Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Favorite Sega pick up in a long while

Mar 04 at 5:21:27 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Sketch Turner >
Canada
Excuse the poor pic and bad frame job but I am just waiting on my favorite sega pick up in a long time to come in the mail!   I've been after this one for a long time so it was nice to finally find it and work something out.

Its the original oil painting created for the box art of Golden Axe II.   

Its a nice feeling to track one down after years!     This was auctioned off about 15 years ago for about  3-4 grand at the time and I was never able to find out who won the auction until recently.     Had to pay a lot more to get it but was happy to do so.   cheers.

-------------------------

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Mar 04 at 7:21:33 PM
supergamboy (113)
(Sanford ) < Boogerman >
United States
Thanks for sharing, Dan!

I recognize a handful of the Boris Vallejo covers for the Genesis. I'm not sure how true this might be, but it seems like may his work is cropped less than the work of other artists? After you posted this I compared it to the actual cover, and it seems like everything in the painting made it onto the cover. In addition, nothing else was really added over top - and even the logo itself for Golden Axe II was added over the black box grid instead of over the art.

As I look through all the Google Image results for "Boris Vallejo" and see how much Erotica work he did, aside from the tits, much of it looks like it would be right at home as cover art for something for the Genesis.

Mar 04 at 7:31:21 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Bronty (65)
Canada
That's a really interesting thought that I'd never considered before. He may have had enough rep to demand the artwork be unaltered? Not sure. You'll notice he and Julie were always able to conspicuously sign their work, as well. I'd guess they had that right contractually

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Mar 04 at 8:29:07 PM
The Count (102)
(Grant X.) < Neff >
Minnesota
This is a cool piece as always, Bronty. I'm also a big fan of Boris' Wings of Wor art.

Mar 06 at 6:32:33 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Bronty (65)
Canada
Thanks. Wings of Wor is cool, but the flying monster on that one creeps me out a little too much LOL.    Its the eyes.

And I think to myself, maybe shoot the monster instead of rubbing yourself down in baby oil and posing, bro. You're shooting in the wrong direction  

Edited: 03/06/2018 at 06:33 PM by Bronty

Mar 06 at 8:10:59 PM
supergamboy (113)
(Sanford ) < Boogerman >
United States
I like that a number of Boris' pieces seem to have stand alone "names" separate from the games with which they are affiliated.

The one for Wings of Wor is named "Bug Eyes". A painting very similar to Phantasy Star IV is named "Blackstar."

Bronty, I imagine that some paintings were explicitly commissioned, like for games with a recognizable character like Mega Man, or the characters in your Golden Axe II piece. For something like Wings of Wor, do you think maybe Sega looked through paintings he had already painted as his own fantasy originals, and then just chose one to use for the game?

My uneducated guess for Blackstar would be that Sega (or whoever made those decisions) looked at Blackstar and said they liked it, but then had him repaint it with certain requested changes.

Blackstar:

Phantasy Star IV:

Mar 06 at 9:53:22 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Bronty (65)
Canada
I think they were all expressly commissioned to be honest. The reason they have stand alone names is just because Boris and Julie assign names to them after the fact , and with an inventory code number, after the job is done.

So to make up some inaccurate examples, Boris might have been commissioned to paint golden axe 2 and then called it "Journey" and wrote something like "B-202" on the back.

Julie might have been commissioned to do demons crest and called it "Demon" and might have written something like J-173 on the back.

And then they would have filed the originals away until someone bought them.
  I’m not sure if it still does, but their website used to show the inventory code for each original that was available.   

Why call it Journey instead of Golden axe?    Well back in 1991 or whatever the association with a video game probably made the art less saleable not more.    So back then a “straight” name for the painting would have helped them sell it to their regular clientele of their fantasy work

Edited: 03/06/2018 at 09:57 PM by Bronty

Mar 06 at 10:27:04 PM
flatuswalrus (54)
(Mr. Dane) < Max Thunder >
Queensland
I love fantasy artwork, always have. That is a great piece indeed. Definitely something to treasure. Congratulations on the score.

Mar 08 at 11:37:43 AM
TheGreyGhost (5)
< Sketch Turner >
Ontario
Wow very cool, good for you!

NA Game Gear loose cart collection: 132\233

Mar 08 at 1:05:50 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Bronty (65)
Canada
thanks!

Mar 08 at 1:09:33 PM
Podmax (37)
(M J) < Dr. Robotnik >
Texas
That's awesome

"When in this state of mind, the controller becomes held like the last rung of a ladder that mid-90's Bruce Willis is hanging onto for dear life above a paper mache replica of the New York City skyline covered in cement, broken glass, and Lego pieces." ~ Galacticlint

SegaAge Discord Chat invite link : https://discord.gg/N...

Mar 08 at 1:10:23 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Bronty (65)
Canada
Originally posted by: supergamboy

I like that a number of Boris' pieces seem to have stand alone "names" separate from the games with which they are affiliated.

The one for Wings of Wor is named "Bug Eyes". A painting very similar to Phantasy Star IV is named "Blackstar."

Bronty, I imagine that some paintings were explicitly commissioned, like for games with a recognizable character like Mega Man, or the characters in your Golden Axe II piece. For something like Wings of Wor, do you think maybe Sega looked through paintings he had already painted as his own fantasy originals, and then just chose one to use for the game?

My uneducated guess for Blackstar would be that Sega (or whoever made those decisions) looked at Blackstar and said they liked it, but then had him repaint it with certain requested changes.

Blackstar:

Phantasy Star IV:

Sanford, about blackstar.

Somethings been bugging me about that image since you posted it.    It just doesn't look right.   

So, I googled, and saw the image come up, but only on pinterest, and not on their site.

Hmm.

So I saw it again and thought.... that shiny outline... that kind of reminds of what they'd do with "chromium" comic covers and trading cards and crap back in the day.

So, my guess is that its not an original at all, and just a trading card.

I googled from there and found out that there were indeed Boris trading cards.

https://www.amazon.com/BORIS-COMI...

As a fun aside, it seems NES swords and serpents is the box image for "series 2".    

So, my best guess is that its a high production value trading card, where they would do these gimmicky finishes to make them "special" and "collectible."

Mar 08 at 1:19:24 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Bronty (65)
Canada
found it - here's a pic of the card from ebay.   From some all-chromium Boris card set.

Edited: 03/08/2018 at 03:38 PM by Bronty

Mar 08 at 11:26:59 PM
mydogsrule (158)

(Jonathan Smith) < Alex Kidd >
Tennessee
Fantastic piece!! Happy to know this art is in good hands. Oh and after so many people see this post it should make Segaage more alive than ever. I assume everyone will now start pulling out their original sega art and post about it. Well... I can atleast wish that would happen😁. Dan, since you are one of the few who actually own sega art, more post like this in the future please!!!

Edited: 03/08/2018 at 11:28 PM by mydogsrule

Mar 09 at 11:47:44 PM
supergamboy (113)
(Sanford ) < Boogerman >
United States
Seeing those cards adds even more questions for me.

It is kind of surprising that a company would commission a piece of art but that the artist would then keep the art itself. I know in various art threads you've mentioned that after only a short period, George Lucas started to buy every single piece of art created for Star Wars to then use for other merchandising. So in this instance, its odd that Sega would commission artwork for Phantasy Star IV but that Boris Vallejo would retain the commercial (?) rights to then be able to use that art in a set of phantasy cards.

Neat find and great investigative work, but the world of video game art and all its quirks is both peculiar and interesting.

Mar 11 at 4:39:02 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Bronty (65)
Canada
Hmm yeah the rights of reproduction usually stay with the commissioning company. I suspect the art cards fall under fair use ? I'm not a lawyer but that's my guess.   There are one or two other artists that did game covers that also had card sets and I've seen them reproduced there in the same way .

The artists might also just have asked and obtained permission?

Edited: 03/11/2018 at 04:39 PM by Bronty

Mar 13 at 11:33:56 PM
AsmikAce (90)
< Neff >
Indiana
I didn't realize how much Sega stuff Boris Vallejo did, I know he did most of the Accolade covers.

Mar 16 at 8:32:29 AM
supergamboy (113)
(Sanford ) < Boogerman >
United States
Originally posted by: AsmikAce

I didn't realize how much Sega stuff Boris Vallejo did, I know he did most of the Accolade covers.
These are the Boris Vallejo ones I know, and maybe Bronty can make a few corrections or add ones I missed:

Accolade covers - each of these games included an offer for a poster of the cover art from Boris
- Hardball! (I believe this was actually Julie Bell, but it was listed in the game as a Boris poster)
- Mike Ditka Power Football
- Onslaught
- Star Control
- Turrican (I believe this one was also Julie Bell, but again poster was listed as Boris)

Non-Accolade titles:
- Ecco the Dolphin
- Ecco: The Tides of Time
- Golden Axe II
- Phantasy Star IV
- Wings of Wor
- Double Dragon V: The Shadow Falls (I think this is another Boris/Julie collab, but Dan would know better)

Then these are covers that I know of Julie Bell (Boris' wife) working on (this list probably incomplete):
- Eternal Champions
- Splatterhouse 3
- Strider Returns: Journey From Darkness
- Warrior of Rome 2

I miss anything Dan?

Mar 25 at 12:09:59 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Bronty (65)
Canada
Good list! I don't have a list handy so just going by memory it's hard to remember much else. Ax battler for game gear I suppose

Edited: 03/25/2018 at 12:10 AM by Bronty

Mar 25 at 12:15:08 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Bronty (65)
Canada
Defender of oasis

Mar 25 at 12:18:32 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Bronty (65)
Canada
Not 100% sure but I suspect sword of Sodan too

Mar 25 at 12:20:43 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Bronty (65)
Canada
Oh and the unreleased North American art for golden axe 3