Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Virgin Games: A Genesis Collecting Guide Pictoral guide to every Virgin Games release published on the Genesis

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:31:26 AM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
Similar to some of the other guides I’ve put together, this time I focused on releases that Virgin Games published.  Virgin also developed a handful of games that other publishers released but for this guide, I’ll just be focusing on the ones for which Virgin Games was the publisher.

There are 17 Virgin Games releases for the Genesis, three of which also have cardboard releases, for a total of 20 games to collect.  I’ve listed the releases below in alphabetical order, and added each release year in parenthesis (from Wikipedia).

1) Caesar’s Palace (1993) + Cardboard release [slide]
2) Chi Chi’s Pro Golf (1993)
3) Chuck Rock (1991)
4) Chuck Rosk II: Son of Chuck (1993)
5) Cool Spot (1992)
6) Cyber-Cop (1992)
7) Dune: The Battle for Arrakis (1993) 
8) Global Gladiators (1992)
9) Jammit (1994)
10) Jungle Book (1994) + Cardboard release [slide]
11) Lion King (1994) + Cardboard release [slide]
12) Muhammad Ali Heavyweight Boxing (1992)
13) Out of This World (1992)
14) Robocop Versus The Terminator (1993)
15) The Terminator (1992)
16) Tyrants: Fight Through Time (1992)
17) World Trophy Soccer (1992)

Here are all of the releases, in alphabetical order.

Caesar’s Palace got two releases.  The clamshell release has no inserts and a color manual.  The cardboard release has a Majesco Sales GENESIS Classics registration card and the manual is in black and white.

These next four releases all include no additional inserts.

Chi Chi’s Pro Tour Golf, Global Gladiators, Tyrants, and World Trophy Soccer

The following five releases all include a Virgin Games Product Registration card and a Muhammad Ali Poster.  A couple of the releases include additional inserts, which I’ll note below.

Chuck Rock, Cool Spot, Cyber-Cop, Muhammad Ali, and Out of This World

Chuck Rock also included a patents card.

Muhammad Ali also included a Muhammad Ali sports card.

Out of This World has an epilepsy warning card.

Chuck Rock II and The Terminator both include a Virgin Games Product Registration card but no poster.  The registration cards are the same as the ones in the above listed five games.

Dune includes an “are we having fun yet?” poster and a Virgin Games registration card.

The registration card packed in with Dune is different from any of the other Virgin Games registration cards.

Jungle Book includes the “are we having fun yet?” poster and a Virgin Games registration card.  The cardboard releases includes a Majesco Sales GENESIS Classics registration card.

The registration card for Jungle Book is a bit smaller than the most prevalent registration card.

The clamshell release of Lion King includes four inserts (three pictured).  The cardboard releases includes a Majesco Sales GENESIS Classics registration card. 

Gargoyles insert, Lion King guide book offer, and Lion King registration card.  Jungle Book poster not pictured.
Here is an image pulled from an eBay listing that shows all of the inserts included with the clamshell release.

Lion King has its own registration card.  The card specifically mentions Lion King and in the bottom left it has the number LK-2000.

Jammit includes only the CD Music Sampler and no other inserts.

Robocop Versus The Terminator has its own poster and registration card.

The registration card is slightly different from the “standard” Virgin Games registration card.

Open to any comments and input! There may be some mistakes in the guide as it was largely self-researched as I tried to complete my collection. Always glad to make it better  

Edited: 10/03/2016 at 01:00 PM by supergamboy

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:32:04 AM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
I want to use this second post to touch on games that Virgin developed but didn't publish.  For now I'll just feature Aladdin.

Aladdin had three releases on the Genesis: two in clamshell and one cardboard release.

The main difference between the two clamshell releases is that one has a color manual and the other has a black and white manual.

I scoured the boxes and identified one difference between the art, on the back of the box.

As far as inserts are concerned, I know that the black and white manual release came with a Sega Visions Reg Card [WA 11] and an Eternal Champions poster.  I'm not sure what inserts (if any) the color manual release included.  There is a Genesis insert promoting the Aladdin game.  That insert was packaged with Sonic Spinball.  I doubt that it would have been included with Aladdin, but I've included a picture below for reference.

The cardboard box release includes only a Majesco reg card.

Edited: 10/18/2016 at 11:03 PM by supergamboy

Oct 3, 2016 at 7:47:12 AM
Giancarlogb (3)

< Sketch Turner >
Amazing!!...thanks for the guide!

Oct 3, 2016 at 12:10:23 PM
ViKiNg80 (4)
< Neff >
Russian Federation
Great guide, thank you!
Did not even noticed, that Jungle Book reg card is smaller...

Oct 5, 2016 at 9:20:21 PM
5200man (0)

< Tom-Tom >
What about Spot Goes to Hollywood? Acclaim's logo is emblazoned all over the box but Virgin's name is on the box too in the legal area. It says Acclaim handled marketing and distribution.

The Mega Drive box art shows Virgin's logo everywhere with no mention of Acclaim.

Because of these two pieces of evidence, I claim Virgin handled paying for development. I believe they paid for marketing and distribution in Europe as well while Acclaim handled those two duties in the US market.

I think the list needs at least one more title.

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:45:02 PM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
Any of these guides I put together only pertain to US releases. The 17 game list I put together covers all of the releases for which Virgin was the publisher in the United States.

In the specific case of Spot Goes to Hollywood, Acclaim obtained the rights from Virgin to publish that title in the US (Virgin Interactive published the game in PAL territories):

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/AC...

There are other games that Virgin worked on that it did not publish. For example Virgin developed Aladdin, which was published by Sega. Virgin also developed Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story, but like Spot Goes to Hollywood, Acclaim bought the rights to publish it in the US. Apparently Virgin was also involved in the development of Pinocchio, which was then published by THQ in the US and by Disney Interactive in PAL territories. Virgin also developed a handful of titles that were PAL exclusive.

Edited: 10/06/2016 at 09:47 AM by supergamboy

Oct 18, 2016 at 11:04:02 PM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:22:19 AM
ViKiNg80 (4)
< Neff >
Russian Federation
Thank you for covering Aladdin game. I was sure, that there is some inserts in color manual version, if there is not - it's easier to find suitable copy!

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:24:13 AM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
I would guess that there are inserts for the Aladdin release for a color manual, but I'm not sure what they are

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:50:49 AM
ViKiNg80 (4)
< Neff >
Russian Federation
Originally posted by: supergamboy

I would guess that there are inserts for the Aladdin release for a color manual, but I'm not sure what they are
What about Aladdin VHS advertising?

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/GOQAAOSw8w1YBnf6/s-l1600.jpg

Edited: 10/19/2016 at 12:51 AM by ViKiNg80

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:59:33 AM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
Ah yes, that's the insert I was thinking of. I didn't have in my extras pile so I couldn't provide a picture. Certainly possible that came with the clamshell with the color manual

Oct 19, 2016 at 1:51:34 AM
ViKiNg80 (4)
< Neff >
Russian Federation
And "welcome to next level" poster and a reg card from this photo? Do you think that came with color manual version? I think i saw this complect in couple of ebay listings.

Oct 19, 2016 at 7:57:41 AM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
I don't think those other inserts came with the game, since those same inserts are with the b/w manual release. Plus, I usually see those inserts with later release games that happen to often have b/w manuals, like Shadowrun.