Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Asian MD games - information needed where to buy, etc.

Oct 11, 2016 at 2:59:55 PM
ViKiNg80 (2)
< Neff >
Russian Federation
Anybody collect Asian games?
Guardiana says, that there is 66 asian MD releases. Is it correct information?
What is the best place to buy asian games? Maybe local asian ebay or something like this? 

Oct 11, 2016 at 5:00:02 PM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
The Asian MD set is a bit murky. The total number of releases is not well-established and it is growing any time a new title is "discovered". There are also a few different styles of Asian MD releases. The ones with the gold logo are most famous. There are others that look pretty similar to a UK release, but the cartridge is different. Others have a yellow "Asian Version" sticker.

When I collected them (all sold now except for Sonic 3 and two Mega Games titles) I mostly got them through eBay. I'd search eBay.com with a worldwide search and I'd use "advanced settings" to only show results from a specific country. The main country I'd target was Thailand. I also turned up some good games from Singapore and Hong Kong. For Hong Kong I think it was www.ebay.com.hk..." target="_blank">www.ebay.com.hk... to find the sellers and listings.

Here are three sellers I'll highlight
Thailand: getdomain (use ebay.co.uk to best find his listings)
Singapore: explore263
Hong Kong: jayhui1986 (I think you'll need to use www.ebay.com.hk)

Asian releases are fun to collect, but I don't think it is possible to get a "complete" set.

The other main advice I would offer would be to check often European eBay sites. There are plenty of Asian releases that come up in France (and probably other countries like Italy) that aren't labeled as Asian MD and are just sold as if they were regular Mega Drive games.

Oct 11, 2016 at 5:16:51 PM
ViKiNg80 (2)
< Neff >
Russian Federation
Awesome! Thank you for valuable information.
I knew getdomain seller, but i l will search for others.

I check european ebay sometimes, but it's difficult to search for asian games, because it was the same Pal Mega Drive as in Europe.
So, i just have to use my eyes  

As i understand - all asian games use Japanese cases without hangtab?

Oct 11, 2016 at 5:45:01 PM
Tenchi723 (0)
(Tom ) < Alex Kidd >
Minnesota
Excluding Japanese releases, are there any interesting exclusives? I know of Shui Hu Feng Yun Zhuan a.k.a. Water Margin but any others worth checking out?

-------------------------
Now Playing: Valkyria Chronicles
Recently Completed: Inside, Tembo the Badass Elephant, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team

Oct 11, 2016 at 6:16:19 PM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
Originally posted by: ViKiNg80

Awesome! Thank you for valuable information.
I knew getdomain seller, but i l will search for others.

I check european ebay sometimes, but it's difficult to search for asian games, because it was the same Pal Mega Drive as in Europe.
So, i just have to use my eyes  

As i understand - all asian games use Japanese cases without hangtab?
Most use a Japanese case without a hangtab.  I think the case for Virtua Racing has a hangtab.  In addition, the Konami Asian releases have Konami cases with hangtabs.  I've seen at least one or two releases that had a hangtab as well - these are ones in which everything was exactly the same as a European release, except that the cart was Asian/Japanese style.

Oct 11, 2016 at 6:18:57 PM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
Originally posted by: Tenchi723

Excluding Japanese releases, are there any interesting exclusives? I know of Shui Hu Feng Yun Zhuan a.k.a. Water Margin but any others worth checking out?
Asian Mega Drive games are games that were licensed by Sega and released in countries in Asia that weren't Japan or Korea.  The game that you reference is an unlicensed Taiwanese game.  So pretty much every Asian release is one that was also released in other region.  The only exception is Mega Games 10, which is the same as Genesis 6-Pak, but with 4 additional games on it.  Just a compilation with no unique games added or anything.

Oct 11, 2016 at 6:27:36 PM
Tenchi723 (0)
(Tom ) < Alex Kidd >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: supergamboy

Originally posted by: Tenchi723

Asian Mega Drive games are games that were licensed by Sega and released in countries in Asia that weren't Japan or Korea.  The game that you reference is an unlicensed Taiwanese game.  So pretty much every Asian release is one that was also released in other region.  The only exception is Mega Games 10, which is the same as Genesis 6-Pak, but with 4 additional games on it.  Just a compilation with no unique games added or anything.
Oh cool! I had no idea that was a thing! Learn something new everyday.  

Now Playing: Valkyria Chronicles
Recently Completed: Inside, Tembo the Badass Elephant, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team

Oct 11, 2016 at 6:29:36 PM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
The gold logo ones especially look pretty cool! Those releases included a manual in English and another in Chinese:

http://assemblergames.com/l/attac...

Edited: 10/11/2016 at 06:31 PM by supergamboy

Oct 12, 2016 at 2:41:16 PM
ViKiNg80 (2)
< Neff >
Russian Federation
Yes, gold logo looks great!
And there is an interesting mix of US/Euro art with some asian distinctiveness and Japaneese carts.

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:59:01 AM
fcgamer (87)

(Dave ) < Tom-Tom >
Pennsylvania
Do we have a list of these somewhere, and what sort of "Version" they are? I have Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 CIB. I don't care as much about Sega as Nintendo, but lately I've been keeping these if I find them for cheap.

-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus
Progress:  160 titles examined out of approximately 2000.

My blog: www.fcgamer.wordpress.com

Sale / Trade Thread (on Famicom World):  http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=13390.0

Oct 17, 2016 at 11:10:08 AM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
Guardiana.net is probably the best reference. Their database is kept up to date by the couple of collectors that I know that are actively buying and hunting for new Asian MD releases.

Oct 17, 2016 at 11:52:05 AM
Dyer60 (19)

< Neff >
Northern Ireland
Collecting Asian Mega Drive games is indeed a "murky" area! However it's a great grey area to collect I love it. I'm always turning up something new and for me finding someting that isn't well documented is more fun than going for a complete retail set.

I have quite a large collection, 50+ games and can safely say there are defiantly more than the 66 listed on Guardiana.net, I have a few that are but listed and will be helping to update the database of in the future.

It is a great resource for collectors so use that as your main source. Thing is there are so many different variants:

This will give you some idea!!!

As far as buying goes ebay is usually your best bet as supergamboy states those three sellers usually carry a few. It is a time consuming job as many releases are just PAL variants with Japanese shape carts.

You other option is to trade I always have a few doubles floating about, thing is not many people collect them so be prepared to wait a while.

I have actually found a few locally although I'm not sure how many would be stocked in stores in Russia.

Good luck with the quest, feel free to drop me a PM if you need some help.

Edited: 10/17/2016 at 11:58 AM by Dyer60

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:33:47 AM
ViKiNg80 (2)
< Neff >
Russian Federation
Wow, great collection!
Thanks for posting, this photos will help for sure!

Just started to collect Asian copies, so i have not so much copies to trade, only Golden Axe III for now  

There is very few copies of asian games to find here is Russia, it's because most of Sega games here back in the days was pirated copies, and others - Genesis and European PAL, despite Sega consoles sold here was mostly Asian PAL.

Oct 19, 2016 at 2:37:42 PM
fcgamer (87)

(Dave ) < Tom-Tom >
Pennsylvania
@Dyer60: Your Sonic 2 and mine are different, based on the spines. Could you take a pic of the front of yours, so I could compare? I could do the same. Thanks!

-----

Sale / Trade Thread (on Famicom World):  http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=13390.0

Oct 19, 2016 at 5:44:13 PM
Dyer60 (19)

< Neff >
Northern Ireland
Originally posted by: tracker465

@Dyer60: Your Sonic 2 and mine are different, based on the spines. Could you take a pic of the front of yours, so I could compare? I could do the same. Thanks!
Yep here we go:

Oct 19, 2016 at 8:09:31 PM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
Nice! I love those UK style Asian releases with the Japanese-style carts. I think I've seen Sonic the Hedgehog but not Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

Surely you've got the more common one though, right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SEGA-...

From what I can tell, that release has the two manuals that would have come with gold logo releases (as shown in the auction from getdomain), but it also had another manual that matched the cover art, for three total manuals. Here is one I sold a little while ago that had two of the three manuals:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sonic-the...

Oct 20, 2016 at 12:14:57 AM
fcgamer (87)

(Dave ) < Tom-Tom >
Pennsylvania
Yeah, there should be three manuals I guess, unless every set had two. Mine is like the two posted by supergamboy above. Mine has one manual from each auction picture, but is (sadly) missing the Chinese version manual.

-----

Oct 20, 2016 at 12:15:08 AM
fcgamer (87)

(Dave ) < Tom-Tom >
Pennsylvania
Thanks for the pics Dyer!

-----

Oct 20, 2016 at 4:38:27 AM
Dyer60 (19)

< Neff >
Northern Ireland

Nice! I love those UK style Asian releases with the Japanese-style carts. I think I've seen Sonic the Hedgehog but not Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

From what I can tell, that release has the two manuals that would have come with gold logo releases (as shown in the auction from getdomain), but it also had another manual that matched the cover art, for three total manuals. Here is one I sold a little while ago that had two of the three manuals:

Yeh it's a great release this one, not on Guardianna.

Yes should have 3 but most come with 2.

Sorts of leads me to believe there were 2 different releases one with an added manual. Who knows!!!

Yes I have that release as well, just cut if off the end of the photo.

Edited: 10/20/2016 at 04:39 AM by Dyer60

Oct 20, 2016 at 4:54:10 AM
fcgamer (87)

(Dave ) < Tom-Tom >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Dyer60

Yeh it's a great release this one, not on Guardianna.

Yes should have 3 but most come with 2.

Sorts of leads me to believe there were 2 different releases one with an added manual. Who knows!!!

Yes I have that release as well, just cut if off the end of the photo.

I'm not a Sega expert by any means, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the manual was an extra for some and not included in others.  

-----

Oct 20, 2016 at 9:07:46 AM
Dyer60 (19)

< Neff >
Northern Ireland
Yep I'm sure that is the case.

Some Mega Games releases only came with 1 of the three game manuals it should have shipped with. I have opened new old stock releases to prove it.

The distributer in the Far East shipped them separately!

Had a good chat with the owner of a store in Thailand and he confirmed.

Oct 20, 2016 at 9:56:15 AM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States

Neat info.  Perhaps that's why I was able to explictly request from getdomain that he include all 3 manuals, but if I had just bought the item it might have only had one manual, i.e. he has them but they aren't in the case so he might not by default include them

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:31:49 AM
Dyer60 (19)

< Neff >
Northern Ireland

Neat info.  Perhaps that's why I was able to explictly request from getdomain that he include all 3 manuals, but if I had just bought the item it might have only had one manual, i.e. he has them but they aren't in the case so he might not by default include them

I suspect that is exactly what would have happened.

The shop I was in had spare manuals everywhere! 

If you check Getdomains auctions for Mega Games 3 you will see only 1 manual.

Edited: 10/20/2016 at 10:32 AM by Dyer60

Nov 15, 2016 at 12:21:04 PM
ViKiNg80 (2)
< Neff >
Russian Federation
I bought this bundle of asian games recently
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Sega-Mega-Drive-Spiele-games-Asian...

What do you think about Taz-Mania?
Is it legit?
I could not find any information about this release at Guardiana or Segaretro.

I did not receive games yet, but photos is rather detailed

Nov 15, 2016 at 12:26:32 PM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States