Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

U.S. NTSC Sega CD Collector's Guide Version 2.0

Apr 20, 2018 at 3:52:35 PM
cyberguile (2)

(joe musashi) < Alex Kidd >
France
I have a sealed copy of cadillac and dinosaur I wouldn't mind opening (if I can find it in the closet...) but just to make sure before doing it: would it be of any help ? ^^

Apr 21, 2018 at 4:30:25 AM
final fight cd (57)
(serious mustache ) < Seven Force >
Ohio
Not really? I know it comes with the rocket science catologue and likely that is it.

Apr 26, 2018 at 12:46:41 PM
sulaco (2)
< Alex Kidd >
It looks like there's not a console section yet. From what I've found, there are five US consoles, and at least the JVC X'EYE has two variations (one with A/V port and RCA jacks, one with only RCA jacks; I've read that there is one with only an A/V port and no RCA jacks, but I've never seen one).
  1. Model 1 (Frontloader)
  2. Model 2 (Toploader)
  3. CDX
  4. JVC X'EYE w/ JVC Branded 3-button controller
    1. Stereo RCA Only
    2. Stereo RCA & Model 2 A/V Output (RGB compatible)
    3. A/V Output Only? (not sure if this is a myth)
    4. 32X compatible top-case mod (JVC service until 2013!)
  5. Pioneer LaserActive w/ Pioneer Branded 6-button controller
American Laser Games also made a Gamegun branded specifically for the Sega CD (I believe it was also 3DO compatible, but was sold with one sticker or the other).

And a Rocket Science VHS Promo Tape which also comes with the same gear booklet that was included with their games:

-------------------------
US Sega CD Games: 100% (149/149)
US Sega CD Consoles: 100% (5/5)
US Sega CD Books: 84% (21/25)

May 1, 2018 at 4:08:39 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
K.Thrower (120)
(Kenny Boy) < Sketch Turner >
Colorado
What is the difference in these two variants? I am aware of the jewel manual variants and disc variants.

​17.) Rise of the Dragon - plastic long box
​18.) Rise of the Dragon - plastic long box with cardboard box art

I have been looking online and only see the cardboard blue box with and without MA-17 sticker, and a single art version of the jewel case black box version. All of them have the same art. Is there a harder to find jewel case with different art? (4th version)

Ready for adventure!
www.watagames.com...

May 6, 2018 at 6:06:18 AM
final fight cd (57)
Ohio
Originally posted by: sulaco

It looks like there's not a console section yet. From what I've found, there are five US consoles, and at least the JVC X'EYE has two variations (one with A/V port and RCA jacks, one with only RCA jacks; I've read that there is one with only an A/V port and no RCA jacks, but I've never seen one).
  1. Model 1 (Frontloader)
  2. Model 2 (Toploader)
  3. CDX
  4. JVC X'EYE w/ JVC Branded 3-button controller
    1. Stereo RCA Only
    2. Stereo RCA & Model 2 A/V Output (RGB compatible)
    3. A/V Output Only? (not sure if this is a myth)
    4. 32X compatible top-case mod (JVC service until 2013!)
  5. Pioneer LaserActive w/ Pioneer Branded 6-button controller
American Laser Games also made a Gamegun branded specifically for the Sega CD (I believe it was also 3DO compatible, but was sold with one sticker or the other).

And a Rocket Science VHS Promo Tape which also comes with the same gear booklet that was included with their games:

there is a 'console boxes' section.  but i do need to add the pioneer laser active.  also, are you saying that there are 4 variants of the x'eye? crazy.  

​that rocket science is a pamphet? or an actual VHS tape?

May 6, 2018 at 6:21:20 AM
final fight cd (57)
Ohio
Originally posted by: K.Thrower

What is the difference in these two variants? I am aware of the jewel manual variants and disc variants.

​17.) Rise of the Dragon - plastic long box
​18.) Rise of the Dragon - plastic long box with cardboard box art

I have been looking online and only see the cardboard blue box with and without MA-17 sticker, and a single art version of the jewel case black box version. All of them have the same art. Is there a harder to find jewel case with different art? (4th version)

somebody bought a version of the game which came in a standard plastic long box, but the contents were of that of the cardbord box variant.  at first glance one woud have assumed somebody just cut up the cardboard box version, stuffed in into a plastic long box, sealed it, and called it a day.  the pics have since been deleted by the user, but if memory serves me correctly the seal had ventholes and the back insert had factory perforations allowing the insert to fold to make the spine.  is it legit? can't say for sure, but with the info presented you kinda just have to assume.  that and "dracula version 2.0" are 2 modern mysteries of the sega cd.  

May 6, 2018 at 6:51:07 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
K.Thrower (120)
(Kenny Boy) < Sketch Turner >
Colorado
Interesting, thanks for the info, I'll keep my eyes peeled for that one.

Ready for adventure!
www.watagames.com...

May 8, 2018 at 4:56:43 PM
sulaco (2)
< Alex Kidd >
Originally posted by: final fight cd

​that rocket science is a pamphet? or an actual VHS tape?

Yeah, that Rocket Science image is a scan of the box for a VHS cassette. The width of the box matches the Rocket Science gear book (wider than a VHS tape) and the length matches the width (long side) of a VHS cassette. With all of that packaging, there is just over 3 minutes of content across two commercials (one for Loadstar and one for Cadillacs and Dinosaurs). 

but i do need to add the pioneer laser active.
I have a LaserActive box, but it's a fairly generic white Pioneer box. I'm not sure if it's standard or not, but I can post a photo. I don't have most of the other LaserActive packaging, but do have all of the hardware (PAC-S10, LaserActive branded 6-button).

also, are you saying that there are 4 variants of the x'eye? crazy.  

There are two variations that I know for sure (because I have them) - one with composite and RF output and another with composite, RF, and the Model 2 A/V adapter output. I've _heard_ that there is a version with _only_ Model 2 A/V adapter output, but I've never seen it in the wild. On top of that (and according to the guys over at Sega-16), JVC offered a service where you could send your X'EYE in... .

Nov 26, 2018 at 2:28:49 AM
final fight cd (57)
Ohio
updates

couple opened sega cd games. of note, road rash comes with 3 paper items!

Jan 20 at 3:20:29 PM
sulaco (2)
< Alex Kidd >
I was reading through the Mortal Kombat Wikipedia page and it notes (according to GamePro September 1994) that there was an early disc that didn't work on some model 1 consoles. I haven't been through all of my copies yet, but does anyone know off hand if there is a way to visually identify the two versions? I not, i'll rip them and see if there is any obvious differences on the disc.

Jan 21 at 12:30:05 AM
final fight cd (57)
Ohio

I was reading through the Mortal Kombat Wikipedia page and it notes (according to GamePro September 1994) that there was an early disc that didn't work on some model 1 consoles. I haven't been through all of my copies yet, but does anyone know off hand if there is a way to visually identify the two versions? I not, i'll rip them and see if there is any obvious differences on the disc.
Interesting. Never have heard of that before. What does a normal MK disc look like? Some kind of code/number change on the disc, maybe?

Jan 25 at 2:08:59 PM
sulaco (2)
< Alex Kidd >

Interesting. Never have heard of that before. What does a normal MK disc look like? Some kind of code/number change on the disc, maybe?

I found two copies I have and ripped both then compared the hashes. They were identical. I haven't tried them on my OG Sega CD yet, so I don't know for sure if they are both the broken version or the updated version. There's nothing notable about the disc itself and the two discs appear to be the same, though one does appear to have ever-so-slightly darker printing, but nothing else of note.

Jan 26 at 12:44:13 AM
final fight cd (57)
Ohio
Can't quite read the photo. Can you give a summary of it?

Feb 21 at 2:13:01 PM
sulaco (2)
< Alex Kidd >
Oh, weird, here's a quick transcription:

Q: We hope that you can help us. Yesterday we purchased a Genesis Core System and the Mortal Kombat CD. We hooked the GCS to our Sega CD (it's an original Sega CD player) and had a lot of trouble getting Mortal Kombat to run. When we tried to play, one of two things happened: either the Access Light came on and stayed on, or the game froze repeatedly.

We called Acclaim (who said their engineers would get back to us) and then we called Sega. To no one's surprise, there's a recorded message on Sega's line that says that if we were calling about Mortal Kombat, we should call Acclaim.

It isn't fair to make incompatible games when the disc states clearly that the game "is for use with Sega CD System." I hope that you are able to find out some information on this matter.

Mr. and Mrs. Scott A. Bornholz, Wilmington, NC

Q: I purchased MK for my Sega CD, but when I start the game, red spots6 appear n the screen and the game locks up. I spent sixty bucks on this dead game. What should I do?

Michale Kane, Riverside, CA

A: Ron at Acclaim Consumer Service states: "Some discs are incompatible with Version 1.1 of the Sega CD, the older Sega CD model that loads from the front. When you turn on the TV, if the words in the upper lefthand corner read 'Ver 1.1,' mail the disc (you keep the documentation and box) to: Acclaim, Attention: Leslie Webber, 71 Audrey Ave., Oyster Bay, NY 11771. We'll replace the disc free of charge with a working one." p. 156

Edited: 02/21/2019 at 02:13 PM by sulaco

Mar 08 at 9:27:10 PM
sulaco (2)
< Alex Kidd >
I recently acquired a very small (but important to me) grail for my Sega CD collection:

It's the "belt" for the Model 1 pack-in software!! Sometime in the late 90s, mine was ripped, and I was crushed. I recently bought a lot for other purposes but new the original pack-ins were going to be included. The auction pictures didn't show the belt, and in my experience its very rare to find a set that still has it and if it does the price is excessive. I had resigned myself to never having one again.

After unpacking the lot and inspecting the contents, I moved the shipping box to the mudroom. I never pulled out the packing material, just the other things that were in the box. It mostly used paper for padding, but I noticed some cardboard that didn't really fit with the other padding and realized it was an insert that went to one of the other boxes. When I pulled that out, I noticed a small black item towards the corner with some thin lettering. My heart began to race but I was ready to be dissapointed by pulling out some random waste. But as I fished it out, my anticipation was rewarded and after 20-some years I have my belt again! And I almost threw it into the recycling bin!

Mar 13 at 1:55:18 AM
final fight cd (57)
Ohio
Nice pick up.

Mar 13 at 2:39:48 AM
dballin (22)
(Dave Balls) < Dr. Robotnik >
Rhode Island

but i do need to add the pioneer laser active.
I have a LaserActive box, but it's a fairly generic white Pioneer box. I'm not sure if it's standard or not, but I can post a photo. I don't have most of the other LaserActive packaging, but do have all of the hardware (PAC-S10, LaserActive branded 6-button).

Just saw this again. I have what I believe to be a complete PAC-S10 uploaded here if anyone cares. https://imgur.com/a/04muE...

I can also grab new pictures if anyone cares a lot.