Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Konami: A Genesis Collecting Guide Pictures galore, a guide to every Konami release for the Genesis

Feb 19, 2016 at 11:41:03 PM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
A little while ago I put together a “guide” for Sega Club releases.  I thought I would follow it up with a collecting guide for Konami games released for the Sega Genesis.  This project has taken me a little longer than I expected as I had overlooked a few variants.  In going back through my games I also realized that one or two of my games needed completing, which delayed the process.  A few of my games are sealed, so I may end up requesting some pictures from other users to fill in a few “gaps.”

For collecting purposes, I count 14 main Konami releases for the Sega Genesis.  This number is debatable and I’ll name the other games and briefly spell out my reasoning after the list.
  1. Animaniacs [1994] – 4 total releases
  2. Castlevania: Bloodlines [1994] – 3 total releases
  3. Contra: Hard Corps [1994] – 3 total releases
  4. Double Dribble: The Playoff Edition [1994] – 1 release
  5. Lethal Enforcers [1993] (Big Box) – 1 release
  6. Lethal Enforcers II: Gunfighters [1994] – 1 release
  7. Rocket Knight Adventures [1993] – 1 release (two print-runs with UPC change)
  8. Sparkster [1994] – 1 release
  9. Sunset Riders [1992] – 1 release
  10. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist [1992] – 1 release
  11. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters [1993] – 2 total releases
  12. Tiny Toon Adventures: ACME All-Stars [1994] – 2 total releases
  13. Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster’s Hidden Treasure [1993] – 4 releases
  14. Zombies Ate My Neighbors [1993] – 1 release
Including all variants, there are 26 total Konami releases for the Genesis.

Additional releases:

1. Junction [1990] – developed by Konami for arcades but licensed to Micronet who ported and published the game for the Genesis 
    This game has one release.  A sealed copy was opened by galacticlint and it contained no additional inserts
  2. Frogger [1998] – developed by Konami in 1981 but published by Hasbro Interactive / Majesco Sales Inc. (no prominent Konami branding)
    This game has one release.  It includes the standard Majesco Sales Inc. registration card.
The Main Releases:
These five games all include the same inserts: a non-game-specific red/white Konami registration card and a “16 Bits Coming At You head On!” foldable poster.

Rocket Knight Adventures, Sunset Riders, Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster’s Hidden Treasure, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Hyperstone Heist

I've recently realized that although these registration cards do not state the name of the game on them, they do have identifying numbers in the bottom right corner that line up to each separate game.  Check out the second post in the thread for more information on registration cards.

Castlevania Bloodlines and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters include a game-specific red/white registration card and a “How Many Hits Can you Take?” Lethal Enforcers poster:

The registration card for Castlevania: Bloodlines is slightly larger than the one for Tournament Fighters.  The registration card for Castlevania: Bloodlines has the numbers 16005 right corner.  Tournament Fighters has the numbers 16006.

Animaniacs and Double Dribble: The Playoff Edition include game-specific red/white registration cards. 

I do not believe these games included the Lethal Enforcers poster.  The registration card for Animaniacs has the numbers 16014 in the bottom right corner. I currently only own a factory sealed copy of Double Dribble and can't check the registration card for its identification numbers.

These next four games include only a game-specific white registration card.

Contra: Hard Corps, Lethal Enforcers II: Gun Fighters, Sparkster, Tiny Toon Adventures: ACME All-Stars

The registration card for Contra: Hard Corps has the identification numbers 16011.  Sparkster has the numbers 16012. My copies of Gunfighters and ACME All-Stars are sealed.

Lastly, here is the Big Box release for the first Lethal Enforcers game:

Lethal Enforcers includes a game-specific red/white registration card and a "How Many Hits Can You Take? Lethal Enforcers poster.  The inserts are in the same style as Castlevania and Bloodlines, I just listed Lethal Enforcers separately because of the big box.

Variants and Re-Releases:
Konami re-released many of its games either under the Konami Classics label or as cardboard releases (or both!). 

The Konami Classics games were pretty similar in appearance to the original releases but included the word “Classics” in small print under the Konami logo.  Four games were released in clamshells with the Konami Classics logo.  Each game includes a white non-game-specific registration card.

Animaniacs, Contra: Hard Corps, Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure, and Tiny Toon Adventures: ACME All-Stars

The Classics logo for Buster's Hidden Treasure is slightly different, with a large, cursive letter "C."

These registration cards say 16000 in the bottom right corner.  

These games were assembled in Mexico and utilize recycled Acclaim cases.  The corners of the hang-tabs are sharp.  Inside the clamshells and on the backs of the carts, the Acclaim logos are covered with black stickers.

Konami also released two of its Konami Classics games as cardboard releases.  Animaniacs and Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure each got two cardboard releases: fliptop and slide box.

All four of these cardboard releases (and every cardboard Konami release) contain only a "Majesco Sales GENESIS Classics" registration card.

These releases were assembled in Mexico, like the clamshell Konami Classics releases, but the carts are not reused Acclaim carts.

Castlevania: Bloodlines received two cardboard releases, both slide box and fliptop.

Both releases include only a "Majeso Sales GENESIS Classics" registration card.

Contra: Hard Corps and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters also received cardboard releases.

Both games include only a "Majeso Sales GENESIS Classics" registration card.

Group Pictures:
These images aim to show side-by-side comparisons of any game that had more than 1 release.

After posting this, I'll likely go back through the post and edit and tweak it to find whichever format is most visually appealing and best displays the information. Let me know if there's anything I missed!

Edited: 02/22/2016 at 10:40 PM by supergamboy

Feb 19, 2016 at 11:41:42 PM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
Each Konami registration card appears to have a 5 digit identification number in the bottom right corner, in the format of 160xx.  That 5 digit identification number matches the last 5 digits of the UPC for each game:

16000 - Sunset Riders
16001 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Hyperstone Heist
16002 - Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure
16003 - Rocket Knight Adventures
16004 - Zombies Ate My Neighbors
16005 - Castlevania: Bloodlines
16006 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters
16007 - Lethal Enforcers
16008 - N/A
16009 - Double Dribble: The Playoff Edition
16010 - Tiny Toon Adventures: ACME All-Stars
16011 - Contra: Hard Corps
16012 - Sparkster
16013 - Lethal Enforcers II: Gunfighers
16014 - Animaniacs

16000 was also used for the generic white registration card for Konami Classics clamshell releases, as noted in the first post.  There does not appear to be a game with the UPC 16008.  As the numbers range from 0-14 (15 numbers), but with one missing, it matches my list in the first post that there are 14 Konami releases for the Sega Genesis.

Edited: 03/02/2016 at 12:34 AM by supergamboy

Feb 20, 2016 at 1:03:14 AM
SpaceFlea (44)
(Dan J) < Seven Force >
Oklahoma
Rocket Knight Adventures has two releases. One has a short UPC and a the other a long UPC (two extra digits). Everything else seemed to be the same when I compared them. I sold my long UPC variant (so I can't provide pics), and it seems to be the less common of the two.

I did however find auctions with both variants:

Short UPC
Long UPC

-------------------------
Be Attitude For Gains...

Feb 20, 2016 at 1:23:47 AM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
Originally posted by: SpaceFlea

Rocket Knight Adventures has two releases. One has a short UPC and a the other a long UPC (two extra digits). Everything else seemed to be the same when I compared them. I sold my long UPC variant (so I can't provide pics), and it seems to be the less common of the two.

I did however find auctions with both variants:

Short UPC
Long UPC
Neat! Thanks, Dan! As that's more of a print-run change than a full-fledged variant, I had never noticed it.

The copy in my collection is the Long UPC:

I recently bought a copy of Rocket Knight Adventures to acquire an extra red/white registration card.  It appears that the copy I bought (and have now already sold) was the Short UPC release. Luckily it's out of my hand, haha! Otherwise, I'd probably feel obligated to hang onto it, however minor the difference.  The registration card for the Short UPC release had the identification number 16003 in the bottom right corner, which matches the identification number on the registration card for the Long UPC release, though of course, I can't be absolutley certain that the information is correct.

Here is a side-by-side of the two different UPCs, courtesy of dballin:

Edited: 02/20/2016 at 11:12 AM by supergamboy

Feb 20, 2016 at 10:55:09 AM
dballin (22)
(Dave Balls) < Dr. Robotnik >
Rhode Island
Ask and you shall receive. Turns out I had the short UPC sitting in a stack of doubles I was gonna sell once I ever got around to it so here's both at once.

https://imgur.com/teiMqUO...

Feb 20, 2016 at 11:10:59 AM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
Nice, updated! That dirty water stain will forever be immortalized in this thread.

EDIT: OH! The last 5 digits of the UPC are 16003!! Matching the identification numbers in the bottom right of the registration cards. That makes perfect sense. Shit now I'm off to check the UPCs of all of the other Konami games.

EDIT 2: I've gone back and editted my second post with all of the updated identification numbers/UPCs.  In additional, ALL of my Konami games have the long format UPC.  From that I presume that the long UPC is the original print-run.  And for Rocket Knight Adventures, I would guess that the shorter UPC is from a second printing.  I wonder if any other Konami games got an additional printing that changed the UPC.

Edited: 02/20/2016 at 11:50 AM by supergamboy

Feb 20, 2016 at 11:55:11 AM
dballin (22)
(Dave Balls) < Dr. Robotnik >
Rhode Island
Yeah that's one of the reasons this copy is in the doubles pile haha. The missing front page of the manual and sharpie on the cart label aren't helping it win favor either.

Feb 22, 2016 at 8:19:34 AM
mydogsrule (153)

(Jonathan Smith) < Alex Kidd >
Tennessee
thanks for doing all this research!!

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:41:50 AM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
Originally posted by: mydogsrule

thanks for doing all this research!!
Thanks, man! I had been meaning to do this post for months, but I was always short 1 or 2 variants, and then I'd discover another one that I was unaware of or that a game in my collection was missing one of the registration cards.  When it was all said and done, it wasn't until after I posted that I made the connection between the numbers in the UPC and the registration cards, which was an awesome find!

Feb 22, 2016 at 4:35:55 PM
Kobun Heat (53)

(Chris Kohler) < Flicky >
California
Great work here. I'm not seeing any info about Junction being "published" by Konami, though. The Wikipedia entry says that but it would seem to be in error. Konami made the arcade game, but Micronet licensed the rights, so as to create and then publish the home versions worldwide.

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:41:11 PM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
Originally posted by: Kobun Heat

Great work here. I'm not seeing any info about Junction being "published" by Konami, though. The Wikipedia entry says that but it would seem to be in error. Konami made the arcade game, but Micronet licensed the rights, so as to create and then publish the home versions worldwide.
Yeah, I think I had referenced Wikipedia. Thanks for the catch. I've updated the first post based on your information cross-referenced at http://segaretro.org/Junction...

Feb 25, 2016 at 1:25:20 PM
Philosoraptor (51)
< Sketch Turner >
Texas
Woah! This is immensely helpful, especially the bits about the reg cards and posters. It's so hard to find information about this stuff. Thanks, Supergamboy!

Mar 1, 2016 at 10:54:17 PM
linkloz (136)

(Geoff P) < Flicky >
Ontario
You mentioned that you hadn't seen a Sunset Riders card, supergamboy. I figured i should post to mention that i have one and it is 16000 as you predicted.

Mar 2, 2016 at 12:33:34 AM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
Originally posted by: linkloz

You mentioned that you hadn't seen a Sunset Riders card, supergamboy. I figured i should post to mention that i have one and it is 16000 as you predicted.
Awesome, thanks!

Yeah when I was assembling the games 100% complete for my own collection, I didn't realize there were those minor differences in serial number between the registration cards, and I would buy extra copies of primarily Buster's Hidden Treasure and Rocket Knight Adventures to get extra reg cards, since those titles were more affordable.

I should probably go back through my collection and correct them. I think Sunset Riders is the only reg card I would need to get. Thanks again for the verification.

Mar 3, 2016 at 9:39:12 AM
retrokidd89 (53)
(Belmont ) < Sketch Turner >
New York
Great work, thank you for this.

Mar 14 at 12:52:55 PM
ViKiNg80 (2)
< Sketch Turner >
Russian Federation
Received my copy of Double Dribble today and here is the reg card.
Number on card does not match UPC code...

Mar 14 at 2:06:04 PM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
Neat find, my copy is sealed and I never documented the CIB copy I had. I'll be curious if all cards are like yours or if there are two different reg cards - thanks for sharing!

Mar 14 at 2:39:30 PM
ViKiNg80 (2)
< Sketch Turner >
Russian Federation
Originally posted by: supergamboy

I'll be curious if all cards are like yours or if there are two different reg cards 

Yes, i'm interested too. Maybe someone here has a copy with reg card? My copy includes “How Many Hits Can you Take?” poster by the way and all this looks like original 100% CIB cart. I dunno.