Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Canadian Sega Genesis: A Collecting Guide/Blog A game per post documenting (eventually) every Canadian release for the Genesis

Sep 16, 2016 at 5:39:02 PM
The Count (96)
(Grant X.) < Neff >
Minnesota
Here's a Canadian Flicky CIB for $94.16 shipped, which is too much, so maybe make an offer if you're interested:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-GENE...

Sep 16, 2016 at 9:32:02 PM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
Yeah, I'd value Flicky at about $40. As for me, I'm down to 9 more Canadian releases that I need. I'll have to post more in this thread soon!

[EDIT]: Oh, lol, that seller.  He listed it about 2 months ago and was trumping up how uber rare it was because it had a color manual and this and that and to message him if you've ever seen one. He was asking a few thousand or something, and I messaged him and was like yeah its a Canadian version and its worth about $35 to $40 and linked him to a completed sale. He never responded but continued to tout how amazing the item was.  I messaged him one time further also with no response. Just hope no one uninformed buys it - at least the seller has modified his description slightly

Edited: 09/16/2016 at 09:36 PM by supergamboy

Nov 4, 2016 at 10:41:13 AM
The Count (96)
(Grant X.) < Neff >
Minnesota
I don't know if anyone is actively collecting CAN games, but here's an Ayrton Senna Super Monaco GP II box and manual for $10.42 shipped:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-GENE...

Nov 4, 2016 at 10:54:36 AM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
Nice, I hope others start collecting a little bit from this set. I'm down to six more needed out of the 59 I've identified. I'll have to start posting pictures again soon (which I'm sure I keep saying)

If anyone has them, the last six I need are:

1) Dick Tracy
2) Fantasia
3) Fatal Labyrinth
4) Last Battle
5) Phantasy Star III
6) Talespin

Jan 01 at 11:41:44 AM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
22) Forgotten Worlds

Left: US release; Right: Canadian release
The covers appear nearly identical, but for the Canadian release the colors look sharper/brighter.

There appears to be a small difference in the "SEGA" logos, but its quite minor.

And lastly, here's a shot of just the Canadian release on its own:

23) Galaxy Force II

The Canadian release has a few of the obvious major indicators (SEGA logo, no Official Sega Seal, no borders)

The backs are quite different.

Back of the US release.  The US release hypes up the game more and makes more of a sales pitch.

For the Canadian release, the same text needs to be repeated in a few different languages, so its more brief, but takes a different approach.

The US release has more space on the back of the box, but it instead includes those kind of story details in the instruction manual.

Pretty similar spines

Canadian release on its own

Edited: 01/03/2017 at 08:59 PM by supergamboy

Jan 01 at 12:06:54 PM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
24) Ghostbusters

The cover art for the US release includes a large block of text about trademark and copyright information that is absent from the Canadian release

The backs of the covers have the standard differences.

Here is the back of the US release.

By comparison, you can specifically see the lines that were cut out to create the abbreviated game summary.

Canadian spine on top

Edited: 01/03/2017 at 09:00 PM by supergamboy

Jan 03 at 5:59:25 PM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
25) Ghouls and Ghosts

The covers of the releases appear to be identical

The backs of the games show the typical differences (no "1 Player" logo on Canadian release, lack of Sega of America address, different UPC, and multi-language)

Canadian release on top. The red text in the Canadian release is less vibrant than in the US release. It could be sunfading, but I doubt it. Usually the Canadian releases seem to have brighter colors, but overall I've seen enough color differences to believe this difference may be intentional

Edited: 01/03/2017 at 09:07 PM by supergamboy

Jan 03 at 6:09:14 PM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
26) Golden Axe

The covers of the releases appear to be identical, with the Canadian cover possibly having brighter colors

Deeper colored lettering for the Canadian release

27) Golden Axe II

Lettering on the Canadian spine is a tad larger

Edited: 01/11/2017 at 01:10 PM by supergamboy

Jan 03 at 9:20:02 PM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
28) Greendog the Beached Surfer Dude

I've noticed that US releases without the black-box style back don't have a UPC on the back and instead have it on the spine

Canadian release on top. US release has UPC on spine

29) Herzog Zwei

Colors seem brighter in the Canadian release

Slight difference in the Genesis logo

Canadian release on top

Edited: 01/04/2017 at 12:46 PM by supergamboy

Jan 03 at 11:50:09 PM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
I've added the full list of 59 games (in table format) to the first post of the thread, and I have gone back and added pictures for games I didn't have when I started this project (for example, the three games before Altered Beast, which used to be the first game covered in this thread).

As of this post, the thread is caught up, and will continue from the 30th game in the list, Home Alone.

Jan 04 at 12:45:40 PM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
30) Home Alone

Canadian version (on top) doesn't include the "Holy Cow!" text bubble

Canadian release on top. Note how the US release has the UPC on the spine

Edited: 01/04/2017 at 12:47 PM by supergamboy

Jan 05 at 2:59:51 PM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
31) Joe Montana Football

Canadian release on top

32) Joe Montana II Sports Talk Football

Canadian release on top without the teal background behind the text

Edited: 01/05/2017 at 03:00 PM by supergamboy

Jan 06 at 12:15:12 AM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
33) Kid Chameleon

Canadian version on top. The coloring of the game titles are drastically different

US release includes a "100+ levels 1850+ screens" burst not present on the Canadian release

Canadian release on top, with much different design/coloring for game title

Canadian release on its own.  I have seen Canadian releases of Kid Chamelon that had a Mega Drive cart instead of a Genesis cart. I'm inclined to view them both as correct, with one being a variant.

34) Last Battle
I haven't yet acquired this Canadian release to do a comparison

35) Mario Lemieux Hockey

Edited: 01/11/2017 at 01:12 PM by supergamboy

Jan 06 at 12:47:50 AM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
36) Mercs

Canadian release on top. Spine text is smaller

37) Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
My US release of Moonwalker is currently in storage, so I'll have to use an image pulled from eBay.

Here is the US release

The Canadian release removed the border around the cover art and added the "16-Bit Cartridge" text at the bottom.

Back of Canadian release

Canadian spine (appears to be the same as the US version, based on images online of the US release)

38) NFL Sports Talk Football '93 Starring Joe Montana

On the Canadian release the title is in a horizontal box, and on the US release its in a vertical box. The US version also has a "12 Megs" burst not present on the Canadian release

Canadian spine on top. The spines also use the separate horizontal and vertical text boxes. US version also has a UPC on the spine

I previously had two copies of this game sealed, the above of which I opened to document its contents.

Now that I've covered all three Joe Montana games, here are all the games togeher

Edited: 01/06/2017 at 12:48 AM by supergamboy

Jan 07 at 12:07:20 PM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
39) NHL All-Star "Match Des Etoiles" Hockey '95
This game is the only cardboard Canadian release.  It came out much later than all of the other Canadian releases and is a bit different. I count it as part of the Canadian set because of the English/French text and that there are two separate releases (US release and this "Canadian" release).  The release is different because it doesn't use the 69044 UPC and instead has a 10086 UPC used typically for US releases.

It turns out I've sold my US release of this game. So like with Moonwalker, I'll have to first showcase the US release using pictures from eBay.

US release front

US release back

Canadian release front

Canadian release back

For some reason, this barcode sticker was added.  This is not the typical US barcode or Canadian barcode (at least not the one used for early releases). Its also odd because the Canadian release already has a barcode on its side/spine.

Left side/spine of Canadian release.  Notice there is no French text and no barcode.  The box has a cardboard hangtab.

Right side/spine of Canadian release.  French text and UPC barcode.

I went ahead and opened up one of the two sealed copies I had:

40) Phantasy Star II

The covers are just about identical. The only minor difference is the Sega Genesis logo at the top. On the Canadian release the words "16-Bit Cartridge" have been added to the logo.

Even the backs are nearly the same. Phantasy Star II is one of the toughest Canadian releases to spot or find. The Canadian release doesn't have the Sega of America text and it doesn't have the "1 Player" logo.

Bottom of the US release with UPC

Bottom of the Canadian release with UPC

Canadian release on top
Small difference in the spines. No trademark on the spine for the Canadian release. Also has the different Genesis logo

What's even more tricky is that both the US release and the Canadian release have vertical "US-style" manuals.

Canadian manual on the right. Notice how there is no "TM" for Phantasy Star. In addition, there is no Genesis logo at all

Backs of the manuals. No reference to Sega of America on the Canadian manual. The US manual is copyright 1989 and the Canadian manual is copyright 1990

A small difference inside the manuals

41) Phantasy Star III
I haven't yet acquired the Canadian release of this game to do a side-by-side comparison with the US release

Edited: 01/08/2017 at 12:59 AM by supergamboy

Jan 07 at 2:48:01 PM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
42) Quackshot Starring Donald Duck

I've come across three different US versions of the game and one hybrid release, in addition to the Canadian release.
I'll touch on each of those briefly after my comparison of the US and Canadian releases.

Here are the three US releases
One of the releases of Quackshot (maybe the first release) included a sweepstakes to win a trip to Walt Disney World. You can see that release on the far left. When the contest ended, some of those art inserts were still used, so the sweepstakes logo was covered up with a Genesis sticker. And lastly, a more standard release with no contest logo or cover up.

Here is the contest version and the covered up one.

Both of those backs mention that the Treasure Hunt promotion ends on April 30, 1992.

The last release of Quackshot is a bit of a hybrid. It has a Genesis box, but a Mega Drive cart and a Mega Drive manual. Castle of Illusion also had a release like this, which I covered earlier in the thread.

Hybrid release on top (compared to the "standard" US release). As you can see the Genesis Seal of Quality logo has been tweaked/updated. So its not simply the exact same box art with new cart/manual.

Here is the standard release and the hybrid release side-by-side.

Edited: 01/07/2017 at 02:48 PM by supergamboy

Jan 10 at 12:33:13 AM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
43) Revenge of Shinobi

Cover art on US and Canadian releases appear identical

Canadian release on top. Canadian release has a Kanji character behind the title.

44) Shadow Dancer: Secret of Shinobi

Canadian release on top. The spines are fairly different. No trademark symbol on the Canadian release

Canadian release on its own. Apparently the Canadian release of Shadow Dancer used a Mega Drive cart. I bought it from a member on the forums and that's what I was told. So far its the only Canadian release of Shadow Dancer that I've come across. For Kid Chameleon, about half of the time I see the Canadian release it has a Mega Drive cartridge, so I'm inclined to think that Shadow Dancer may be similar

Edited: 01/10/2017 at 12:33 AM by supergamboy

Jan 10 at 12:41:12 PM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
45) Sonic the Hedgehog

I've identified four different Canadian releases of Sonic the Hedgehog: standard release, two Not For Resale variants, and one Canadian/Australian hybrid.

Sonic the Hedgehog is the most well-known of the Canadian releases because the cover is so drastically different from the US release, and thus easy to spot.

Canadian release on top

There are two Not for Resale (NFR) releases of Sonic the Hedgehog in Canada. One has blue text and the other has black text

This fourth release of Sonic the Hedgehog is a bit of a hybrid. The art insert is Canadian; however, the game was then subsequently released in Australia. The game uses an Ozisoft clamshell, Australian manual, and Mega Drive cart (made in Australia).

Perhaps it is debatable whether this release of Sonic the Hedgehog should count as Canadian or Australian. I wouldn't necessarily count it as part of a Canadian set, but its a legit variant and does use the Canadian insert, so I've showcased it here.

Edited: 01/10/2017 at 12:41 PM by supergamboy

Jan 10 at 3:47:09 PM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
46) Sonic the Hedgehog 2

The US release has an orange/yellow border around the cover art. The US release also has a unique pattern for its border, while the bottom of the Canadian version has the standard "black box" look.

Canadian release on top. US release uses the same design from cover, but Canadian release reverts to the more standard "black box" style.

47) Space Harrier II

The covers are virtually the same, but the image has been cropped and sized differently. On the Canadian release a full energy blast can be seen that is nearly off of the cover for the US release.

Canadian release on top. Colors seem brighter, and the spacing appears different, as well.

Edited: 01/10/2017 at 03:47 PM by supergamboy

Jan 11 at 11:51:56 AM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
48) Spider-Man

There is a 50% Off Marvel Comics logo on the US release that is absent from the Canadian release

Canadian release on top. Not too different. Black box grid is larger for the Canadian release.

49) Streets of Rage

The US release has a large "1 or 2 Players At Once" logo that is missing from the Canadian release

50) Strider

Huge "8 Mega Memory" logo on the US release that is absent from the Canadian release

For whatever reason, the Canadian release has a trademark logo but the US release does not

The US release includes the text "Stider is a licened trademark of Capcom, Inc." which is not included on the Canadian release

Canadian release on top. Game title on the Canadian release is much smaller, and gain the US release does not have the trademark logo but the Canadian release does.

Edited: 01/11/2017 at 10:37 PM by supergamboy

Jan 11 at 12:02:42 PM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
51) Super Monaco GP

Canadian release on top. Consistently from the cover to the spine, the Super Monaco GP title is much more red on the Canadian release and more orange for the US release

Canadian releaes on its own

52) Super Thunder Blade

The covers for both releases are just about identical

Canadian release on top

Edited: 01/11/2017 at 12:03 PM by supergamboy

Jan 11 at 12:13:31 PM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
53) Sword of Vermillion

Sword of Vermillion is a tough Canadian release to spot. It largely has the same cover as the US release, and the back cover isn't much different either.

The backs of the two Sword of Vermillion releases are nearly identical as well. The US release has a border that the Canadian release doesn't have. The Canadian release does not have the typical multi-language game summaries.

The Canadian release (top) does not use the "1 Player" logo present on the US release.

Canadian release on top. Both spines appear identical

Canadian release on its own. Note that Sword of Vermillion uses the same manual as the US release. It does not include the massive multi-language European Mega Drive manual.

54) TaleSpin
I have not yet acquired the Canadian release of TaleSpin to take side-by-side comparison pictures.

Edited: 01/11/2017 at 12:15 PM by supergamboy

Jan 11 at 12:34:19 PM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
55) Taz-Mania

Notice on the US release that isn't present on the Canadian release

Canadian release on top. US release has a UPC barcode on the spine

56) Thunder Force II

Canadian release on top. The two releases appear to use different shades of blue.

Edited: 01/11/2017 at 10:37 PM by supergamboy

Jan 11 at 12:45:21 PM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
57) ToeJam & Earl

Canadian release on top, title is a tad larger

58) Tommy Lasorda Baseball

Canadian release on top (no trademark logo)

Canadian release on its own.
I don't have the manual for this release. I am not sure what style it will be because this game was not released in Europe with the same name "Tommy Lasorda Baseball" - instead in Europe it was called Super League.

59) Wonder Boy in Monster World

Canadian release uses a more red font color (unless my US release is sunfaded)

Well, there you have it. I've added comparison photographs for every Canadian Genesis release in my collection. If I discover any additional games (beyond the 59), they will be added after this post. As I locate the 5 games I missing, I will add their photos and descriptions in the proper order for this thread, in which case I'll make a post to bump the thread and bring attention to the updates.

Edited: 01/11/2017 at 12:45 PM by supergamboy

Jan 24 at 11:09:48 PM
supergamboy (111)
< Funklord >
United States
I was looking at After Burner II today and noticed something interesting with the UPC. While the majority of the Canadian games use a UPC that begins 69044 (while US releases begin 10086), this Canadian After Burner II begins 10086, the same as a US release.