thought my game was lost. Fortunately that only lasted a couple of seconds before I saw that my game was still on there.

Jun 26, 2016 at 5:18:01 PM
dballin (22)
(Dave Balls) < Dr. Robotnik >
Rhode Island
I'm just glad somebody actually uses those scans.

Jun 26, 2016 at 5:54:53 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
Originally posted by: dballin

I'm just glad somebody actually uses those scans.

Are you the one that scanned them in?

Jun 26, 2016 at 6:23:44 PM
dballin (22)
Rhode Island
With the exception of game gear most of the scans in the db are mine. Shining Force is one of them. As you can imagine they take a while to do so its nice to hear that they were useful. Sadly I dont own shining force 2 or cd so no helpful resource there.

Jun 27, 2016 at 3:40:31 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
Originally posted by: dballin

With the exception of game gear most of the scans in the db are mine. Shining Force is one of them. As you can imagine they take a while to do so its nice to hear that they were useful. Sadly I dont own shining force 2 or cd so no helpful resource there.

Thank you for putting that manual up, I definitely used it.  I have the manual for Shining Force CD already, but I do not have Shining Force II yet.  I may get the manual when I buy the game, but I am fine with cartridge only so I may have to find a scan online of that one.

Jun 27, 2016 at 5:46:26 PM
dballin (22)
Rhode Island
http://www.ratigators.com/ui.asp?...

I can't link it directly, but one of the Genesis manuals that are actually up on Ratigators is Shining Force II. This site is a much better resource for SMS, SCD, Saturn, and Dreamcast scans, but you're in luck!

Jun 27, 2016 at 10:58:33 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

Texas
I have never heard of Ratigators before, thanks for the link.

I did start Shining Force today and made it through the first three fights. Although it took three tries to beat the third fight. I only lost two people, unfortunately both those people were my main character forcing me to start the fight over. The fight was not super tough, the enemy just had a knack for getting to and killing my main character.

On to my initial thoughts. I have never played a game like this before. I had not had a lot of experience with dungeon crawlers, but I had some. This is completely new to me. Individual character movement and action according to their stats and class. This is tabletop gaming come to life. So far I am really enjoying it. The weapons procurement is a little problematic though. I have so many characters it is hard to figure out who I need to buy for. I may have to keep a cheat sheet or a page open on my phone to keep up with everything.

So far my group is well rounded with only having one class doubled up (Knight). I like the good amount of front line fighters I have with only three characters so far needing to stay off the front line. The fight scene is cool, but I hate how much I miss right now.

My teacher Varios died quickly along witth the king. For being a great warrior, Varios did not put up much of a fight, nor the soldiers he trained.

I named my character Erdrick after the NES Dragon Warrior character.

Right now I am at the second castle trying to figure out how to get to the secret passage into the castle proper. So far I have had no luck.