Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker - Pre-Production Sample Cart List of differences, EPROM pic, and Stage 3-2 (THRILLER!) footage added!

Sep 13, 2017 at 1:49:20 PM
KingofGames (127)

(Adrian Olivera) < Flicky >
California
A buddy of mine found this at the swap meet this morning for $20. I walked right by it! He hasn't tried firing it up yet, but the date code puts it a few months before the retail release. My assumption is that it is a final build, but we'll find out shortly. The cart is significantly heavier than a standard Genesis cart. Anyone have experience with these pre-production carts? The seller supposedly sourced it directly from Neverland.

EPROM pic:

Moonwalker

List of differences through Stage 3: 

A screen with copyright info plays when the game is started. I found a reference to this in https://tcrf.net/Michael_Jackson%27s_Moonwalker_(Genesis) described as 'Unused Text' 

When you start a game, there's a level select screen allowing you to choose the round and scene. 

On the options screen the list of music samples is different, with generic names like 'Round 1', 'Enemy' etc. instead of song title. 

There is no score & time screen after you beat a level. 

The transition animation between 1-3 and 2-1 is different. 

Bombs are always stationary and always explode after 3 seconds. 

In 2-2 the two elevators at each end of the level are not synced. If you use one you have to go all the way back to it to change floors. 

The 2-3 boss battle is different, there's no magic white dog, just a bunch of the regular dog enemies. 

The Round 3 music is Thriller, the full song. 

In the 3-2 and 3-3 boss battles you just fight regular zombies, they don't fly or detach their torsos or anything.

IMG_7791

Edited: 09/15/2017 at 07:08 PM by KingofGames

Sep 13, 2017 at 2:48:22 PM
Dyer60 (27)

< Neff >
Northern Ireland
Nice find and a great price! Well done to your buddy.

I have had experience with them, having had a previous collection of around 100 carts.

The extra weight comes from the fact that the game is on EPROM chips, those that can be erased and re written dur My production. If opened you should see little windows on the chips make sure they are protected as this is how the daya is erased and written, very strong UV light could agree them if they are not covered.

Some have stickers on the windows with version and data information.

Moonwalker went trough a number of changes in production the most noteworthy being that particular MJ songs were taken out due to copyright issues, would be good to see any differences to the first retail version.

A dump of the cart and a comparison in the data would confirm this, it would then just be a case of identifying the differences.

I find it hard to believe that the seller got it direct from Neverland and was prepared to sell it for $20 but hey stranger things have happened.

Great thing!

Sep 13, 2017 at 2:51:34 PM
KingofGames (127)

California
Originally posted by: Dyer60

Nice find and a great price! Well done to your buddy.

I have had experience with them, having had a previous collection of around 100 carts.

The extra weight comes from the fact that the game is on EPROM chips, those that can be erased and re written dur My production. If opened you should see little windows on the chips make sure they are protected as this is how the daya is erased and written, very strong UV light could agree them if they are not covered.

Some have stickers on the windows with version and data information.

Moonwalker went trough a number of changes in production the most noteworthy being that particular MJ songs were taken out due to copyright issues, would be good to see any differences to the first retail version.

A dump of the cart and a comparison in the data would confirm this, it would then just be a case of identifying the differences.

I find it hard to believe that the seller got it direct from Neverland and was prepared to sell it for $20 but hey stranger things have happened.

Great thing!

Thanks for the quick response, Dyer! I have no way to corroborate the story, but that's what he said. I asked if all of his items were from Neverland, but he said no. In any case, assuming it's an exact copy of the final version, what would you suspect the value to be? If it has content that isn't found on the final version, I'm sure that would have an impact on price?

Sep 13, 2017 at 3:04:13 PM
Dyer60 (27)

< Neff >
Northern Ireland
Just noticed you are based in California! I was there last week imagine this could of been round the corner and I had no idea? Where was the swap meet if you do t mind me asking?

With regard to value it is very much dependent on the content, as you say differences will increase its appeal and potential value. In my experience it is very much down to what people are prepared to pay. It will appeal to collectors of pre production carts/MJ collectors and Sega fans.

Based on what I would have paid when collecting, probably $100-$150 if final and if different then it depends how different really. I could see someone going more!

You never really know unless you try to sell it.

Edited: 09/13/2017 at 03:04 PM by Dyer60

Sep 13, 2017 at 6:15:07 PM
KingofGames (127)

California
Ha! Go figure. The swap meet was in Ventura, CA. The vendor had no other games. It was quite the fluke.

So one of the big difference so far is that Thriller is the stage music, and not simply an unlockable clip. Apparently there are other differences like a copyright screen at the start of the game, and no score/time summary at the end of stages.

Sep 13, 2017 at 6:57:37 PM
TheGreyGhost (5)
< Sketch Turner >
Ontario
Cool find! Thanks for sharing!

-------------------------
NA Game Gear loose cart collection: 132\233

Sep 14, 2017 at 8:57:47 AM
Dyer60 (27)

< Neff >
Northern Ireland
Originally posted by: KingofGames

Ha! Go figure. The swap meet was in Ventura, CA. The vendor had no other games. It was quite the fluke.

So one of the big difference so far is that Thriller is the stage music, and not simply an unlockable clip. Apparently there are other differences like a copyright screen at the start of the game, and no score/time summary at the end of stages.

Ah a bit further North then, I was in San Diego and then Santa Monica.

In the early retail release extracts/clips from Thriller played in level 3 I think, given that and the other differences, sounds like it is different from final. An even more exciting find!

Sep 14, 2017 at 11:29:19 AM
KingofGames (127)

California
Originally posted by: Dyer60

Originally posted by: KingofGames

Ah a bit further North then, I was in San Diego and then Santa Monica.

In the early retail release extracts/clips from Thriller played in level 3 I think, given that and the other differences, sounds like it is different from final. An even more exciting find!

Yup, that's right. Thriller plays in response to holding down the A button on stage 3, but only for a short while. This build features Thriller as the primary stage music. I believe my buddy is working on a list of differences from the final build. If that is completed, I'll post the list here. 

Sep 14, 2017 at 11:36:08 AM
Dyer60 (27)

< Neff >
Northern Ireland
Excellent that will be fantastic to see, again thanks for sharing.

Sep 15, 2017 at 3:57:57 PM
KingofGames (127)

California
List of differences through Stage 3:

A screen with copyright info plays when the game is started. I found a reference to this in https://tcrf.net/Michael_Jackson%...) described as 'Unused Text'

When you start a game, there's a level select screen allowing you to choose the round and scene.

On the options screen the list of music samples is different, with generic names like 'Round 1', 'Enemy' etc. instead of song title.

There is no score & time screen after you beat a level.

The transition animation between 1-3 and 2-1 is different.

Bombs are always stationary and always explode after 3 seconds.

In 2-2 the two elevators at each end of the level are not synced. If you use one you have to go all the way back to it to change floors.

The 2-3 boss battle is different, there's no magic white dog, just a bunch of the regular dog enemies.

The Round 3 music is Thriller, the full song.

In the 3-2 and 3-3 boss battles you just fight regular zombies, they don't fly or detach their torsos or anything.

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:29:20 PM
mydogsrule (162)

(Jonathan Smith) < Alex Kidd >
Tennessee
Thanks for sharing! Since you are asking about value is your friend selling? Sega protos typically don't do as well as some but since there are some differences it might sell for an ok amount. If he auctions it on EBay that would give you a sure value of just list with a buy it now and best offer option.

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:44:27 PM
AsmikAce (92)
< Neff >
Indiana
Sweet find! Hope you dump the rom just because not having Thriller was a bumper in the later releases.

Dec 27, 2017 at 5:42:51 PM
IrishNinja (24)
(Half-man, half-amazing ) < Sketch Turner >
Florida
late here, but this was an incredible find - thanks for posting the video & details!

also let me be the 1,000th person hoping you can dump the ROM soon, haha.

Dec 28, 2017 at 7:34:28 PM
spoonman (66)
(Matt - The Obsessed Gamer) < Flicky >
New York
I'm sure you've had many offers to dump this cartridge for you, but I also wanted to extend my services as well.
This cartridge is for sure a very cool oddity and piece of Sega history. I'd love to see it preserved before anything were to happen to it, including it being sold off to someone who wouldn't wasn't to preserve it. 

I have experience with dumping hundreds of SNES and Genesis roms since 1992, and I would even be willing to pay trackable shipping both ways in order to get this properly preserved.
I've been on Nintendoage for nearly 10 years, and on eBay (as Zenarcher) since 1998, with 100% positive feedback.

In addition to dumping the rom, i could also create an IPS patch of the differences between this rom and the retail final (both REV00 and REV01). This would essentially allow someone to legally create this version with their own Moonwalker rom dump.

I would use a super Magic Drive (Model SMD800) to dump the cartridge data.

If you're interested just shoot me a PM.
Shamone....hooooo!!!  

Jun 30 at 9:41:34 PM
Jackal157 (0)

(Landon White) < Flicky >
New York
Hi guys! My name is Landon White and I have purchased this Preproduction cart from Brian and have made an update video! Check it out! 

Aug 09 at 1:27:52 PM
Jackal157 (0)

(Landon White) < Flicky >
New York
The rom is released guys! Go get it!!! http://s000.tinyupload.com/index....