Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Is this El Viento box art legit

Feb 10 at 10:52:20 AM
snes_collector (80)

(Jordan ) < Flicky >
Virginia
Think I got burned but I want to double check with you all. Purchased a boxed copy of El Viento yesterday and I think the insert may be fake but I'm not sure. Game is legit and came in a real Sega logo'd Genesis box but some red flags to me to the insert:

Looks like the entire art is too "red" when compared to images found on the net, are they all the way or have I gotten a repro artwork? Thanks

EDIT: I know notice the gangsters jackets are too dark. Pretty much confirms it. Of course it was a store away from home I can't go back to return it to.

-------------------------

Edited: 02/10/2018 at 11:01 AM by snes_collector

Feb 10 at 11:07:06 AM
supergamboy (113)
(Sanford ) < Boogerman >
United States
It does not match the standard art work for the game. How does the print quality look to your naked eye? Are the words at all fuzzy or not crisp? How does the paper thickness feel compared to other Renovation games that you own? Odds are that your box is not authentic. Very small chance it is a "variant" but I doubt it. The only way I would make that conclusion is if I had it in hand and then later saw others that were the same.

Feb 10 at 11:26:38 AM
snes_collector (80)

(Jordan ) < Flicky >
Virginia
Yeah, it is hard to get perfect pictures to capture everything. Paper quality is similar to other Renovation games I have but some of the text is a little fuzzy, namely the "Renovation Products Inc" logo at the bottom left corner. Should be worth noting the insert has no wear while the game is an ex-rental. The legit genesis brand case threw me off, but unless someone else has a copy like this, I'm gonna chalk it up to being a decently made reprint. Thanks

Feb 10 at 11:39:45 AM
The Count (102)
(Grant X.) < Neff >
Minnesota
The pictures make it appear too dark, but it would be much easier to confirm in person. Don't let the clamshell lead you one way or another as those are swapped all the time. If it seems fuzzy at all then it's definitely fake.

Feb 10 at 5:10:06 PM
dballin (22)
(Dave Balls) < Dr. Robotnik >
Rhode Island
Your art seems to be very dark, but I can't tell if it's the art or your lighting. The scan on SA is pretty low res, but does appear to be brighter than my actual artwork which means my scanner was doing something funky at the time. I'm curious as to what supergamboy sees when he says it doesn't match the standard artwork. I am clearly missing it unless he means colors?

The periods after inc and ltd on the rear cover appear to be either not there at all or comically small. The RENOVATION PRODUCTS, INC. blue text seems blurry(again, may be the picture) and I can't tell if the lines running through the Renovation logo on the front are green or the text on the screenshots is legible (they should be). The small details may be more of an indication of reproduction?

Feb 10 at 5:15:23 PM
dballin (22)
(Dave Balls) < Dr. Robotnik >
Rhode Island
For my garbage lighting/photography to maybe compare the text on the bottom rear: https://imgur.com/CZ9qmtU...

Feb 11 at 8:33:11 AM
snes_collector (80)

(Jordan ) < Flicky >
Virginia
Thanks for the pic, the back art is not that bright on my cop for sure. After more searching, looks like it came from this seller: https://www.ebay.com/itm/El-Vient..., auction even states it comes with Sega brand case

Feb 11 at 8:34:55 PM
supergamboy (113)
(Sanford ) < Boogerman >
United States
Originally posted by: dballin

I'm curious as to what supergamboy sees when he says it doesn't match the standard artwork. I am clearly missing it unless he means colors?
Yeah, I only mean the colors.  Way too dark in the one snes_collector bought.

But yeah, it appears that the box did indeed come from that eBay seller peddling reproductions.  Hey but at least every cover he/she sells is made with LOVE, so you won't be disappointed. Whew. Sorry for the bad news on the authenticity. Hopefully you didn't pay too much.

Mar 04 at 5:16:42 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Sketch Turner >
Canada
Doesn't look good to me.

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Mar 05 at 11:56:25 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Sketch Turner >
Canada
The more I look at it the worse it looks. The print quality isn't there. THe red bleeds subtly into the white type on the back. The colors are off. The whole thing looks to be printed with an injket and not with an offset printer.

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!