Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Loading...

a complete sealed sega cd cardboard box collection

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:58:26 AM
final fight cd (57)
avatar
(serious mustache ) < Seven Force >
Posts: 1417 - Joined: 11/14/2010
Ohio
Profile
the nes has the "black-box-30," right? that's a thing?  well, the sega cd has its own equivalent: the "cardboard box 22."  at least that's what i refer to them as.  after 7 years of searching, and searching, waiting, losing interest, regaining interest, and again waiting some more i was finally able to buy 'em all...never to be played.  

when searching ebay for sega cd cardboard box titles you essentially have two flavors: used and beat to hell and back or sealed and in (usually) good condition.  and that's where my interest in sealed collecting came about.  why buy a used copy in asshole condition when i could buy a sealed copy in good condition?  most came from ebay.  some from amazon.  at leat one, possibly two, from a random website i found searching the web.



there are three missing variants i currently do not have, but all games are represented. 

Feb 26, 2017 at 10:05:36 AM
nrslam (12)

(Ron S) < Tom-Tom >
Posts: 85 - Joined: 07/19/2011
Washington
Profile
Very nice!

Feb 26, 2017 at 10:23:58 AM
The Age of Genesis (17)
avatar
< Tom-Tom >
Posts: 86 - Joined: 04/26/2016
Profile
I don't even have a single CIB Sega CD cardboard release. Just like you said, the ones that I come across are usually beat to hell. And I ain't paying sealed prices!


Edited: 02/26/2017 at 10:24 AM by The Age of Genesis

Feb 26, 2017 at 12:22:48 PM
retrokidd89 (53)
avatar
(Belmont ) < Sketch Turner >
Posts: 192 - Joined: 09/07/2012
New York
Profile
Impressive. I have 3 CB games and all worn to shit.

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:07:38 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

(Jeremiah Thomas) < Sketch Turner >
Posts: 133 - Joined: 12/28/2010
Texas
Profile
Nice collection. One of the variants would be Wonder Dog. Would the other two both be Night Trap variants?

Feb 26, 2017 at 9:13:43 PM
dballin (22)
avatar
(Dave Balls) < Dr. Robotnik >
Posts: 1614 - Joined: 03/01/2012
Rhode Island
Profile
Wonder Dog red box is one yes. Night Trap and Rise of the Dragon both had MA-17 sticker variants so there's your 3. This is pretty impressive. 7 years to complete is insane. You must have been incredibly selective or those periods of lost interest were quite long.

Feb 26, 2017 at 9:56:08 PM
snk2d4ever (68)
avatar
(Chris M) < Tom-Tom >
Posts: 67 - Joined: 06/29/2012
Indiana
Profile
These are the hardest boxes to find in nice condition, for any system IMO. Great job!

Feb 26, 2017 at 11:59:09 PM
final fight cd (57)
avatar
(serious mustache ) < Seven Force >
Posts: 1417 - Joined: 11/14/2010
Ohio
Profile
Originally posted by: dballin

Wonder Dog red box is one yes. Night Trap and Rise of the Dragon both had MA-17 sticker variants so there's your 3. This is pretty impressive. 7 years to complete is insane. You must have been incredibly selective or those periods of lost interest were quite long.

my break was anywhere between 1-2 years and i was selective, but for the most part this was a legit 7 year search.  if one popped up on ebay i usually bought it, barring an insane price or unacceptable condition.  in fact, if people knew what i paid for many of these games they would probably think i "overpaid."  just one example: back in 2011 i paid $80 bucks for wonder dog on amazon.  2011 was much different.  wonder dog would probably pull $80ish, maybe even more, at auction today, but def not in 2011.  i guess the point i'm making is that i didn't let too many games slip past my hands. 

​there really are only two sales i was not involved in that i can remember.  first: if memory serves me correctly, rarebucky sold a time gal for a grand several years ago.  insane then, even more insane now considering how common it is on ebay.  second:  during my break i still occassionally searched ebay and ebay completed auctions and saw road avenger sold for ~$500 at auction. 

Feb 27, 2017 at 9:49:31 AM
The Age of Genesis (17)
avatar
< Tom-Tom >
Posts: 86 - Joined: 04/26/2016
Profile
Originally posted by: final fight cd
 
rarebucky sold a time gal for a grand several years ago.  insane then, even more insane now considering how common it is on ebay.
I still don't understand where he gets all those sealed games or who/why people are paying his outrageous prices.

 

Feb 27, 2017 at 1:03:15 PM
JeremiahJT (0)

(Jeremiah Thomas) < Sketch Turner >
Posts: 133 - Joined: 12/28/2010
Texas
Profile
I do have a desire to get this set, but it would not be sealed. My best box would be Final Fight CD. I found one locally for $100 in absolutely pristine condition and snapped it up.

Feb 27, 2017 at 1:18:29 PM

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:54:01 AM
final fight cd (57)
avatar
(serious mustache ) < Seven Force >
Posts: 1417 - Joined: 11/14/2010
Ohio
Profile
Originally posted by: supergamboy

Well done! Are those 3 missing variants next on your list?

yeah, i guess.  if the price is right.  wonder dog red's price is a bit...outrageous.  i can't imagine there are too many of them out there in a sealed state.

Mar 2, 2017 at 2:27:25 PM
MODERATOR
Johnny (155)
avatar
(Johnny Iucci) < Seven Force >
Posts: 1295 - Joined: 12/03/2010
California
Profile
Originally posted by: final fight cd
 
Originally posted by: supergamboy

Well done! Are those 3 missing variants next on your list?

yeah, i guess.  if the price is right.  wonder dog red's price is a bit...outrageous.  i can't imagine there are too many of them out there in a sealed state.
Congrats dude


 

-------------------------
~Listen to the Collector's Quest Podcast~
   https://itunes.apple.com/us/podca...
   https://soundcloud.com/collectors... 
 

Mar 3, 2017 at 1:54:55 PM
MODERATOR
Braveheart69 (222)
avatar
(AKA BLACKBOXY) < Bio-Hazard Battler >
Posts: 575 - Joined: 11/11/2010
Washington
Profile
Awesome congrats man, it's always sweet to get stuff you need and completing a tough collection is always rad!

-------------------------

I HAVE IT ALL NOW NES WISE!  Unless you come across a Canadian DK JR MATH... if so I'm a Buyer!
USA GG set (Including all variants): COMPLETE!   Set includes 244 / 257 Sealed/NEW!
Euro GG set (Including all variants): Missing 9 boxes, 9 books, 9 carts.
Japan GG set: COMPLETE!  196/196
Brazil GG set: Have 61/68.  Need 5 boxes, 7 books, 3 carts.
GG Pirate Total68 different & Counting, Including Car Licence!
GG Prototypes:  4


Apr 25, 2017 at 1:08:34 PM
wrk (69)
avatar
(Adolf Oliver Bush) < Boogerman >
Posts: 3047 - Joined: 11/11/2010
Tennessee
Profile
Originally posted by: final fight cd



there are three missing variants i currently do not have, but all games are represented. 

Wow man, congrats!  I remember when you started this quest!  Glad to see you reach the finish line!
 

-------------------------
https://www.prodigydisc.com/...



 

Apr 27, 2017 at 8:42:10 AM
final fight cd (57)
avatar
(serious mustache ) < Seven Force >
Posts: 1417 - Joined: 11/14/2010
Ohio
Profile
Originally posted by: wrk
 
 

Wow man, congrats!  I remember when you started this quest!  Glad to see you reach the finish line!
 
thanks. 

now the only thing left to do is brag about it some more and then post a ridiculous BIN on ebay. 
 

May 5, 2017 at 12:32:23 AM
T.A.P. (25)

(Taylor Pinson) < Sketch Turner >
Posts: 142 - Joined: 05/29/2013
Michigan
Profile
What games did you have the most trouble finding?

May 7, 2017 at 11:38:53 AM
final fight cd (57)
avatar
(serious mustache ) < Seven Force >
Posts: 1417 - Joined: 11/14/2010
Ohio
Profile
Originally posted by: T.A.P.

What games did you have the most trouble finding?
nothing was terribly hard to find.  i guess it's what you would expect for 25+ year old games; they all pretty much pop up on ebay, though infrequnetly, but it isn't like there is that one elusive game with no documented sale or picture and you question how many there actually are out there.  wonder dog red is a prime example of that, though it is a variant.  if another one never pops up on ebay i wouldn't be surprised.

​currently, variants aside, the hardest to find is probably secret of monkey island.  i guess i got lucky with that, as my nice copy was obtained somewhat early on in my search.  the only other one i've seen for sale is the copy in pretty bad shape and for a ridiculous price on ebay (it may no longer currently be on ebay. i'm not totally sure).  pricecharting says the last one sold/listed was in 2013 (mine was bought in 2012).

 


Edited: 05/07/2017 at 11:39 AM by final fight cd

May 10, 2017 at 6:55:12 PM
Silverspoon (33)

(Justin Steimer) < Sketch Turner >
Posts: 166 - Joined: 11/12/2010
Nebraska
Profile
Amazing collection! Maybe it should be made an award for having all of the cardboard titles.

Jun 08 at 11:38:17 PM
Eeker (0)

(Justin ) < Flicky >
Posts: 1 - Joined: 06/08/2019
Alabama
Profile
I'm actively collecting this same thing, though since technically variants are still cardboard, I'm calling it the cardboard 25... but that's what I'm not sure about.  I can't see all the games clearly in your photo (and I'm not sure what all boxes look like), but in other lists of the "Cardboard 22", I've seen "Rise of the Dragon" listed as one of the 22.  However, on eBay I find two versions of Rise of the Dragon, a baby blue box with MA-17, and a hard plastic later run like most games.  I'm thinking that the blue box is the MA-17 variant someone mentioned below (especially because I don't see a baby blue box in your collection), so then what does the original Rise of the Dragon cardboard look like?  Are there really 3 versions of it?  Thanks in advance if you have time to answer.


Edited: 06/08/2019 at 11:38 PM by Eeker

Jun 10 at 2:43:27 PM
SpaceFlea (51)
avatar
(Dan J) < Seven Force >
Posts: 1236 - Joined: 12/17/2010
Oklahoma
Profile
Originally posted by: Eeker

I'm actively collecting this same thing, though since technically variants are still cardboard, I'm calling it the cardboard 25... but that's what I'm not sure about.  I can't see all the games clearly in your photo (and I'm not sure what all boxes look like), but in other lists of the "Cardboard 22", I've seen "Rise of the Dragon" listed as one of the 22.  However, on eBay I find two versions of Rise of the Dragon, a baby blue box with MA-17, and a hard plastic later run like most games.  I'm thinking that the blue box is the MA-17 variant someone mentioned below (especially because I don't see a baby blue box in your collection), so then what does the original Rise of the Dragon cardboard look like?  Are there really 3 versions of it?  Thanks in advance if you have time to answer.

Rise has two cardboard box releases - one with the MA-17 sticker, and one without. The boxes are otherwise identical. It's 7th in from the right in that picture.
 

-------------------------
Be Attitude For Gains...