Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Sega Genesis CIB Contents my ongoing project - please help

Mar 16 at 10:22:11 AM
supergamboy (113)
(Sanford ) < Boogerman >
United States
I think it makes sense to suppose that some of the 7 games with fruit roll-ups got a second print run without fruit roll-up. But as the presence of a fruit roll-up was never even marked with a sticker on the outside it's been impossible to derive print run info. I've never noticed any differences on UPCs or -1 or A or anything like that. Sega certainly wasn't as consistent as Nintendo

Mar 16 at 6:21:49 PM
supergamboy (113)
(Sanford ) < Boogerman >
United States
Now that I have my collection out of storage, I'm going to start documenting lots of things before its sold off.

Here is the reg card for King of the Monsters 2 (image now added to spreadsheet)

And here is a very minor print variant for Sonic & Knuckles (less common release on the right):

Mar 16 at 8:41:02 PM
IchbinIan (0)

< Tom-Tom >
Was hoping there was a way to tell whether or not a sealed copy came with the fruit roll up.  I guess not.  What supergamboy says makes sense.  If that is the case it's very likely that a sealed Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine is a real gamble if I'm looking for one with the fruit roll up inside.  I'm sure that game got a reprint.  

Mar 16 at 8:50:49 PM
IchbinIan (0)

< Tom-Tom >
Originally posted by: supergamboy

And here is a very minor print variant for Sonic & Knuckles (less common release on the right):

Looks like I have the more common print.  I'm fine with that though, it's complete and in good condition.  Good info though.  Thanks!

Edited: 03/16/2019 at 08:51 PM by IchbinIan

Mar 17 at 1:12:37 AM
supergamboy (113)
(Sanford ) < Boogerman >
United States
For the fruit roll-ups, I'd recommend buying every game with a fruit roll-up that comes up for sale until you have 7, then move them among your games as need be. I have a full set of the 7 games, as well as duplicates of a couple of them. They'll be going up for sale at some point (not now), though when I do it, those will surely be eBay auctions as there are so few sale examples to inform pricing.

Mar 17 at 10:35:19 AM
billybob884 (0)

< Flicky >
May I ask where you're selling your items? I'm looking to fill out some holes in my collection

Mar 17 at 10:49:08 AM
supergamboy (113)
(Sanford ) < Boogerman >
United States
Originally posted by: billybob884

May I ask where you're selling your items? I'm looking to fill out some holes in my collection
I've got a for sale thread up here on the forums:

http://segaage.com/forum/messagev...

I'll be adding more to it overtime from the other boxes

Mar 21 at 8:45:36 AM
Giancarlogb (4)

< Neff >
Also the list is missing the NBA Jam TE Target Exclusive

http://imgur.com/a/whNefvd...

I thought that it was a fluke until I found a copy of my own.

It has same inserts as NBA Jam TE but with a big additional poster....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NBA-Jam-...

Mar 21 at 8:49:22 AM
Giancarlogb (4)

< Neff >
The poster doesn't fit the case...so I put it on a box on another room....that's why I preferred to paste a link of eBay for the poster...

Mar 21 at 8:49:49 AM
Giancarlogb (4)

< Neff >
Also 65 for a poster....really?!

Mar 30 at 1:35:16 PM
supergamboy (113)
(Sanford ) < Boogerman >
United States
Is the Target thing a sticker on the art insert?

Also, can anyone confirm that there are two releases of Tecmo Super Bowl III? I have only ever seen the cardboard hangtab. Is there a different release that has a regular slide tray? I'm starting to think no

Mar 30 at 2:43:35 PM
Giancarlogb (4)

< Neff >

is on the case...

Mar 30 at 6:45:11 PM
supergamboy (113)
(Sanford ) < Boogerman >
United States

Mar 31 at 3:21:04 AM
madhatter (0)

(Sean Berry) < Flicky >
Arizona
I had that NBA Jam poster as a kid. I never had the game, but we did shop at Target quite often. Maybe it was a giveaway at the counter?

Mar 31 at 9:56:15 AM
Giancarlogb (4)

< Neff >
The label is on top of the plastic (outside)....

And I do agree that it had to be a poster given at the counter......is to big to even fit outside the box on the Shrink Wrap......

Mar 31 at 7:25:45 PM
supergamboy (113)
(Sanford ) < Boogerman >
United States
Ah, if it's a label/sticker on top of the plastic... Then maybe it's not a true variant. Not one from Sega. Just Target making something up...

Apr 14 at 12:07:43 PM
billybob884 (0)

< Flicky >
Found a couple things:
1) Found another missing "1st Round Limited Edition" variant:

They have otherwise identical manuals/carts, but both were open/used eBay finds, so take that with a grain of salt.

2) There are (at least) 5 variants for Sonic 2 (you have 4 noted in column A, but only 2 actually in the list):
 - Clamshell, Original release
 - Clamshell, "Not for Resale" (yellow logo printed on artwork)
 - Clamshell, "Not for Resale" (white sticker w/ red text on case/cartridge)
 - Clamshell, Canadian release
 - Cardboard hangtab

Also on a side note, I recently came across copies of two games, The Immortal and Fatal Rewind, that used this rather odd case with no cartridge/manual retaining clips:

I had thought maybe this was a weird modern replacement box (or maybe a store rental box), but in your matrix you have a "slim EA case" variant listed for both (as well as for other games); is this what the slim case is supposed to look like? It just seemed odd that EA would release a case that has the game and inserts just loosely stuffed in.

Edited: 04/14/2019 at 12:09 PM by billybob884

Apr 14 at 9:37:36 PM
IchbinIan (0)

< Tom-Tom >
Originally posted by: billybob884

I had thought maybe this was a weird modern replacement box (or maybe a store rental box), but in your matrix you have a "slim EA case" variant listed for both (as well as for other games); is this what the slim case is supposed to look like? It just seemed odd that EA would release a case that has the game and inserts just loosely stuffed in.

That is the original case for early EA games.  I purchased my Shadow of the Beast sealed in it came in that style of case.  My copies of "The Immortal" (I've had 2) are also in that case style.  I'm pretty sure those cases are what the sheet is referring to when it says "slim EA case". 

Looking at the sheet though I see it has them both in regular EA cases.  I've seen numerous listings of both of these games with the that style of case though.  Maybe later prints of the game used the "fat" EA case? 

Apr 14 at 10:56:24 PM
supergamboy (113)
(Sanford ) < Boogerman >
United States
Thanks for the catches, billybob. Good to get more of those "1st Round Limited Edition" games filled in. It was an area I never really bothered to track.

I've converted the listings for Sonic the Hedgehog 2 into the new format and I have added the second type of NFR. Would you be willing to share some pictures of the white sticker/red text NFR for Sonic the Hedgehog 2?

And yes, that is the the style of case to which "slim EA case" refers. I am fairly certain that the games also got later printings in regular cases. But it could be something I just assumed had to be the case.

I used to be under the impression that there were multiple releases of Tecmo Bowl III, but now I believe it just has the one style of release. So I'm glad to update the EA case stuff as we turn up better information. Thank you both for helping improve the list!

Apr 15 at 11:22:41 PM
billybob884 (0)

< Flicky >
No worries, glad to help.

Pictures of both Sonic 2 NFR's:

The white/red sticker has come off of the case, but the glue residue is still there as proof (here's another one on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/32283077...). I'm curious as to why the sticker version exists though; Sonic 1 already had NFR versions, so the problem of stores opening console bundles to sell them individually wouldn't have been a new issue... maybe they just had a lot of unsold copies and reused them for pack-ins to save costs?

As for the slim EA cases, weird. Was there maybe some sort of cardboard insert to hold the cart in place? Would probably need to open a sealed box to know for sure; I'll keep an eye out for one (though it always feels like sacrilege to open them   )

Apr 16 at 5:22:39 AM
ViKiNg80 (4)
< Neff >
Russian Federation
Was there maybe some sort of cardboard insert to hold the cart in place? 

Nope.  
It was manual's duty