Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Sega Genesis CIB Contents my ongoing project - please help

Mar 11 at 1:50:37 PM
supergamboy (113)
(Sanford ) < Boogerman >
United States
I just sold a sealed copy of Greatest Heavyweights and it went cheap! Just $28! I almost wonder if in that instance it would have been more worthwhile for me to open the game and sell it as 100% CIB or even just auction the fruit roll-up on its own, haha

Mar 11 at 3:41:18 PM
ViKiNg80 (4)
< Neff >
Russian Federation
Originally posted by: supergamboy

I just sold a sealed copy of Greatest Heavyweights and it went cheap! Just $28! I almost wonder if in that instance it would have been more worthwhile for me to open the game and sell it as 100% CIB or even just auction the fruit roll-up on its own, haha

I'd be more interested to know does your copy of Indiana Jones you sold includes ​fruit roll-up  

Mar 11 at 4:03:31 PM
ViKiNg80 (4)
< Neff >
Russian Federation
I've noticed, that Pitfall game in your spreadsheet has only one print.
Here is my thoughts about this game (all pics from ebay and clickable!).

Pitfall has 3 releases.

1. First print. It has "Assembled in USA" text in the right lower corner of the case back. Cartrige is "Assembled in USA" too. Color manual. I think it's the only release with Pitfall poster.

2. Second print. It has "Assembled in Mexico" text on the case art and Ballistic sticker. Cartrige is "Assembled in Mexico". Color manual. No other inserts.

3. Last cardboard release by Majesco. It has "Assembled in Mexico" text on the back, but no Ballistic sticker of cource. B/W manual and typical Majesco reg card.

Edited: 03/11/2018 at 04:04 PM by ViKiNg80

Mar 11 at 5:20:32 PM
supergamboy (113)
(Sanford ) < Boogerman >
United States
I had two releases of Pitfall in my spreadsheet: Clamshell (Assembled in USA) and cardboard. I've added the Assembled in Mexico Clamshell release as well - thanks!

But I'm curious. In number 3 you write "but no Ballistic sticker of course"; however, look at the second picture for the cardboard release. Off to the right side, there very clearly is a ballistic sticker

For Indiana Jones - did you end up winning that one? I can't remember haha

Mar 12 at 2:30:18 AM
ViKiNg80 (4)
< Neff >
Russian Federation
Originally posted by: supergamboy

I had two releases of Pitfall in my spreadsheet: Clamshell (Assembled in USA) and cardboard. I've added the Assembled in Mexico Clamshell release as well - thanks!

But I'm curious. In number 3 you write "but no Ballistic sticker of course"; however, look at the second picture for the cardboard release. Off to the right side, there very clearly is a ballistic sticker

For Indiana Jones - did you end up winning that one? I can't remember haha
Yes, you right, there is Ballistic sticker on cardboard release! I need to sleep more!  
I didn't win your Indiana Jones, i bought 2 sealed copies instead. Ha-ha, very funny  

Mar 18 at 11:13:24 AM
supergamboy (113)
(Sanford ) < Boogerman >
United States
As always, thank you to everyone that has contributed and help this spreadsheet get better and better! Shout out to YanosCIB who has helped me straighten out how I describe posters.

In particular, our own ViKiNg80 opened up a sealed copy of Dinosaurs for Hire that I sold, and based an overview picture from ViKiNg80 I input it into the spreadsheet. But at that time, I didn't have a good process for how to describe posters.

For the Genesis, posters have 3 "sides" that can be described. There is the "front" which is the "main" image, then there is the "back" which is whatever is on the opposite side. And then lastly there is the "folded image" which is how the poster looks when it is all folded up.

In my spreadsheet I have usually referred to a poster based on what is on the "front" but sometimes I referred to it based on the "folded image" and I haven't been consistent.

I am still working on formatting, but I think my plan is to describe the posters as "[FRONT / BACK] Poster " and then use the Note option to describe the folded image. I have not yet decided if I should use the brackets like that but I think it helps separate the description of the front and the back from the main descriptor which is "poster"

I have updated the entry for Dinosaurs for Hire based on this format. For reference here are some images of the posters so you can see what they look like and how I described them!

Edited: 03/18/2018 at 11:14 AM by supergamboy

Mar 18 at 2:53:03 PM
ViKiNg80 (4)
< Neff >
Russian Federation
Thank you! 
Glad you continue your job on spreadsheet - it's really great guide for collectors! 
I think it's clear enough way to describe posters and it could help to distinguish them.
Probably we need to add poster images, especially for rare ones.

Edited: 03/18/2018 at 02:53 PM by ViKiNg80

Mar 18 at 5:15:46 PM
supergamboy (113)
(Sanford ) < Boogerman >
United States
Yes, I have a way to add photos.

For example, look at the spreadsheet entry for the poster for Nobunaga's Ambition. Also look at "Variant 1" for Dungeons and Dragons.

The problem is that I can only have 1 image for each spreadsheet cell. A few years ago, I made the Nobunaga's Ambition entry as a test. I had to take two separate pictures and edit them so that they were side-by-side.

I can host the images in my imgur.com account so that the links will not break. So if anyone has suggestions or can provide photos of things, I will add them.

Mar 18 at 8:40:24 PM
supergamboy (113)
(Sanford ) < Boogerman >
United States
Okay I have given the poster description some more thought.

This is the method that I am currently leaning toward

POSTER: Jurassic Park / Welcome to the Next Level [670-3265]
POSTER: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 "Are You Up 2 It?" / Way Ahead of the Game [670-0483-07]
POSTER: Batman Returns / "Get a Grip" (Game Gear) [670-2116-02]

With this method, I can state up front very clearly that it is a POSTER (because otherwise having the word "Poster" at the end after a lot of text it may be possible to miss. And it also lets me include the serial number

Mar 18 at 11:48:41 PM
supergamboy (113)
(Sanford ) < Boogerman >
United States
I am starting to add pictures for variants that may be less common. I got a question about the Sonic ESRB re-release so I wanted to add pictures.

I have now added pictures for the four "main" ESRB re-releases:
- After Burner II
- Sonic the Hedgehog (Variant 5)
- Super Monaco GP
- Taz-Mania

For those games, if you cover over the hyperlink in the variant column, you can click a link to view an image on imgur.com

Apr 15 at 11:27:12 AM
Giancarlogb (4)

< Neff >
Trying to complete my Road Rash copy. Does it only came with a poster? On the files it says "Road Rash Poster" what poster is that one?

Please, help.

Apr 15 at 2:57:07 PM
ViKiNg80 (4)
< Neff >
Russian Federation
Originally posted by: Giancarlogb

Trying to complete my Road Rash copy. Does it only came with a poster? On the files it says "Road Rash Poster" what poster is that one?

Please, help.
As i remember - this poster included only in first print of RR in "thin" EA box.
This poster contains same art as on the box (two bikers).

Edited: 04/15/2018 at 02:58 PM by ViKiNg80

Apr 16 at 2:57:39 PM
Giancarlogb (4)

< Neff >
Thanks!

Have never seen that poster. Don't tell me this is another hard game to complete....

Apr 17 at 1:27:48 AM
ViKiNg80 (4)
< Neff >
Russian Federation
Originally posted by: Giancarlogb

Thanks!

Have never seen that poster. Don't tell me this is another hard game to complete....

No, this poster is quite common, just keep watching RR lots  

Apr 21 at 6:25:06 PM
YanosCIB (0)

(Yanos CIB) < Alex Kidd >
Texas
Completing your copy of Road Rash depends on which case you have (or if you want to build your complete copy to look like a 1st or 2nd print edition).

Please understand, this info comes from my personal collection AND from looking at a lot of eBay auctions for clarification. Until we have sealed copies to open, we work with information that has not been truly verified.

1st PRINT (1R):
CASE: It is VERY probable that this 1st print run saw use of two clamshells as I have seen MANY auctions that include 1R inserts & carts in the slim AND standard clamshells so I would tell people not to get too hung up on which clamshell is correct for 1R as I am VERY certain both are valid. For the truly pedantic, which one was used first becomes the tough question.
**Clamshell Variant1: Slim EA Clamshell withOUT plastic retainers molded into case for holding manual & inserts in place
**Clamshell Variant2: Standard EA Clamshell with logo and plastic retainers molded into case for holding manual & inserts in place
CASE ART INSERT: 702001 (same revision number for both prints)
CART: Cart label DIN 7020
MANUAL: 702005 (same revision number for both prints)
POSTER:  EASN JOIN TODAY! (no DIN printed on this single sided poster. top row of games shown are John Madden 92 & Leander)
REG CARD: [820317A 3/91 COLOR VARIES]
INSERT1: For The Latest And Greatest [820370 PURPLE]

IMAGE OF 1st PRINT
(please ignore the "GUEST PASS" insert as it is a false inclusion)

2nd PRINT (2R):
CASE: Standard EA Clamshell with logo and plastic retainers molded into case for holding manual & inserts in place
CASE ART INSERT: 702001 (same revision number for both prints)
CART: Cart label DIN 7020A (notice there is now an "A" at the end)
MANUAL: 702005 (same revision number for both prints)
POSTER: (likely no poster included)
REG CARD: Register Now! [820317 2/93 COLOR VARIES]
INSERT1: For The Latest And Greatest [820370 HOT PINK]

IMAGE OF 2nd PRINT INSERTS

IMAGE OF A 2R CART

METHODOLOGY: This section is VERY tedious and only meant for people who are VERY concerned about truly complete copies of games and the differences between print runs. Because we dont have sealed copies to verify findings, a trail of linked evidence is used to piece together this info. Because there is a known cart label variant between 1R [702001] vs 2R [702001A], it is certain that there are at least 2 print runs for this game. Based on that, there is also a known change in the "For The Latest And The Greatest [820370]" insert where is went from a purple insert to hot pink AND has a major design revision front to back YET retained the same DIN (Document Identification Number) after the change. The [820370 PURPLE] corresponds to the 1R while the [820370 HOTPINK] goes with the 2R as also correlated with the changes in REG CARDS from [820317 3/91] to [820317 2/93] respectively. With this info, the pieces of 1R and 2R become more easily GROUPED and a better picture of what was (likely) included with each release is formed. The kicker in all this is that I have seen "complete copies" on ebay with a 1R cart label but include 2R inserts. This could mean that EA did the switch over on inserts BEFORE they updated the cart labels. Either way, when the DINs on cart label, manuals or case artwork changes, thats where I PERSONALLY draw the line for a NEW print run. This change in cart label DIN COULD also denote a change to the actual software code as was seen in games like Mystic Defender, Moonwalker, Shinobi etc). There is an overwhelming amount of data to find and sort in order to understand variants.

-------------------------
CIB = Cart / Instructions / Box

Edited: 04/21/2018 at 06:36 PM by YanosCIB

Apr 23 at 7:07:32 PM
Giancarlogb (4)

< Neff >
Whoa!...

Can ask for more...thank you for the detail explanation, i have the slim case version,  just missing that poster which now (thanks to you) will be easy to find.

Thank you so much bro!

May 02 at 4:22:57 PM
ViKiNg80 (4)
< Neff >
Russian Federation
Hey, supergamboy
You'd probably need to add a reg card to New Horizons game content - it comes with game specific registration card!

May 12 at 10:15:06 AM
supergamboy (113)
(Sanford ) < Boogerman >
United States
Thanks for the catch ViKiNg80!

Every single KOEI release for the Genesis came with a registration card and a map/poster. All of those registration cards are "game-specific" and include the name of the game on the registration card, except for Romance of the Three Kingdoms II which instead has a "generic" KOEI reg card and does not include the name of the game.

I wrote and photographed a whole "guide" for KOEI but it looks like I never finished it and now I've lost it. But now that you've noticed its missing from my spreadsheet, I'll go through each KOEI title and make sure they are all updated!

May 12 at 10:39:36 AM
supergamboy (113)
(Sanford ) < Boogerman >
United States
YanosCIB, thanks for your post on Road Rash. Good catch on the existence of a 7020 and 7020A cart.

However, it looks like the poster that you have listed ("EASN JOIN TODAY!") for the first release of the game is DIFFERENT from the poster to which ViKiNg80 and I were referring. The poster that we were discussing and which Giancarlob saw on my spreadsheet is a poster that has the game artwork as the cover of the game.

I believe that this poster was only packaged in the thin case release, as I've seen similar posters in the thin releases of other EA games. The poster itself is quite tough to find, and maybe you haven't seen it.

Here is a sold listing from February 2018 (see the last pic): 
s://www.ebay.com/itm/Road-Rash-Se...

I believed its packed into the wrong release but that is the poster that I have noted on my spreadsheet.

Edited: 05/12/2018 at 10:54 AM by supergamboy

May 19 at 5:13:32 PM
IchbinIan (0)

< Flicky >
Those are 2 sealed games I recently opened.

I've found this forum topic and the other projects supergamboy has done to be extremely helpful in collecting. Definitely appreciate the work you do as well as everyone else who posts in this topic.

I didn't see these titles in blue on the spreadsheet so I hope this helps.

May 20 at 2:26:22 PM
supergamboy (113)
(Sanford ) < Boogerman >
United States
Thank you, Ian!

I've updated the entries for both and given you credit for opening them!

For Asterix the spreadsheet had been missing one of the inserts, but now with the update Asterix is consistent with the inserts for Young Indiana Jones, another title that included the fruit roll-up.

For Panic on Funkotron, your opening it helped me catch an error in my spreadsheet (I had accidentally included the Sega Visions Reg Card as an insert). Since I had initially made that entry, I've learned that the Eternal Champions poster is always paired with the Sega Visions Reg Card (though the Sega Visions reg card often appears on its own).

Now, the entries for all 7 games that came with a fruit roll-up can be grouped into 2 main categories:

Jurassic Park poster and Fruit Roll-up
- Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
- Greatest Heavy Weights (this game also had a 6-button arcade pad insert)
- Gunstar Heroes
- Landstalker
- ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron

Eternal Champions poster, Sega Visions reg card, and Fruit Roll-Up
- Asterix
- Young Indiana Jones

After your contributions, I made sure that every reference to the Eternal Champions poster was input consistently in my spreadsheet (so far I have tracked 9 games with that poster and the sega visions reg card; and for note, the actual came Eternal Champions does not include that poster). I also made sure that all 7 games with fruit roll-ups were updated to use the same style and formatting.

And lastly, of the 7 games with fruit roll-ups, now four of them have been opened from new games and verified (Asterix, ToeJam 2, Greatest Heavyweights, and Young Indiana). Galacticlint (a member on these boards) opened up Gunstar Heroes within the last year so I'm checking with him on that one. Then that will leave just Landstalker and Dr. Robotnik as ones that haven't been opened, but I'm confident that all 7 entries are accurate now.

Thanks again!

Edited: 05/20/2018 at 02:26 PM by supergamboy

May 20 at 6:02:06 PM
IchbinIan (0)

< Flicky >
Glad I could contribute! I love doing these openings and will continue to do so, granted I have some funds to spare and can find a good price. I'll definitely post photos for any future openings.

May 20 at 10:46:32 PM
supergamboy (113)
(Sanford ) < Boogerman >
United States
It's contributions like yours from a great number of members that have helped transform the spreadsheet into what you see today.

If you ever come across a copy of Global Gladiators that you want to open, I'd be appreciative! I'm convinced that it has no inserts, but another member here (YanosCIB) thinks it might have a Virgin Games registration card. I'm sure we'll sort it out eventually and in the mean time I'll find plenty of other areas of the spreadsheet to improve