Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Namco: A Genesis Collecting Guide Pictoral guide to every Namco release for the Genesis

Jul 10, 2016 at 2:22:28 AM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
This guide took a bit longer to put together than I expected, but now that it's done the end result was quite satisfying.  It wasn't until the very end that I looked at everything in chronological release order and saw some neat patterns emerge.  This is the third "guide" I've done - check my signature for links to my guides on Konami releases and Sega Club games.

So for the Genesis, there are 12 Namco releases, one of which has 3 separate releases, resulting in 14 total games to collect.  Here I'll list them in roughly release order.  I used the release years from Wikipedia so it may not be perfect and I may not know which game was released first in any given year, but how I've presented it the patterns line up nicely anyway.

1. Phelios (1990)
2. Burning Force (1990)
3. Marvel Land (1991)
4. Quad Challenge (1991)
5. Powerball (1991)
6. Rolling Thunder 2 (1991)
7. Splatterhouse 2 (1992)
8. Rolling Thunder 3 (1993)
9. Splatterhouse 3 (1993)
10. Pac-Attack
11. Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures (has 3 separate releases) (1994)
12. Weaponlord (1995)

Here are all the games together, in what roughly should be chronological release order.

1. Phelios (1990)

When Phelios was released, Namco did not yet have its own custom clamshells.  I've never seen Phelios with a registration card.

2. Burning Force (1991)
3. Marvel Land (1991)
4. Quad Challenge (1991)

These three games all include the same registration card with the text "Join Our Fan Club and Receive a Free Poster"

Also of note, Burning Force also did not have a custom Namco clamshell case.  From Marvel Land and after Namco releases began using their own clamshells, but from what I've gathered Phelios and Burning Force still used Sega-branded clamshells.

5. Powerball (1991)

With the release of Powerball, the registration card changes slightly.  The back is still the same as Burning Force, Marvel Land, and Quad Challenge, but the front reads "Join Our Fan Club" and no longer offers a free poster.

6. Rolling Thunder 2 (1991)

Rolling Thunder 2 appears to be the last Namco release to have a "generic" registration card.  The registration card is unique to Rolling Thunder 2 but doesn't list the name of the game on the registration card itself.

7. Splatterhouse 2 (1992)

With the release of Splatterhouse 2, Namco games began getting custom registration cards for each game released.

8. Rolling Thunder 3 (1993)

With the release of Rolling Thunder 3, the registration cards began to shrink in size.

9. Splatterhouse 3 (1993)

10. Pac-Attack (1993)

I do not yet own a CIB copy of Pac-Attack with the registration card.  I have a sealed copy in my collection and was able to confirm CIB contents via an eBay auction.

11. Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures (1994)

Pac-Man 2 has 3 releases for the Genesis.  The first release has a hologram on the cover and is in a Namco case.  The second release comes in an Acclaim case.  The second release may have fewer inserts than the first release, but I am not positive - this is the one game with contents of which I am not certain. The third release is a Majesco cardboard re-release.  My copy is sealed, but it should have only a Majesco Sales Inc. generic registration card.

[UPDATE]: It has come to my attention that there is another (fourth) release of this game.  The fourth release comes in a wide-style Acclaim clamshell case and the cartridge shell is also Acclaim branded and says "Assembled in Mexico" on the back.  I've added pictures as one of the respones to this thread.  This release has a Ballistic sticker on the back, so I would assume that this release includes the Majesco Sales Inc. registration card.

The second release of Pac-Man 2 does not have a hologram on the cover.  In addition the G.A. rating of the game now has a red colored background.  The registration card is identical to the one for the first release.  

With the release of Pac-Man 2, the registration cards rotate and are read vertically instead of horizontally.

As mentioned above, the second release uses an Acclaim case (just like later Konami rereleases also used Acclaim clamshells; however Konami used black sticker to cover up the Acclaim logos.  Not pictured: the back of the cart for the first release reads Made in Japan, while the back of the second release says Assembled in Mexico (but is a Sega cart shell and not an Acclaim cart shell).  The cardboard box release uses a Sega cartridge shell and was Assembled in Mexico.  There may be a fourth release of this game. I am still investigating the variant and will update if I have more details.

12. Weaponlord (1995)

Namco's final release for the Genesis was in a cardboard box.

As I did not photograph a Namco case earlier, here is one for reference:

Except for Phelios and Burning Force (Sega cases) and the second release of Pac-Man 2, every clamshell Namco release should use this style case.

Lastly, here are all the games lined up in the chronological release order I've outlined above.  You'll notice a very orderly progression of the spine designs:

Edited: 12/11/2016 at 10:35 AM by supergamboy

Jul 10, 2016 at 5:13:19 AM
ViKiNg80 (4)
< Neff >
Russian Federation
Thank you supergamboy!
Your guides always VERY useful!

Jul 10, 2016 at 2:34:17 PM
maelwys (115)
(Mike W) < Bio-Hazard Battler >
Pennsylvania
Dude, this is awesome. I'm sure my cases have been swapped a million times and half the reg cards are from the wrong releases. I'll have to check them out now and measure my disappointment!  

Jul 10, 2016 at 4:23:00 PM
The Age of Genesis (15)
< Tom-Tom >
Wonderful guide, thank you, your guides are truly an asset to the community.

Jul 10, 2016 at 6:23:36 PM
beef (1)
< Tom-Tom >
Nice guide. I forgot Namco made Genesis games. I don't remember any Saturn games by namco being the main reason.

Jul 11, 2016 at 2:34:40 PM
mydogsrule (156)

(Jonathan Smith) < Alex Kidd >
Tennessee
Great guide!! Thanks

Jul 14, 2016 at 10:30:45 AM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
Thanks, all! If anyone has input for a next "guide" let me know. I've thought about Virgin Games a little bit, but I still have some gaps, so it might end up leaning more toward a thread soliciting input.

Jul 21, 2016 at 6:15:01 PM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States

Aug 7, 2016 at 9:03:41 AM
ViKiNg80 (4)
< Neff >
Russian Federation
Originally posted by: supergamboy

Thanks, all! If anyone has input for a next "guide" let me know. I've thought about Virgin Games a little bit, but I still have some gaps, so it might end up leaning more toward a thread soliciting input.
How about Taito games?   Their games are kinda uncommon.

Aug 7, 2016 at 10:08:51 AM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
Originally posted by: ViKiNg80

Originally posted by: supergamboy

How about Taito games?   Their games are kinda uncommon.

Taito games might need to be a collaboration. I've only seen Taito games with the Taito Wave insert. Some have it and some don't. However, it came to my attention that there are two different Taito Wave inserts, each one features slightly different games. But before I knew there were different ones I think I moved some between games.

Off hand the ones I know that have an insert (though I'm not sure which inserts are which): Cadash Saint Sword Runark

My spreadsheet might list others.

Aug 7, 2016 at 1:02:49 PM
ViKiNg80 (4)
< Neff >
Russian Federation
I have only 2 Taito games now - Saint Sword and Flintstones.
I knew, that Saint Sword comes with Taito Wave insert (but i have no one), but what about Flintstones?
There are not much copies on ebay and there no Taito insert. I have no any inserts with my copy...

Aug 7, 2016 at 11:18:13 PM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
So in total there are 11 Taito releases for the Genesis. I've listed all the games, their release year, and whether or not it has the Taito Wave insert. I have the Taito Wave marked for four releases on my spreadsheet.

1) Cadash - 1992 - Yes
2) Chase HQ II - 1992 - Maybe
3) The Flintstones - 1993 - No
4) Growl - Nov. 1991 - Yes
5) Hit The Ice - 1992 - I don't think so
6) Rastan Saga II - 1990 - No
7) Sagaia - 1990 - No
8) Saint Sword - June 27, 1991 - Yes
9) Space Invaders 91 - 1991 - I don't think so
10) Thunder Fox - 1990 - No
11) Ultimate Qix - 1991 - Yes

The four release that I've seen with the Taito Wave insert were released in 1991 and 1992. I don't have accurate enough release dates to determine if there was a start and end date to the inclusion of those inserts. The only other game that I think might have a Taito Wave insert Chase HQ II. My Taito games are in storage, so I can't look at the individual inserts. However, seeing as the 4 games I have with the insert were released in 1991 and 1992 and that there are two different inserts, I would guess that the 1991 games got one insert and the 1992 games got the other insert, but that's just an unfounded guess, after all, calendar year is just a number and they could easily change an insert mid-year.

Dec 11, 2016 at 10:31:16 AM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
With the help of RingTossGenesis, I've identified a fourth release of Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures.

The clamshell case is the wide-style Acclaim case. The cartridge shell is from Acclaim and says "Assembled in Mexico."  This release has a Ballistic sticker on the back, so I would assume that this release includes the Majesco Sales Inc. registration card.

Edited: 12/11/2016 at 10:35 AM by supergamboy