Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Should we listen to pricecharting?

May 31, 2017 at 4:55:24 PM
Professor Gull (8)
(Professor Gull) < Neff >
Iowa
So I was busy loggin some games into my spreadsheet and I like to ping Price Charting for prices at times. Rarity Guide has been dead for years from what I know as well but I wanted to gather from you all some discrepencies on Price Charting.

PC shows Genesis games on the rise for value. When I was checking a few items though there were several items that were mislabeled and or mis filed. I know it engine run on items but anyone else feel or have stories of folks checking Pricecharting and having it be way off on "value"?

I tend to try to not follow for actual value as personally I feel value is what one thing is worth to another for the most part but lets hear some stories and feelings on this if you all would.

Game on!

-------------------------
I tried doing nothing and always ended up doing something instead.

I don't check here on weekends so bear with me folks thats just my private game time not meant to be interrupted.

https://www.facebook.com/professo...
Gull Gaming on Youtube!
https://twitter.com/ProfessorDotG...

Jun 1, 2017 at 7:32:56 AM
jonebone (528)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Sketch Turner >
Maryland
No, use Gamevaluenow.com , much more precise and has been superior to PC for at least 18 months now.

WTB Sealed & CIB Mint Games!
NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16

Now Playing: Mario Rabbids Kingdom (Switch)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Jun 1, 2017 at 8:27:20 AM
Professor Gull (8)
Iowa
Originally posted by: jonebone

No, use Gamevaluenow.com , much more precise and has been superior to PC for at least 18 months now.

They seem higher than Pricecharting so I ight use them for insurance purposes. I will have to investigate more with them to satisfy curiosity of their information sources. Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't check here on weekends so bear with me folks thats just my private game time not meant to be interrupted.

Gull Gaming on Youtube!

Jun 4, 2017 at 8:27:36 AM
TheGreyGhost (4)
< Tom-Tom >
Ontario
First of all, Im surprised this hasn't been a hotter discussion topic.

Im very skeptical of all online price charting. Its a tool for sellers to point toward in order to guarantee a price. From what I understand all these websites use the same or a similar algorithm in order to determine the supposed value. However, these are all prices only from one source which is EBay. So you have one source and prices that are based on a certain amount off sales for one item. How do we know how many sales the price is derived from? 10 or 100? Of course its easy to reference perhaps to get a bearing, but for myself I just my personal price point from personal experience in stores. Of course I can't apply that in any given situation. But at least it gives me a real life personal snapshot of where the range is.

Again, Ebay is one source, but what about all the other sources that are not considered. What about the garage sale last week I went to? Prices can be all over the place, really ALL OVER. Some people believe they can sell some silly old PS3 for $20 at a garage sale and others give you the"garage sale" price, a steal, a good hunt. What about all the other sources? Kijiji here in Canada, other game stores, pawn shops, thrift stores. All Im saying is just because Dr. Google says so, it doesn't mean its right. There's plenty of times Ive remained patient and found what I was looking for locally at a much better price than giving in to sellers' pressures.

One more thing I remembered. All the prices are in USD. That doesnt reflect Canadian prices whatsoever. That means its significantly cheaper for me to buy form a Canadian seller as well as Americans to buy from Canadian prices. Furthermore, my guess is that the algorhtithm is based of the US Ebay. But what about all the other Ebays around the world? Correct me if im wrong. 

NA Game Gear loose cart collection: 114\233

Edited: 06/04/2017 at 08:31 AM by TheGreyGhost

Jun 4, 2017 at 10:59:41 PM
Silverspoon (33)

(Justin Steimer) < Sketch Turner >
Nebraska

Jun 5, 2017 at 8:42:56 AM
Professor Gull (8)
Iowa
Originally posted by: TheGreyGhost

Im very skeptical of all online price charting. Its a tool for sellers to point toward in order to guarantee a price. From what I understand all these websites use the same or a similar algorithm in order to determine the supposed value. However, these are all prices only from one source which is EBay. So you have one source and prices that are based on a certain amount off sales for one item. How do we know how many sales the price is derived from? 10 or 100? Of course its easy to reference perhaps to get a bearing, but for myself I just my personal price point from personal experience in stores. Of course I can't apply that in any given situation. But at least it gives me a real life personal snapshot of where the range is.

Again, Ebay is one source, but what about all the other sources that are not considered. What about the garage sale last week I went to? Prices can be all over the place, really ALL OVER. Some people believe they can sell some silly old PS3 for $20 at a garage sale and others give you the"garage sale" price, a steal, a good hunt. What about all the other sources? Kijiji here in Canada, other game stores, pawn shops, thrift stores. All Im saying is just because Dr. Google says so, it doesn't mean its right. There's plenty of times Ive remained patient and found what I was looking for locally at a much better price than giving in to sellers' pressures.

One more thing I remembered. All the prices are in USD. That doesnt reflect Canadian prices whatsoever. That means its significantly cheaper for me to buy form a Canadian seller as well as Americans to buy from Canadian prices. Furthermore, my guess is that the algorhtithm is based of the US Ebay. But what about all the other Ebays around the world? Correct me if im wrong. 

Some good points here as well. Really though value on a selling basis I find is up to the buyer for the most part. They are the ones who decide how much they are willing to pay on a price. Sellers can list for whatever and we see that one a daily basis artificially placing value and all.

MY big thing with Pricecharting is that they not only pull infor from ebay but they also pull info from themselves for sales. I can find that as a biased standing at times.

I would love to buy stuff in Canada but the shipping is a killer and my once a year trip up there really never involves game hunting since there is nothing near me like that.

Gull Gaming on Youtube!

Jun 11, 2017 at 7:55:36 PM
TheGreyGhost (4)
< Tom-Tom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Professor Gull

Originally posted by: TheGreyGhost

Some good points here as well. Really though value on a selling basis I find is up to the buyer for the most part. They are the ones who decide how much they are willing to pay on a price. Sellers can list for whatever and we see that one a daily basis artificially placing value and all.

MY big thing with Pricecharting is that they not only pull infor from ebay but they also pull info from themselves for sales. I can find that as a biased standing at times.

I would love to buy stuff in Canada but the shipping is a killer and my once a year trip up there really never involves game hunting since there is nothing near me like that.

LOL I love Silverspoon's reply. Simple and excatly my opinion.

You are correct. Hence, the buyer needs to be skeptical, patience and informed in making their decision.

Ya, either way its bullshit. Their infor is narrowminded and biased.

YEs shipping is always an issue for me as well. Id be happy to help in any way I can. Let me know if theres anything specific and I can keep my eyes open.

NA Game Gear loose cart collection: 114\233

Jun 14, 2017 at 2:37:03 PM
Professor Gull (8)
Iowa
So along these same lines I would like to pose to the folks here.

Game Value is it more still by the seller or by the buyer that this gets dictated? Meaning is it a sellers world or buyers world. Opinions are surely welcome.

Gull Gaming on Youtube!

Jun 14, 2017 at 6:34:08 PM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
Game Value Now and Price Charting are the same conceptually. Game Value Now more accurately tracks the eBay sale prices of any given title. I don't buy into the idea of seller-preferential or buyer-preferential pricing. Both sites aim to provide an idea of what the market price is for an item by capturing sale values over an extended period of time. Even if you were to disagree with the notion of their pricing as "market value" you would certainly be able to see that overtime the price of the game has generally risen by x amount. A buyer can be as skeptical as they like and may hope to hold out for a different price, but I wouldn't call that style of website inaccurate

Jan 10 at 3:14:51 PM
MasonSushi (82)
(Mason 8-Bit_Nes) < Sketch Turner >
South Carolina
I like GVN over PC. I also want GVN to have an app so I can keep my collection organized and priced in my phone.

Come visit my youtube channel

MasonSushi YouTube Channel