Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

U.S. NTSC Sega CD Collectors Guide always a work in progress!

Mar 08 at 7:38:57 PM
dballin (22)
(Dave Balls) < Dr. Robotnik >
Rhode Island
My disc actually matches the one shown here: http://segaage.com/index.cfm?Fuse...

It's the slip cover that's different and looks like this: http://nintendoagemedia.com/eleme... The back seems to be identical for both.

I don't have a manual with this copy so I can't tell you if there's any differences there, but SA has a full scan of the older version if you happen to find a copy with the newer cover.

Apr 25 at 1:11:07 PM
wrk (69)
(Adolf Oliver Bush) < Boogerman >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: Lonsta

2) Does anyone know any info of this system box variant? I recently scored this in a sweet local Sega lot and am trying to gauge the value. http://i.imgur.com/w71Cru2.jpg

I've got that box stored away somewhere.  That and a Joe Montana Football variant.

-------------------------
https://www.prodigydisc.com/...

Jun 23 at 3:48:37 PM
TheArcadeGeek (20)

< Flicky >

Edited: 07/04/2017 at 08:58 PM by TheArcadeGeek

Jul 31 at 11:50:55 AM
VGCollectaholic (1)
(Scott aka VGCollectaholic) < Flicky >
Connecticut
A couple weeks ago I stumbled across what appears to be an unknown variant of Rise of the Dragon (i.e. not the original blue cardboard box, not the blue cardboard box with Dynamix/MA-17 stickers, and not the standard candy-striped jewel case).   I showed pics of it to swlovinsit and he hasn't seen it before either.   It's packaged in a Saturn-style longbox jewel case but it has the cover art from the original blue CB box.  At first, I was skeptical and assumed that it was some sort of a hack job - i.e. someone (perhaps even a rental store for display purposes) took the cardboard box, cut it up and stuffed it in a longbox jewel case.   However, upon closer inspection, several items indicate that it's not:

1) Hang Tab - This copy is shrink-wrapped and there is a standard longbox hangtab affixed to the back (and the hang tab is fully intact and unused).  This more or less eliminates the possibility that it was a rental store display job of some sort as they would have no reason to pop an original-style hang tab on a display unit and then not use it.  Doesn't, however, prove that it's not a hackjob of the original CB release... the next two points though...
2) Rear Cover Art Insert - It is the proper size for the Saturn-style longbox case (the cardboard box version is slightly narrower and would look a bit off). It has the perforated seams that one sees along the spine bend on those cover art inserts (the cardboard box version, obviously, does not).
3) Instruction Manual - The original cardboard box release has an instruction manual that matches the cardboard box artwork.  However, that manual doesn't match that box artwork perfectly - the box cover art has a "Content Advisory" notice running down the lower right side of the blue art border, the manual for that version does not have the Content Advisory notice on it.   In this version I found, the instruction manual, obviously, doubles as the front cover art.  This manual does have the "Content Advisory" notice on it, differentiating it from the only known blue box style instruction manual.

Front scan:

Back Scan:

Front Pic:

Close-up shot of the Content Advisory warning on the instruction manual.  This is not present on the original cardboard box version.

Another back shot:

Hang tab:

Side spine (on the full-size version, you can see the perferation along the fold - towards the top in this picture's orientation, typical of longbox rear cover art inserts, but wouldn't be present in a cut-up cardboard box):

Flip-side spine:

Instruction manual staples (so you can see it's not just a blue box front that's been cut and inserted):

Aug 03 at 9:45:01 AM
final fight cd (50)
(serious mustache ) < Seven Force >
Ohio
i saw that on ebay. in fact, there were 2 online actually in like a week or 2 period. the first one I for sure thought was a butchered box and just resealed. but the 2nd one I saw (which is yours), I actually was able to see ventholes, making me think it was definitely legit. but it's tough to say for sure since I don't have it in hand.  if this game was presented in any other way besides being sealed, i would for sure have passed it off as a butched box without a second though.  but, since there are ventholes and perforatations along the back insert it definitely lends itself to being legit.  congrats on the pickup.  i definitely wished i would have snagged it.  

if it is legit, that makes 2 extremely rare variants (minus wonder dog red). the other being "Dracula version 2.0".

Edited: 08/03/2017 at 09:54 AM by final fight cd

Aug 03 at 9:54:43 AM
VGCollectaholic (1)
Connecticut
I actually bought both of them that popped up on eBay. The seller backed out of the sale on the first listing. I think he realized that he had something unique. I was bummed and then I saw this one pop up a week or so later and was stunned. Grabbed it immediately.

I hadn't seen the Dracula 2.0 variant either. I just did a quick google on it and found your 2013 SA thread on the auction for it. Has any other info on it popped up?

Aug 03 at 10:07:47 AM
final fight cd (50)
Ohio
i'm only 8 games away from a sealed sega cd set, so i exclusively look up sega cd games in "new" condition. so i'm not too sure how often, if any at all, the "version 2.0" shows up in used condition. the only one i have ever seen was the sealed one from several years ago. i just did a quick google image search and cannot find a single image of it. was that the last time "version 2.0" has seen ebay? it'd be crazy if it was.

i don't think any other info is known about it, minus the small discussion from the thread i made.

and that's whats great about this hobby. all these years later new shit is still being found.

are you big into sega cd collecting?

Edited: 08/03/2017 at 10:13 AM by final fight cd

Aug 03 at 10:15:14 AM
final fight cd (50)
Ohio
i do think somebody else needs to take the helm of this thread, as the OG poster is no longer active nor into the sega cd scene. there are updates that should be added. plus, documentation of game contents should be part of this as well.

Aug 03 at 11:30:46 AM
VGCollectaholic (1)
Connecticut
Yeah I've been avoiding work all morning by searching for more info on that Dracula 2.0 as well and can't find any other info on it. The ebay link you referenced back in 2013 is long dead too so even that picture is lost to the sands of e-time. Did you grab a pic of it by chance back then? Love to see it.

I do love Sega CD collecting. I have a complete CIB US set and am trying to complete a CIB+Variants set. I'm only missing a couple of the Lunar variants but have the rest... well, I thought I did anyway before learning about this Rise of the Dragon and now the Dracula 2.0 haha.

Impressive work on that NIB set! Of my SCD set, I think only a a dozen or so are sealed. Almost all of my CB releases are sealed (except red box Wonder Dog), just because that was the only way to find them in good condition. I don't really consider myself an NIB collector, although I'd estimate that probably >50% of my game collection is sealed, but that's just because I've been buying stuff new for 25 years and don't ever have time to make a dent in my backlog lol.

Edited: 08/03/2017 at 11:59 AM by VGCollectaholic

Aug 03 at 11:49:49 AM
final fight cd (50)
Ohio
if you ever opened a sealed sega cd game in the past and can remember the contents let me know. or if you open a game up in the future let me know about any contents. i'm keeping track of contents. I've opened about 30 so far. I plan on making a thread at some point. or maybe i can take over this thread and edit the first page with a bunch of updated shit, including game contents.

Edited: 08/03/2017 at 11:52 AM by final fight cd

Aug 03 at 12:11:36 PM
VGCollectaholic (1)
Connecticut
Someone taking over the thread and updating/expanding it would certainly be helpful. Failing taking over this thread, it would even be worth creating a new "Redux" thread with a copy-paste of the OP (updated with other info) from this one as a starting point.

I think I have most of the requisite bonus/insert material for my CIB Sega CD set. I used to own a couple game stores and would update my own collection database when items would be traded in (discounting things that looked like mix n match and didn't make sense), but obviously unboxing is a far better resource. Given the era though, I'm sure there were a ton of pack-in material variants. But I'm with you - I don't consider something complete unless it has any respective publisher promos, registration card, foam pad, etc.

Aug 12 at 11:08:20 AM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
If one of you types up the new text how it should appear in the first post, as a Mod I can update it. So long as I just need to copy and paste

Aug 13 at 11:21:03 AM
final fight cd (50)
Ohio
Originally posted by: supergamboy

If one of you types up the new text how it should appear in the first post, as a Mod I can update it. So long as I just need to copy and paste
I think the whole first post needs a overhaul.  Having a moderator be the middle man just doesn't make any sense.

there is no way to allow a member to seize control of a single thread? If no, a new thread is likely warranted.