Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Win FREE S*#IT!!!!!! #7 THE WINNER IS JREDMOND3!

May 5, 2013 at 8:26:37 PM
Podmax (37)
(M J) < Dr. Robotnik >
Texas
WFS Hall of Fame: 
  • WFS#1: FinnsEdge / Virtua Racing / 3:18:71
  • WFS#2: dra600n / Streets of Rage 2 / 593,350 Round 6 Axel
  • WFS#3: SpaceFlea / Crüe Ball / 38,665,800
  • WFS#4: Bronzeshield / Gain Ground / 203,320
  • WFS#5: SpaceFlea / Super Smash T.V. / 7,002,630
  • WFS#6: maelwys / Rambo III / 268,000

So begins the 7th WFS! Thread.

This weeks game is going to be: Shinobi III

The Rules: 
To enter into the contest you must provide a picture of your score. Emulation is ok. The picture must be like so: (MUST INCLUDE A PICTURE OF YOUR USER NAME)

• Expert Setting
  • Shurikans set to 0
  • No continues used
  • Highest score wins
  • Must Include Your User ID in the Picture
  • NO CHEATING
  • You can enter as many times as youd like
Here is what you win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Donated by dcdan 

Winner gets their choice of Repro-cart:

Street fighter II beta version
Gleylancer
Shadow in sonic 1

Contest ends 5/12 @ 11:59 pm NA time

-------------------------
"When in this state of mind, the controller becomes held like the last rung of a ladder that mid-90's Bruce Willis is hanging onto for dear life above a paper mache replica of the New York City skyline covered in cement, broken glass, and Lego pieces." ~ Galacticlint

Edited: 05/13/2013 at 04:29 PM by Podmax

May 5, 2013 at 8:33:52 PM
Podmax (37)
(M J) < Dr. Robotnik >
Texas
Also if anyone is interested in doing art that will be featured on the front page for WFS pm me

"When in this state of mind, the controller becomes held like the last rung of a ladder that mid-90's Bruce Willis is hanging onto for dear life above a paper mache replica of the New York City skyline covered in cement, broken glass, and Lego pieces." ~ Galacticlint

May 5, 2013 at 9:10:47 PM
nieds16 (38)
(Ty Nieds) < Funklord >
United States
Awesome prizes. I don't have this game with me either, but I royally suck at it anyway. Thanks for the donations dcdan.

May 5, 2013 at 10:48:06 PM
GibbyVA (32)

(NESCAPADES ) < Tom-Tom >
Virginia
Shinobi games pretty much hit me with a nut-punch followed by a brass knuckled uppercut but I'm ready for a good beatdown... Count my arse in! Thanks for running another contest and very cool donated prizes.

8-Bit Collection (no dupes) -  NES - 1,245 Famicom - 719  Master System - 255
Latest additions - AO, UXO, O-To-X, Rock Paper Scissors, Enigmacore, Cowlitz Gamers Adventure, Journey: The Game, Khan Games 4in1, Legends of Owlia

May 5, 2013 at 11:10:59 PM
JRedmond3 (44)

(Justin Redmond) < Sketch Turner >
Tennessee
I suck at Shinobi but I'll give it a go

May 6, 2013 at 6:25:34 AM
galacticlint (99)
< Dr. Robotnik >
United States
I like the restrictions, without them this game is relatively easy.
*opens up the can, smells contents, raises eyebrow*
Hrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmm.....

May 6, 2013 at 8:45:48 AM
xtremegamer (188)
(Lenny Laserdisc) < Neff >
Missouri
Awesome prizes! Real nice of dcdan to donate them. I will have to give this a wack before contest end.

Paaaaper!  Have you ever seen paper?  Look at it, smell it!

May 6, 2013 at 9:44:08 AM
JRedmond3 (44)

Tennessee
What constitutes cheating exactly?

May 6, 2013 at 9:58:51 AM
maelwys (112)
(Mike W) < Bio-Hazard Battler >
Pennsylvania
If you have to ask if it's cheating, it probably is.

Also, be aware that there's a countdown timer shortly after the game is over so have your camera ready to take the shot. You have about 20 seconds.

May 6, 2013 at 10:03:12 AM
galacticlint (99)
< Dr. Robotnik >
United States

Originally posted by: JRedmond3
Originally posted by: maelwys
Let's see here.. not playing by the rules stated in the OP? Using a Game Genie? Save states on emulator?

If your heart is as black as soot and you are a soulless bastard, feel free to go watch playthroughs, read FAQ's, and farm points somewhere.

I would recommend not doing any of those things though, since this is more about the process than the prize. But if you just want free shit and don't give a rat's ass, do whatever you want - as long as you follow the main rules.

I'm still puzzling over what exactly a "Shinobi Bonus" is at the end level screen.
I could go look it up, but then I'd feel like a fraud.
Haven't even read the instruction book in my copy's case... That will be the apogee of my study for this thread, if I even bother.

Also, be aware that there's a countdown timer shortly after the game is over so have your camera ready to take the shot. You have about 20 seconds.
Not if you move the cursor, my dear.

Edited: 05/06/2013 at 10:06 AM by galacticlint

May 6, 2013 at 10:43:03 AM
flatuswalrus (54)
(Mr. Dane) < Dr. Zan >
Queensland
Awesome work by MJ and dcdan. I am glad there is interest in these as they are lot's of fun and get you playin' games!

May 6, 2013 at 11:44:38 AM
Podmax (37)
(M J) < Dr. Robotnik >
Texas
Originally posted by: galacticlint

Let's see here.. not playing by the rules stated in the OP? Using a Game Genie? Save states on emulator?

If your heart is as black as soot and you are a soulless bastard, feel free to go watch playthroughs, read FAQ's, and farm points somewhere.

I would recommend not doing any of those things though, since this is more about the process than the prize. But if you just want free shit and don't give a rat's ass, do whatever you want - as long as you follow the main rules.

I'm still puzzling over what exactly a "Shinobi Bonus" is at the end level screen.
Haven't even read the instruction book in my copy's case... That will be the apogee of my study for this thread, if I even bother.

Damn galacticlint, you answered all the questions presented. I am nothing but a redundancy at this point! Im USELESS!!!!!!!! 

@JRedmond3: Follow the rules, no savestates, no gamegenie or cheat codes.

@Galacticlint: I had to amp up the difficulty otherwise you could just fly through the game, though if you make it to the end boss he is pretty brutal on expert. The Shinobi Bonus is when you complete a level using only your blade, LIKE A BEAST!

@Maelwys: galacticlint is correct. Once the countdown starts, just move the cursor and itll go away.

May 6, 2013 at 12:29:55 PM
maelwys (112)
(Mike W) < Bio-Hazard Battler >
Pennsylvania

Well hot damn! I done learned somethin' today. A tip of my hat to you sir!

May 6, 2013 at 12:40:49 PM
Podmax (37)
(M J) < Dr. Robotnik >
Texas

Well hot damn! I done learned somethin' today. A tip of my hat to you sir!

May 6, 2013 at 3:40:28 PM
GibbyVA (32)

(NESCAPADES ) < Tom-Tom >
Virginia

Behold! the "Shinobi Bonus"

8-Bit Collection (no dupes) -  NES - 1,245 Famicom - 719  Master System - 255
Latest additions - AO, UXO, O-To-X, Rock Paper Scissors, Enigmacore, Cowlitz Gamers Adventure, Journey: The Game, Khan Games 4in1, Legends of Owlia

Edited: 05/06/2013 at 03:41 PM by GibbyVA

May 6, 2013 at 5:27:09 PM
galacticlint (99)
< Dr. Robotnik >
United States
^That lady has a pretty statuesque profile, is she that D'Angelo chick?
Man back in the day she gave me some mad wood.

Also-

Hehe.

Edited: 05/06/2013 at 05:35 PM by galacticlint

May 6, 2013 at 6:53:05 PM
dcdan (29)
(D W) < Dr. Robotnik >
Missouri
NP guys I'm actually really stoked to see who wins this as I too have the shinobi curse as I'm fairly poor at the trilogy! I'll give it a few go's just to keep that competition stiff! I mean...Shinobi bouns!

May 6, 2013 at 8:20:07 PM
JRedmond3 (44)

Tennessee
Damn, I missed out on the Streets of Rage 2 contest, that's one of the few games I'm good at. I probably could have maxed out on the score if I took my weighted clothing off. Shinobi 3 isn't actually as difficult as I originally thought it was. The levels that are a pain are the Falling Rocks stages where you have to jump from one to another (damn bat guys), and then the Maze with the insta-kill spiked pillars. I beat those on my first try on one of my first playthroughs and then got demolished the 2nd time around.

I do suck at Revenge of Shinobi though, I remember renting the 6-Pack as a kid and never really getting too far beyond the first boss. I think the main reason that one is such a pain is because the double jump is so weird. 3 can sort of be like that, there isn't a huge window to do the move in. I was playing Nightmare Circus recently though and I think that helped since that game has some extremely finicky moves that require exact timing with no window whatsoever.

"If your heart is as black as soot and you are a soulless bastard, feel free to go watch playthroughs, read FAQ's, and farm points somewhere."

Challenge accepted!

Edited: 05/06/2013 at 08:20 PM by JRedmond3

May 6, 2013 at 8:45:17 PM
galacticlint (99)
< Dr. Robotnik >
United States
"If your heart is as black as soot and you are a soulless bastard, feel free to go watch playthroughs, read FAQ's, and farm points somewhere."

Challenge accepted!
^Yeah, that totally wasn't a challenge... how the?
I don't even... OK.

Good luck with that.

Anyhow, I just spent like three hours getting this score since I had to relearn through trial and error just what in the fuck I was doing at every little tricky part and boss.

There was one part I got a couple death-outs trying to go -backward- on a hanging conveyer belt part that probably led to some sort of secret powerup when I kept stubbornly going there thinking it was the way out of the level.

Also keep getting raped pretty hard by that big-ass "Monster Head" boss quite badly; can't seem to avoid his little brain matter toss and I get hit with the energy beam ducking but it seems like it lasts too long to jump over? I have to practice on that bastard, that's for sure.

Edited: 05/06/2013 at 08:56 PM by galacticlint

May 6, 2013 at 9:09:44 PM
dcdan (29)
(D W) < Dr. Robotnik >
Missouri
Well I keep getting killed by the flying brain like thing as it's going to be tough to break the curse of the shinobu.

Edited: 05/06/2013 at 09:11 PM by dcdan

May 6, 2013 at 9:37:38 PM
Podmax (37)
(M J) < Dr. Robotnik >
Texas
im uploading my latest run at the game. I made quite a few mistakes but oh well Also I passed over 2-3 extra lives, dont want to give it all away

Edited: 05/07/2013 at 12:48 AM by Podmax

May 7, 2013 at 12:18:38 AM
JRedmond3 (44)

Tennessee
DO YOUR WORST!

No, really, do your worst so I can win this.

May 7, 2013 at 12:48:29 AM
Podmax (37)
(M J) < Dr. Robotnik >
Texas
Video is HERE:

May 7, 2013 at 3:40:30 AM
galacticlint (99)
< Dr. Robotnik >
United States
Nice play... criminey!
You just confirmed that I do in fact need a change of controllers, as playing with the ninja-force necessary to do such feats would eventually murder my fingers on the harsh button angles and firm d-pad of the Great Owl.

I was so proud of myself for figuring out how to slash through those first armored dudes, bu it looks like that's common knowledge to the wise. Sometimes you get hit jump kicking them and who can just stand there and toss a beanbag into their mouth?

This thread's gonna get CRAZY with Cholky posting such things this early, I can't even bring myself to watch past the first level. All our hands shall become gangrenous and bruised!

DO YOUR WORST!
LOVE IS A BATTLEFIELD!!
*lame side-to-side w/ dual finger snap and head flail 80's dance*

I have a feeling this is one of those games where you will hit a plateau, then sleep on it.
In your dream state you will astrally project to the Style Points kingdom where each revolution of the moon you will wake up with Ninja Learn enhanced and a refreshed set of skills or a bigger "luck toolbox."

This game is really pleasing me with the fact that with points in mind, it really matters how Ninja-like you play just as much as how far you go.

When you're run ragged the producers throw you a bone like the fun little horsey and jet-ski levels which are little else than a refreshing break from timing double jumps and worrying about holes in the ground with cool music.

Shinobi III is a grand game indeed!

May 7, 2013 at 4:51:40 PM
Podmax (37)
(M J) < Dr. Robotnik >
Texas
Im gonna try and get another go in later tonight