Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Sega Genesis CIB Contents my ongoing project - please help

Nov 26, 2014 at 3:46:39 PM
supergamboy (113)
(Sanford ) < Boogerman >
United States
Hey all, I've been working on a project for awhile now to catalog every Sega Genesis game and the contents that would have originally come with the game.

You can view my current efforts here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadshe...

If you have any contributions, additions, or comments, post in the thread and let me know!

Some Notes: 

For each game, I have attempted to track the number of variants for each game.
I will also include print variants at some point (ie Made in Japan vs. Printed in USA), but that will be a VERY ambitious project. For now I'll note the difference in where the game was printed if it contents are different between the releases or if someone has already done the research (SpaceFlea?).

Games like Sonic the Hedgehog are a struggle because there are so many printings of them. I have 9 listed for Sonic the Hedgehog. Accordingly my listed "pack-ins" for Sonic the Hedgehog are lacking because I have seen the game packaged with so many different posters - correctly and incorrectly - and I don't know which posters came with which print runs.

So for now, titles like Sonic the Hedgehog aren't my priority.

I do want to get a sense of which games had generic posters (such as Batman Returns or Jurassic Park) as well. Everything counts for this project. My reference so far is my own collection and numerous eBay listings. For Sega published games, I usually wait to see the same game with the same pack-ins a few times before adding to my list.

Edited: 01/21/2016 at 08:33 AM by supergamboy

Nov 26, 2014 at 10:01:37 PM
galacticlint (99)
< Dr. Robotnik >
United States

Recent acclaim poster observations...

NOTE : According to my evil investigations, the included posters might vary in some titles?
Each of these has game-specific Reg. Card

Batman Forever (1995) - Black
Cutthroat Island (1996) Black
Demolition Man (1995) - Dream Team
Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story (1995) - Dream Team
Judge Dredd (1995) Black /or/ Dream Team
Mortal Kombat II (1994) Dream Team
Revolution X (1995) - Black
Scooby-Doo Mystery (1995) - Black
Spider-Man (1995) - Dream Team
Spider-Man & Venom: Maximum Carnage (1994) Dream Team /or/ Video Game Blockbusters
Spider-Man & Venom: Separation Anxiety (1995) - Black /or/ Dream team
Spot Goes To Hollywood (1995) - Black
Stargate (1995) Black /or/ Dream team
Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1993) - Video Game Blockbusters
True Lies (1994) - Black /or/ Dream team
Wolverine: Adamantium Rage (1994) - Dream Team

Edited: 11/27/2014 at 08:52 AM by galacticlint

Nov 28, 2014 at 4:39:46 PM
galacticlint (99)
< Dr. Robotnik >
United States
Okay so I have a random question, do any games come with no inserts? You know, only bare nekkid CIB.
Seems like there are games you just plain old never see with inserts/reg cards for whatever reason.

Anyhow I noticed that there is a variation on the back of one of the early release's posters while I believe the Sonic front remains the same. There's like a four-tier game gear insert evolution over time.

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:16:09 AM
supergamboy (113)
(Sanford ) < Boogerman >
United States
There are definitely games that came as just CIB with nothing more. If I'm confident a game came like that, then in the "Insert 1" column I'll put a ' / ' to indicate no further inserts. There are some I suspect to be like that, but mostly for non-Sega published games.

As far as the variations in early posters, that stuff is tough. I've found it so much easier to fill in the spreadsheet for non-Sega stuff. Like for Koei or Acclaim like you've noted above.

Thanks for the Acclaim list. I recently went though my own collection and found I was missing the reg card for nearly all of them. Yikes. I'll slowly integrate that info as I confirm it. Like for the ones you listed multiple posters. I don't trust only_one_chance's auctions. He had some great shit, but is also the kind of seller to make games more complete to help their sale price. And I just want to make sure I have it right. For example with one Konami game he purposefully used the wrong reg card, and said it was the wrong reg card, but if you just look at the auction picture then it looks right.

"Acclaim's Dream Team!" and "Video Game Blockbusters" are easy to identify and refer to. I don't know what to call the 'Black' poster as you've noted it, for purposes of the spreadsheet. I currently have it as "Acclaim Poster [unfolds into horizontal poster]" but maybe I will add the word black in there to help, ie "Black Acclaim Poster [unfolds into horizontal poster]" since there is nothing else to identify it with. Thoughts?

Edited: 11/29/2014 at 11:17 AM by supergamboy

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:03:21 PM
galacticlint (99)
< Dr. Robotnik >
United States
Here it is for all to see.
On the back it's plain white and unprinted.
Maybe just specify as the "black/silver" acclaim poster.

Those auctions... oh dear lawd.
People bid sky high on centerfolded titles, unlike the other exact same titles pictured in a barely open dimly lit case (just click on all the CIB Acclaim games, surely one will have the card and/or poster for cheap without even being mentioned in listing text)

And yes, at least three of "that guy's" listing had incorrect inserts that I can remember.

Edited: 11/30/2014 at 12:10 AM by galacticlint

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:59:13 PM
maelwys (117)
(Mike W) < Bio-Hazard Battler >
Pennsylvania
Awesome list - much more complete than the one we had started earlier. Having all the variants in one place is very helpful. I still have images uploaded for the ones I have if that's helpful. Last I recall, we got stuck on how to properly archive them.

This also makes me wonder why I have certain posters with certain games. There clearly has been a lot of swapping and cannibalization for eBay sales over time.

Edited: 12/01/2014 at 12:59 PM by maelwys

Dec 2, 2014 at 12:31:49 AM
supergamboy (113)
(Sanford ) < Boogerman >
United States
I created an image hosting account on imgur.com called 'segaage' - At some point I would want to upload images of certain things (like the front and back of each reg card in one image) and link them to the spreadsheet. I just know its way too ambitious for me to do.

I'd be glad to give you access to edit the spreadsheet if you'd like to link images. I'd prefer to do front and back of a scan as a single image. Since I can only put one hyperlink per cell in the spreadsheet.
I've only really done it for one item so far, but for an example check out Nobunaga's Revenge. Eventually I want every cell to look like that. And repeat items can link to the same core image (like for a generic Sega reg card, etc)

Edited: 12/02/2014 at 12:32 AM by supergamboy

Dec 7, 2014 at 2:53:36 PM
galacticlint (99)
< Dr. Robotnik >
United States
Every once in awhile I run across these sonic cards in listings.
Never seen them outside of Taz and Sonic 3 Mega Hits.
The front looks like it's shiny foiled on the background.

Anyone have any idea what's the do-wah on the diddy?

Dec 7, 2014 at 8:18:08 PM
supergamboy (113)
(Sanford ) < Boogerman >
United States
I've seen the Sonic one, but I never trusted it. Didn't think it originally came with it. I just thought it was one guy adding it in, like only_one_chance did with things like the Immortal letter opener.

A few years ago sealed Sonic 3 mega hits was cheap. If I'd bought 2 I'd have opened one. But from what I've seen, every single mega hits contains the same two inserts. Maybe I'll watch for a cheap sealed Taz MH.

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:52:57 PM
supergamboy (113)
(Sanford ) < Boogerman >
United States
bumping this up for knowledge.

Let me know if you have any information to add. It will probably always be a work in progress so any help is appreciated

Also, if you have a question about a game like "Hey, what inserts did ____ come with?" let me know. Even if its not in the spreadsheet it might be something I have in my collection and can add or I can research it to make sure it is added.

Edited: 01/25/2015 at 11:24 PM by supergamboy

Jan 31, 2015 at 12:37:32 AM
galacticlint (99)
< Dr. Robotnik >
United States
I'll have some stuff for you as soon as I get it organized, I've been being quite the useless sack of shit lately it seems.

Feb 10, 2015 at 10:22:54 PM
galacticlint (99)
< Dr. Robotnik >
United States

Last one is Mighty Max, it has an Ocean reg. card.

Edited: 02/10/2015 at 10:24 PM by galacticlint

Feb 11, 2015 at 5:26:37 AM
galacticlint (99)
< Dr. Robotnik >
United States

Feb 11, 2015 at 8:10:48 AM
supergamboy (113)
(Sanford ) < Boogerman >
United States
Cool man, I'll slowly start working these in. They generally look right. I'm probably not gonna mess with Revenge of Shinobi,.. too many print variations to have confidence in getting it right. But maybe I'll put it in red.

Man, that Sonic "Cool Kid's Know" trading card is interesting. I've seen it before with Sonic 3 (Mega Hits) and gone, what the fuck is that? But I never really regarded it since my Sonic 3 (Mega Hits) is sealed, so I thought to myself, well, whether its there or not, mine is 100%. I've seen it so infrequently (though very awesome that you have kept track of it so many times) that I would think (maybe) that it wouldn't come in every copy of a game? Like if the first round of Sonic 3 Mega Hits had it, but a later indistinguishable second print didn't have it? I don't know. Very awesome nonetheless, I'll be sure to make note of it in my spreadsheet.

Feb 11, 2015 at 10:27:18 PM
supergamboy (113)
(Sanford ) < Boogerman >
United States
I already had that Might Max Ocean Reg Card in my spreadsheet, but I went ahead and opened up my sealed copy (GA rating release) and found that it included a "Majesco Sales GENESIS Classics" reg card in it, so now both entries should be fully complete

Feb 11, 2015 at 10:36:29 PM
supergamboy (113)
(Sanford ) < Boogerman >
United States
So among Sega published games, I think we'll start to see a pattern in inserts.

For example:
ToeJam & Earl Poster
"Game Gear Separates the Men from the Boys" Insert
Sega Consumer Reply Card

Those three inserts have been packed into:
Decap Attack
Galaxy Force (maybe - need to watch to see if any copies have TJ&E poster)
Kid Chameleon (maybe - need to watch to see if any copies have TJ&E poster)
Toki Going Ape Spit
Wonder Boy In Monster World

I'm sure there are more, just posting it as it came to me as I was inputting info

Another example (the sega classics insert) - I put them in the below order since thats how it appeared (left to right) when I opened up my copy of Cyborg Justice

Batman Returns Poster
"Get a Grip" Sega Game Gear poster/insertre">
"The Best for Less" Sega Classic insertre">
Sega "Consumer Reply Card" [SW 1/92]

Games that have it:
Chakan
Chiki Chiki Boys
Cyborg Justice (I opened this one up sealed)
Dinosaurs for Hire (already in my spreadsheet)
Evander Holyfield's Real Deal Boxing
Forgotten Worlds
Lightening Force (I own with these inserts and can confirm)
Shinobi III
Streets of Rage 2 (already had in my spreadsheet)

Holding off on adding Sonic 2 (unless I know specifically which print run) 
I am also holding off on Biohazard Battle since it breaks the pattern (ie it has a Sonic 2 poster) so I'd want to see it a few more times first

Edited: 02/11/2015 at 11:22 PM by supergamboy

Feb 12, 2015 at 1:09:02 AM
galacticlint (99)
< Dr. Robotnik >
United States
Originally posted by: supergamboy

Galaxy Force (maybe - need to watch to see if any copies have TJ&E poster)
Kid Chameleon (maybe - need to watch to see if any copies have TJ&E poster)

My copies both have the poster and I found these in my picture folder.

The black grid games used this insert set from late 91 to well into 92.

Feb 12, 2015 at 11:36:06 PM

Feb 15, 2015 at 5:57:26 AM
galacticlint (99)
< Dr. Robotnik >
United States
BADDA BING, BADDA BÜM

(Golden axe II poster seems to vary, I have seen poster variance in several grid games like Alien Storm, Dungeons n Dragons, Shining in the Darkness)

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:14:55 AM
supergamboy (113)
(Sanford ) < Boogerman >
United States
Yeah, double dribble has a poster. I think its the Lethal Enforcers one. I'll need to check my own copy. I didn't realize I hadn't added it to my spreadsheet, good catch.

Yeah, Golden Axe II has bothered me. I'm pretty sure there is a Golden Axe II poster.
But I have definitely seen the ToeJam & Earl poster packed in with it. I might have seen the Golden Axe II poster with Golden Axe II, but someone could have also just swapped it in "because the game matched" (like people do with the Double Dragon V poster that came with Troy Aiken).

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:27:10 AM
supergamboy (113)
(Sanford ) < Boogerman >
United States
The other thing I've wanted to note, there are a few different Sega Reg cards.

In the bottom corner of them there is some kind of date indicator. SW 1/92 is one I remember - that is the one with Batman Returns, Game Gear Get a Grip, and Sega Classic insert.

I've noticed at least 2 others (but I'm not at home at the moment to check)
One of them is a /91. They could both be /91 or maybe the other is /93.

But I imagine all the ones paired with "TJ&E poster" and "Game gear separates the men from the boys" insert will be the same Sega "Consumer Reply Card" - so as I populate the spreadsheet I want to get all the info there is included

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:16:20 PM
galacticlint (99)
< Dr. Robotnik >
United States
Pretty certain at this point that Shining in the Darkness comes with the Sega Vision / Pantheon poster and a 3/91 Sega reg.

At least four pics of it complete shown like that.

Feb 27, 2015 at 10:41:20 PM
supergamboy (113)
(Sanford ) < Boogerman >
United States
Updated Shining in the Darkness. I also added the inserts for Shining Force hard nip that you mentioned in the other thread

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:23:07 AM
galacticlint (99)
< Dr. Robotnik >
United States
This seems to be the dominant theme with Alien Storm, I've been watching it for awhile.
It varies a bit but these always recur.

Edited: 02/28/2015 at 07:25 AM by galacticlint

Feb 28, 2015 at 11:09:32 AM
supergamboy (113)
(Sanford ) < Boogerman >
United States
Ah! So that's where that poster has been packed in with!

I've seen that poster unfolded and I forgot what it looked like folded up, but I don't think a single game in my own collection has it. Good to know!