Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Sega Club: A Genesis Collecting Guide 9 games and one accessory (6 button controller)

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:23:40 PM
supergamboy (108)
< Funklord >
United States
SegaAge has been a bit slow recently, so I thought I'd start introducing some visual "guides" to some mini-sets in the collection.  After completing my CIB Genesis set I started to go back and make all of my games 100% complete and thought this might be a good opportunity to share my knowledge.

So first up, Sega Club games for the Genesis.  In total there are 9 games and one accessory (6 button controller).

I'll photograph each game and try to include a few notes/tips for each.  Here is a list of the 9 games:

1) The Berenstain Bears' Camping Adventure (1994)
2) Bonkers (1994)
3) Crystal's Pony Tale (1994)
4) Ecco Jr. (1995)
5) Math Blaster: Episode 1 (1994)
6) Richard Scarry's Busytown (1994)
7) Scholastic's The Magic School Bus: Space Exploration Game (1995)
8) Sesame Street Counting Cafe (1994)
9) Wacky Worlds (1994)

1) The Berenstain Bears' Camping Adventure (1994)

Berenstain Bears includes a Sega Club registration card and a Sega Club fold-out poster.  The clamshell is a standard Sega branded clamshell consistent with later releases.

2) Bonkers (1994)

Bonkers is a cardboard only release.  The cardboard tray is the horizontal variety.  Bonkers came with a Sega Club registration card and a Sega Club fold-out poster.

3) Crystal's Pony Tale (1994)

Crystal's Pony Tale includes a Sega Club registration card and a Sega Club fold-out poster.  The clamshell is the same as the one for Berenstain Bears, a standard Sega branded clamshell consistent with later releases.

4) Ecco Jr. (1995)

My copy is sealed; however, the contents of this release are just a Sega Visions b-fold registration card (one side of the card says "Enclosed: Winner's Instruction Manual).  The game is cardboard only.  The cardboard tray is the vertical kind (ie not the same tray that Bonkers uses).

For Ecco Jr. is a title I long recommended buying new from Amazon.com .  Up until very recently there were sealed copies for $35 shipped or less, though those appear to have finally dried up as that is now the CIB price of the game.  I was typing this guide expecting to link you guys, but that boat has sailed haha, I guess I put off too long buying additional copies.

5) Math Blaster: Episode 1 (1994)

My copy of Math Blaster is also sealed.  Math Blaster includes a Math Blaster poster.  

The game may also include a Davidson registration card.  A long time ago there was a cart+box copy on eBay that had a Davidson registration card.  I waited about a year but never saw another copy with that registration card; Math Blaster is the only Davidson release for the Genesis.  In the end I bought a sealed copy because I wasn't sure.

6) Richard Scarry's Busytown (1994)

Richard Scarry includes a Sega Club registration card and a Sega Club fold-out poster.  Richard Scarry is a cardboard only release and the cardboard tray is the horizontal variety (same as Bonkers).

7) Scholastic's The Magic School Bus: Space Exploration Game (1995)

Like Ecco Jr., Magic School Bus just includes a Sega Visions b-fold registration card.  As pictured, the cardboard tray for Magic School Bus is vertical.

8) Sesame Street Counting Cafe (1994)

Sesame Street is an EA Games release.  The plastic clamshell does not have a hangtab.  I am not sure which inserts this game includes, but if I remember correctly they are EA inserts and not the Sega ones that have been included in all of the other Sega Club games.  There is at least an EA games registration card and anywhere from 1 to 3 other inserts. I bought my copy sealed due to the uncertainty.

9) Wacky Worlds (1994)

My copy is sealed but I recently sold a CIB copy.  The copy that I sold included a Sega Club fold-out poster, an instruction card for the Mega Mouse, the Mega Mouse accessory, and a red Mouse Pad (no markings or logos).  There is a chance that his game also included a Sega Club registration card, as that would be consistent with every other game that had the Sega Club fold-out poster.

For Wacky Worlds there is still (as of September 12) a new copy on Amazon for $39.99 + $6.10 shipping, which honestly is a pretty good deal.

After the 9 games there is one Sega Club branded accessory, a six-button controller.  The controller is smaller for smaller hands.

There are 4 inserts for the Sega Club six-button controller: Sega Club registration card, Sega Club fold-out poster, six-button controller instruction card, and a Mega Mouse advertisement.

Hopefully these pictures are descriptions are helpful.  If there are any suggestions let me know!  I'm glad to answer any questions and I'll try to put together similar kinds of posts for those working on their CIB collections.

Edited: 09/12/2015 at 10:25 PM by supergamboy

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:27:28 PM
BlackEmrald (0)

(Jesse Hensley) < Alex Kidd >
Texas
Very cool stuff. I remember they found the Pony game on the Game Chasers and I was always curious about the whole Sega Club thing afterward. Now I know! Thanks for posting

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:36:35 PM
Johnny (153)
(Johnny Iucci) < Seven Force >
California
Excellent post

-------------------------
~Listen to the Collector's Quest Podcast~
   https://itunes.apple.com/us/podca...
   https://soundcloud.com/collectors... 

www.GameOverJohnny.com...

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:42:34 PM
Gagesac (18)
(Alex Gages) < Sketch Turner >
Ontario
Too cool! Thank you for posting

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:59:13 PM
neutopia6 (1)
(Walter Bomba) < Alex Kidd >
British Columbia
That was an awesome read, thank you, I don't own any of these yet haha.

Sep 13, 2015 at 1:02:22 AM
jkenned5 (130)
(Jordan Kennedy) < Sketch Turner >
Ontario
I got about half of these richard scary is fun.

Trading for CIB genesis and cart only snes (shmups/rpgs); hundreds of games for offer. 
---> Updated (Mar 13, 2015) -> INVENTORY: 

Sep 13, 2015 at 2:16:33 AM
supergamboy (108)
< Funklord >
United States
I'm glad people enjoyed the post. At some point I'll do one for all of the Konami releases and their respective inserts, but there are still a couple variants I want to pick up before I make the post. I am also considering making a Namco post, but I know I am missing the registration cards for 1 or 2 games. Those posts will come in time. I'm also willing to take "requests" if there are certain parts of the Genesis collection that people have uncertainty about. If I don't know, I'll be glad to work to figure it out and help out the community.

Now here is a link to a CIB copy of Richard Scarry to show you what not to buy:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Gene...

Yes it is CIB, but it includes two registration cards, neither of which actually came from the game. Hopefully my original post will help members prevent buying a game that doesn't actually have what its supposed to include.

Edited: 09/13/2015 at 02:18 AM by supergamboy

Sep 13, 2015 at 11:45:24 AM
BlackEmrald (0)

(Jesse Hensley) < Alex Kidd >
Texas
I'd love to see a movie/TV adaptation list or something like that

Sep 13, 2015 at 12:11:55 PM
TotallyTerrificPants (0)
< Neff >
South Australia
Very nice. The controller was just the Japanese 6 button controller in a new package since theirs was already smaller than the NA and PAL 6 button pads.

Sep 13, 2015 at 8:17:04 PM
T.A.P. (20)

(Taylor Pinson) < Sketch Turner >
Michigan
Thanks for posting. This has a lot of handy info in it.

And now I want one of those totally bitchin' controllers. Can you post a comparison photo so we can see how big of a size difference there is between it and a normal 6 button controller?

Edited: 09/13/2015 at 08:21 PM by T.A.P.

Sep 14, 2015 at 5:14:52 AM
cyberguile (2)

(joe musashi) < Alex Kidd >
France
Nice topic mate !
Do you mind if I use the pictures for guardiana ?

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:22:37 PM
AtariJay (0)
(jbob h) < Sketch Turner >
Ohio
Never knew about the controller very interesting.

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:43:21 PM
supergamboy (108)
< Funklord >
United States
Originally posted by: cyberguile

Nice topic mate !
Do you mind if I use the pictures for guardiana ?
Sure thing, man. Go for it, I'm glad to spread the information to a wider base.

Yeah, I'll try and take a some additional pictures of the controller soon.

Edited: 09/14/2015 at 10:59 PM by supergamboy

Sep 15, 2015 at 12:08:06 AM
TheToxicCollector (47)

(Nick ) < Tom-Tom >
New York
Awesome, thank you for putting this together, as well as trying to keep SegaAge active!!! Do you know if those were the only releases for those or are there clam shells and cardboard variants for all of them?

Sep 15, 2015 at 2:36:52 AM
TotallyTerrificPants (0)
< Neff >
South Australia
I may be wrong but I think Crystal's Pony Tales was a cardboard and clam release.

Sep 15, 2015 at 7:20:49 AM
supergamboy (108)
< Funklord >
United States
Originally posted by: TheToxicCollector

Awesome, thank you for putting this together, as well as trying to keep SegaAge active!!! Do you know if those were the only releases for those or are there clam shells and cardboard variants for all of them?
These are the only releases for each of these games.  

There was no cardboard release for Crystal's Pony Tale.

Sep 16, 2015 at 2:38:31 AM
TotallyTerrificPants (0)
< Neff >
South Australia
My bad. Must be thinking of another game.

Oct 14, 2015 at 4:10:28 PM
xelement5x (7)
< Tom-Tom >
Colorado
So question about Wacky Worlds. I've got a copy and all the stuff is just jammed in there. Does anyone else have an open one and are there like cardboard inserts or anything as well?

"Rocky and Bullwinkle is the worst unlicensed NES game I can think of. Even Color a Dinosaur is better, and it just involves coloring a dinosaur."

Oct 14, 2015 at 5:25:07 PM
The Count (95)
(Grant X.) < Neff >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: xelement5x

So question about Wacky Worlds. I've got a copy and all the stuff is just jammed in there. Does anyone else have an open one and are there like cardboard inserts or anything as well?

No inserts in the two that I have, though they were not new when I got them. I've wondered the same thing as I haven't ever seen anything that should hold everything together.

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:07:16 PM
supergamboy (108)
< Funklord >
United States
Yeah, the stuff is just jammed in there. No cardboard inserts to hold it in place in an orderly manner. I haven't opened a new copy. I have two new copies but don't plan on opening one just to verify. But anyway, I've never seen any kind of cardboard insert or anything to hold everything in place.

Oct 15, 2015 at 11:33:20 PM
dukeofhurl99 (1)

< Sketch Turner >
Texas
Cool pics. Though I can't see the controller very well. What's different about it from the US version? Looks like it just has a blue start button. I've been thinking about looking for another one since my original is getting pretty soft these days.

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:58:00 PM
supergamboy (108)
< Funklord >
United States
Here is a 100% CIB Bonkers:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disneys-B...

A few dollars more than a regular CIB, but probably worth the price, IMO

Nov 4, 2015 at 12:39:04 AM
laddersandcakes (56)
(Chris ) < Alex Kidd >
Virginia
Yeah, I know/knew basically nothing about Sega Club. Really cool to see this list with the pics and trivia. Thanks for sharing!

Are any of these games any fun, ha? I admire them as collectors' items, just curious about how playable they are. I'm eyeing that Magic School Bus game in particular. I loved that show growing up.

I'd definitely cast a vote for the Konami idea for the next one. Would enjoy seeing that.

Nov 4, 2015 at 7:54:50 AM
supergamboy (108)
< Funklord >
United States
^Yeah, Konami is coming up next. I just need to add one more variant to my collection, at which point I think I'll have all the Konami releases I know of

Nov 5, 2015 at 11:41:10 AM
The Endorphines (0)
(A T) < Flicky >
Georgia
Nice collection, I have a few sega club games, thought 3 are carts only. Im in process of picking those up after I finish some more of my saturn library